Not open for further replies.

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
3pm EST C-Span 2 will show the vote.
Babbling McCain provided the total of the final arguments - words that were rambling and made no sense at all.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
McCain was such a homophobic bully during this entire process. I actually watched the live C-Span coverage on this one. It wasn't that fun, but I wanted to know as soon as the decision was made.

Last edited:

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! *happy dance*

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Can we join the military now?

I wanna be an Air Force Ranger

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Can we join the military now?

I wanna be an Air Force Ranger

After the bill is signed by the president you'll be able to join openly. Not yet.

Seriously though, I might have to do ROTC for my associates so I'm really happy I have the option to do this with one less thing to stress over.

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
Obama and Pentagon must decide when and "certify" the military is ready to let gays into the service, Lieberman was talking months (even years).
Also Obama is not stopping DADT discharges. Metro Weekly.

Deleted member 42

Plus there's still the Uniform Code section re: sodomy as a military crime.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Plus there's still the Uniform Code section re: sodomy as a military crime.

Yes... but... they would have to enforce that on the [redacted] in the military as well... theoretically...

It's difficult to see them getting away with that.

Last edited:

BudBoxer

All Write By Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
philcomer.blogspot.com
May not seem like much to so many, but "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was repealed by a Senate vote of 65-31, six Republicans joining Democrats. Those six Republicans did some close family member proud, and 31 Republicans shamed others of their own. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev, quoted the legendary Barry Goldwater, "You don’t have to be straight to shoot straight."

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
I'm happy to be proven wrong about Obama and the Dems getting this done. Yet as with the tax law, it comes attached to some bad news--the failure of the Dream Act.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy to be proven wrong about Obama and the Dems getting this done. Yet as with the tax law, it comes attached to some bad news--the failure of the Dream Act.

I was about to say the same thing. I can't fathom why they wouldn't pass the Dream Act. :(

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I was about to say the same thing. I can't fathom why they wouldn't pass the Dream Act. :(

I know. The stipulations that have accumulated in the Act are so overwhelming, I don't understand what reason the GOP had to begrudge it passage through the Senate. I fear that the DADT repeal may have overshadowed it.

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
I find blogs a good way to read what is going on in various communities. To see a little bit of the answer to your question search for these two blogs. Caution: you might want to bleach your eyeballs and computer afterward - I will not provide links, I do not want to raise the hit numbers; also someone might accidentally click on a link and take them places they do not want to be.
free republic, red state
Remember the caution, sometimes it is wonder than to know.

I know. The stipulations that have accumulated in the Act are so overwhelming, I don't understand what reason the GOP had to begrudge it passage through the Senate. I fear that the DADT repeal may have overshadowed it.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... glad to hear it :)
A huge step forward for equal rights. The US is founded on such. About time things were set in proper order. Still more to be done in that direction. Hopefully this will expedite things. In any event, great news!

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
OT:

Obama and Pentagon must decide when and "certify" the military is ready to let gays into the service, Lieberman was talking months (even years).
Also Obama is not stopping DADT discharges. Metro Weekly.

And so I found this newsweek article in a round about way.

The Tea Parties did it. Not only had they threatened establishment Republicans with primary opposition, but they had actually beaten one ... two ... three of them. Nothing like fresh heads on pikes to, er, reinforce a persuasive (to my mind) policy argument.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.4023:

Don't get too excited. There's nothing in there that says the military "has" to allow GLBT folk to serve.

The President as Commander and Chief has the ability to change the regulations that could permit openly lgbt individuals to serve. En lieu of the new cultural climate towards homosexuals serving in the military, DADT is the only thing that has kept Obama from making this change. He will definitely do so now. And once we have another GOP president, if they were to try and change the regulation back, I suspect the supreme court would get involved by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.