PDA

View Full Version : The name for this part of a boat/ship

MarkEsq
12-18-2010, 07:40 PM
My protagonist is being shot at as he stands on the deck of a houseboat/barge. The boat is tied to the bank (we're in Paris, on the Seine).

As he lies there, he looks towards the quay to see if his friend has been hit (bullets coming from a boat mid-river). But he can't see him because the side of the boat is in the way.

I feel like this should have a name. Normally I would put "railing" but that implies he would be able to see through. This side is solid. Wall, edge, siding, none of those feel right.

Anyone? Thanks!

thothguard51
12-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Gunnel...

Lhun
12-18-2010, 08:32 PM
The hull?
I'm not quite getting what exactly he's looking at.

Kenn
12-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Gunnel or gunwale it is. One point to bear in mind is that barges tend not to have them and a houseboat only would if it had been converted from a ocean-going vessel. An alternative might be to have him lying on the outer decking and hiding behind the cabin, while being unable to see his friend because of the edge of the quay.

Stanmiller
12-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Yep. Gunwale. From naval terminology when cannons were mounted on the main deck behind a protective wall. Gun wall = gunwale = gunnel.
Stan

thothguard51
12-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Unsure what they were called before cannons, and muskets, but even Viking and Roman ships had waist high walls with weep holes along the deck to let water out. They might have been called knee walls before, but not sure.

Xelebes
12-19-2010, 01:52 AM
Unsure what they were called before cannons, and muskets, but even Viking and Roman ships had waist high walls with weep holes along the deck to let water out. They might have been called knee walls before, but not sure.

In German, it is called a dollbord which translates to a bollock-board or oarlock-board. In French, it is called a plat-bord.

Stewart
12-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Try:
Gunwale, gunnel
or,
Bulwark
also,
wood trim on top would be called a rail, if raised above, or cap rail if directly attached to gunwale (i.e., the flying bullets would splinter the cap rail, but merely embed in or pierce the gunwale)
deck level drain holes through the gunwale are scuppers--you can look through them when you're lying on the deck (I do it all the time!)

tallus83
12-31-2010, 07:16 AM
Bulwark