PDA

View Full Version : how many get responses here?

tko
12-19-2010, 01:22 AM
I didn't get a single response to my post here (well, one abortive response.) Can my summary be that bad? Or no one's interested in my type of novel? Or people just don't get many responses here?

I'm now pursuing alternate sources of beta readers, I've beaten through Amazon, not much luck, now looking elsewhere.

Jessianodel
12-19-2010, 01:26 AM
I think you just have to be patient. It's possible not a lot of people are interested and those that are have a full load of beta reads. I've seen plenty of threads with posts so you just have to relax.

BarbaraSheridan
12-19-2010, 01:35 AM
I think you just have to be patient. It's possible not a lot of people are interested and those that are have a full load of beta reads. I've seen plenty of threads with posts so you just have to relax.

Ditto that. You have the thriller, right? 110,000k? That's a big commitment and not many folk have that much free time during the holidays.

defyalllogic
12-19-2010, 01:48 AM
it is very likely a bad time to be looking for betas. I and everyone i know is busy busy busy. Mid-January, work loads and lives tend to slow down and people have more time to spend.

I wouldn't expect much for about a month. also, this place is filled with writers who are busy writing . it's hard to find a beta in general.

suggestions:

In your post, give a clear summary. Explain exactly what kind of edits your looking for. let people know if you've edited and how much. If you can, offer to exchange (otherwise you're asking for something for nothing. You're not just giving away a free read).

good luck

Elaine Margarett
12-19-2010, 02:08 AM
I just posted my request for a beta, so I'll let you know. :-)

And yes, this is probably a tough time to find a beta considering the busy holiday season.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Elaine Margarett

amyashley
12-19-2010, 02:36 AM
It may be timing. It may be that you wanted specifically thriller readers. IMO the best betas are authors who read widely and will inspect your work for its quality and merits.

I would offer, but my plate is very full and I have three permanent crit partners.

I got multiple responses to my beta post, and strongly advise others to take a look. It is very specific about what I look for in beta and what I am willing to offer in return. Many people welcome that. I had 10 responses within 48 hours.

Offer to give them the first 3 chapters, and also don't take the first one that hops on. I know it has to be tempting. Take a look at their work too. Make sure they can write. It is a good sign they will recognize it in yours. Have them crit one chapter for you before you leave. I know it's fast, but they could squeeze it in.

Offer a swap for someone up already. You can take an MS with you and read it printed out.

profen4
12-19-2010, 06:22 PM
There is a "willing beta reader" thread. Have you PMed some of them yet?

BarbaraKE
12-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Ok, this is weird.

tko - I saw your original post and I swear I PM'd you because it sounded interesting. Maybe I did something wrong.

I am a 'mature' writer (haha) and I'm even a former MIT student (that's what originally caught my attention). I'm in a similar situation in that I am looking for a beta reader to get feedback on pacing and plot. My novel is approximately 85,000 words, historical with elements of horror. No graphic violence, very minimal cursing, no sex.

Interested? I'll trying PM'ing you again after I post this.

defyalllogic
12-20-2010, 07:01 AM
aww it's like a successful missed connections! (weird that I actually think it's cute/sweet?)

Chris P
12-20-2010, 07:11 AM
I think it's just hard to find a beta, period. Nobody is sitting around wishing they had more to do. I've had decent responses from about four people here, but only one developed into a good beta relationship, and that was on short stories and not novels.

What might be more productive is to participate in the forums (I know you do, I see your post count and I recognize your username), but especially by providing input in SYW. I know I'm much more likely to read for someone I've seen a lot on the board and have come to respect.

dragonangel517
12-20-2010, 07:09 PM
I did not get many responses from my post, but when I responded to others I got some requests. You just have to stick with it.

Rowan
12-20-2010, 07:49 PM
I got quite a few responses when I posted for a beta--mostly from individuals I "know" from posting in other forums. Not sure if that was due to the genre (AUF), or word count (97K), but either way, I agree with others who've said now is perhaps not an ideal time to find a beta. (Busy time for everyone).

Keep trying and don't give up hope! I'm sure you do already, but go hang around the thriller/mystery section and see if you can hook up with someone in there. :) Maybe you'll find someone who would consider a beta swap (if that interests you).

I also agree that offering up a chapter or three is your best bet. That gives the beta readers an opportunity to get a feel for your project, and determine if it's something they want to take on. 110K is a big commitment! :)

Good luck!!

Paladin
12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't generally go hunting for new stuff to beta. I've got my profile in the Willing Betas thread, and people come to me. I doubt I'm the only one like that.

quicklime
12-21-2010, 08:58 AM
tko,

I subbed a couple chapters alone in the SYW MTS section......that got quite a few visits, and it sort of gave me a lot of over-arching themes to take to my other chapters....I didn't need to sub the whole story for that.

It might be a good place to start, both because you get more instant(ish) gratification and also you get multiple opinions (a beta's advice is only worth whatever it is worth--some are good, some are not; I like the idea of getting multiple inputs) that you can incorporate into your work, all while waiting for your beta.

and yeah, I avoided beta-ing because I have enough trouble finishing my own shit, so I can understand others also not wanting to commit to a full-novel crit of someone else's work.....are you better spending half your time on someone else's work, or writing twice as much? Arguments could be made for both sides, so many choose not to beta.

Quick