PDA

View Full Version : ever been scammed?

kolemcrae
12-18-2010, 01:07 AM
What kind of writers scams have you come across? Whose screwing us over?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-18-2010, 01:11 AM
I believe you'll find information on lots of scams in the 'Bewares, Recommendations & Background Checks' (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22) forum.

alleycat
12-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Those poetry scams have to be on a "top ten" list, although they don't seem quite as common as they were a few years ago.

Cliff Face
12-18-2010, 02:52 AM
The only poetry scam I know about caught out someone I knew.

He wrote 3 poems and sent them in to this competition, right? Surprise surprise, he was told 1 of them made it into the book, and if he would just pay $75 he could get a copy of the book.

He was told he was in the running for the major prize, but he didn't win it. I have to wonder how many people in the competition were told that very same thing?

I try not to be too cynical - there's a chance this wasn't a scam. But then there's the $75 for the book...

bettielee
12-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Those poetry scams have to be on a "top ten" list, although they don't seem quite as common as they were a few years ago.

Yes. I was a child. A CHILD! And those bastards got my sixty dollars... and I got this sh!++y book with 100,000 million other shitty poems in it.

**shakes fist**

Bastards.

Cella
12-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Yes. I was a child. A CHILD! And those bastards got my sixty dollars... and I got this sh!++y book with 100,000 million other shitty poems in it.

**shakes fist**

Bastards.
ME TOO! OMG....

My mom brought the "book" over the other day because she thought I'd like to have it. I laughed and pointed out how my poem was on different paper, right in the front of the thing....

LOL....oh well.

but as far as scams go...I was taken by a company selling knives that didn't need to be sharpened, and I also remembering shelling out a hefty amount of money for some lovely pots and pans.

Oh, the folly of my youth :rolleyes:

kayleamay
12-19-2010, 07:54 AM
If I'm ever hard up for money, I'm going to sell all of my bridges to the Hood.

(Humor me, Red. Teehee!)

Cella
12-19-2010, 08:56 AM
(Humor me, Red. Teehee!)
As kids, Bettielee and Cella both sent their money down the drain to be told their "quality writing" (& prompt payment) would enter them into the wold of published novelists....

:roll:

Joke's on them!

Williebee
12-19-2010, 09:10 AM
scammed?

grrr Damn that Ed McMahon... grrr

:)

bettielee
12-19-2010, 11:19 AM
As kids, Bettielee and Cella both sent their money down the drain to be told their "quality writing" (& prompt payment) would enter them into the wold of published novelists....

:roll:

Joke's on them!

we were CHILDREN!!!! Bastards!!

damn and blast!!

*shakes both fists at the uncomprehending sky!!**

Shilma
12-19-2010, 06:08 PM
not really a scam, but the publisher declared themselves bankrupt after they said they would publish my novel and I waited for... 5 months I guess?

Wayne K
12-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Yes. I had an "Agent" that took me on as a client, and then after we had a publisher interested, she said, "Your writing needs help, I wont rep this book unless I'm the cowriter."

As bad as I wanted to get published I said, "No"

I checked her out, and she's cowritten 14 books with her clients and none by herself.

Another agent that rejected my ms, but liked me, told me to pass, so I did

Stlight
12-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Andyou aren't going to mention the agent's name? did you mention it on B&BC? Can we have a click through to the thread?

I did the poetry thing, but didn't buy the book. That was soooo far out of my budget that I didn't even have to think about it.