Are there too many writers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
To ponder the question in the subject line, please bear with me while I indulge in a little bit of history.

We live in the age of text. Marshall McLuhan (in "Understanding Media" and other books) predicted an decline in the printed word and a global village, united by "hot" media that appeal to oral tradition and immediacy. Like so many visionaries from the 1950s and 60s, he failed to predict the Internet and and that it would reverse this trend. If you are reading this, then you are living proof of it: the proliferation of content onto the Internet has meant that more people than ever before are reading. They might not be reading books, magazines, and newspapers but at least they are reading something; and they have more access to more written content than ever before.

Not only are they reading, they are also writing. Again, if you are reading this, then you are someone who likes to post to forums. There are also blogs; and any database-driven web site (i.e., one that was made with a content management system or CMS) has the capability of allowing people to post comments to articles on it. Even Internet technologies that are primitive in comparison, like Usenet newsgroups and mailing lists, encourage people to write. With so many tertiary sector jobs requiring computer proficiency, people are writing daily as a part of their work; anything from making documents to writing e-mails qualifies as such.

The result of this, I think, is that there are too many people out there who consider themselves to be writers or to be capable of writing. The self-publishing industry has partly risen in response to this, there being too many writers and not enough publishers (or rather, not enough money to publish every book that everybody writes).

If this is the case, then publishers benefit from a "buyer's market," meaning that we can pick and choose what we publish. Some would argue that it means that we can afford to pay writers less, but that has obvious negative implications for writing as a profession; if the rates for paying writers go down to too low a level, then fewer people will be motivated to write who are actually good at what they do and the pool will be filled only with amateurs, who are willing to take any rate as long as someone is interested in publishing them. That having been said, I can tell you that many publishers seem to think this way.

I have my own views on this. I like to think that if there are more people out there who are at least interested in writing and who are willing to indulge this interest in a conscientious way, then it will improve the general pool of content out there for publishers to consider.

My question to everyone here is, have you noticed over the years that there are too many people out there who are interested in writing, too many people who call themselves writers who shouldn't, or that there is too much competition to get published?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
The thing with writing is that people seem to assume that because they can string words together, they've already got what it takes to be a professional writer. But, as with everything else, the cream almost always rises to the top, and it's what gets noticed by people in general.

To you, self-publishing and the hordes of wannabe writers are a big thing because you are immersed in this medium. However, most people on the streets have no idea what self-publishing is and no interest to become writers. It just depends on what circles you move in, I guess.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I don't think there are any more wannabes, as a percentage of the population, than there ever were before. I just think that there are more ways for them to self-publish than there were before. And with the Internet, we see and hear about more than we used to. (Similar to the way I don't believe there's more bad news in the world than ever before; we just have a lot more access to a lot more of it than we did before.)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... though there are many more writers these days than there were in previous eras, as you say, the competition has stayed the same. That's because the pool of good writers hasn't changed and it's these writers you're really going up against when you submit. That's my 2 cents' view at least. Not being a 'good writer' myself, as yet, that's all I can offer. Feel free to dismiss what I've said as such and even scoff at it if you will.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Do not scoff at Ken in my presence. I will scratch you.

What's it matter? If you want to publish, you still have to write the best books you can and persist at marketing them. The rest is out of your hands. Unless, of course, you're planning to disseminate a bioengineered virus which will kill all wannabe writers except yourself. But let me warn you: writer-specific superbugs also attack agents, publishers and READERS! So you'd only be destroying your potential public by this nefarious plot.

Plus, if you tried that, I'd scratch you.

bip

has a dog with shifty eyes
Registered
Reaction score
The result of this, I think, is that there are too many people out there who consider themselves to be writers or to be capable of writing.

Wait, what? We lack the right laughter emoticon to reflect the chuckle this statement merits. Too many for what?

It may be true that society doesn't properly value good writing, but it's not the fault of bad writers no matter how many of them there are.

I think the population of writers is as stratified as that of any other endeavor driven by innate talent: There are the superstars at the top, followed by the very good, all floating on a sea of mediocrity and worse. That sea is comprised of people who may become very good or great some day (through talent and hard work), people who will eventually realize they lack the innate talent no matter how hard they work and move on to other careers, and a never-ending churn of dilettantes.

Sports, music, acting - writing is no different. Why would it be? Even business is stratified in this way, just think of the number of MBAs vs. the number of top CEO positions, not to mention the number of people who start businesses every year who have no education or experience starting or running a business.

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
My question to everyone here is, have you noticed over the years that there are too many people out there who are interested in writing, too many people who call themselves writers who shouldn't, or that there is too much competition to get published?

I think that anyone who writes regularly, who feels that need to get words out on screen or page, is a writer and should certainly be free to call him/herself that. The quality of what they produce doesn't change the fact that they share that need, and make the effort to get those words out.

Nor do I feel that competition is necessarily a bad thing. It sucks in some ways - the waiting times increase all the time - but it means as a reader I am (theoretically) getting the cream of an even larger crop. And if, as a writer, someone isn't quite (this month's fashion in) cream, there are lots more alternatives out there which means I can still read their books if their cream happens to be to my taste (and I manage to find that I want to read them).

It takes nothing away from me if a person who doesn't quite understand pacing (or grammar, or punctuation, or spelling) pours forth a few hundred thousand words and calls themselves a writer. Nor will I feel bad if they put it up on Smashwords, and go around calling themselves an author, any more than it takes away from me if Naomi Campbell calls herself an author.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yes. There are far too many writers. You should all stop writing now before we reach critical word mass and the universe implodes into a hypertext novel.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Even if everyone on the planet called themselves a writer, I still wouldn't be bothered. It's not as though they are stopping others being published.

Okay, I sympathises with the agents who have to wade through the slushpile. But I wouldn't deny anyone their attempt to break into a job they coveted.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Your definition of 'writer' seems to vary from paragraph to paragraph, from someone merely capable of writing, through people who write emails, blogs, self-publish, to those seeking a writing career with publication through a traditional publisher, so I'm not really sure what you mean when you suggest that there might be 'too many writers'.

artemis31386

All around miscreant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleymchristman.com
I don't think there's a such thing as too many writers. As a reader, with more published works (whether from reputable epubs or the big six), I get more choices as far as works in the genres I'm a fan of.

As far as being competing, yeah, you may be competing in the marketplace for readers attention, but for the attention of editors or agents you're really only competing against yourself.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The thing with writing is that people seem to assume that because they can string words together, they've already got what it takes to be a professional writer. But, as with everything else, the cream almost always rises to the top, and it's what gets noticed by people in general.

To you, self-publishing and the hordes of wannabe writers are a big thing because you are immersed in this medium. However, most people on the streets have no idea what self-publishing is and no interest to become writers. It just depends on what circles you move in, I guess.

I think Dama nailed it.

It's impossible to really know if there are more writers today than fifty years ago. The only thing we know for sure is that technology has given more writers the ability to share and express their writing through the Internet (blogs, forums, etc...) and POD technology. Writers aren't just limited to scribbling in notebooks and passing it to their friends; they can post it on their blog, their Facebook, or print it out via Lulu.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
No, can't say that I do think there's too many writers out there. It's like saying there are too many people playing cricket, or sploshing paint on canvas.

What does this guy propose? A cull?

'Look sir, a weakened one, we could split it from the pack. It'll be doing it a favour really, and it'll leave more words for the healthy ones to feed on.'

'Well done that man, the stuffed head will look very nice next to Hemmingway's in the blue drawing room. Pass me my elephant gun'. *bang!*

People enjoy writing - is he proposing they should stop, even if they'll never be published? Maybe they just want to produce a few for friends etc. Maybe tehir delusional about sucess like JK Rowling, or maybe they don't care how many sales they get on smashwords, or whether it's art or not. It's no skin off my nose if they do self-pub tbh. And then there's the ones who start off dabbling, like myself, just pratting about and find they like it and are passably good at it. Maybe I should stop too?

Is he really suggesting that people shouldn't pass their time how they please, as long as they aren't harming anyone? Does he have a point or is it just a lot of hot air? Only Smarties have the answer.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So what if the entire world wanted to call themselves writers? So what if it became everyone's favorite hobby? Is it such a special, important term that the professionals can't share it with the great unwashed masses?

There are so many flavors of writer. Mommy bloggers, freelancers, genre fiction, literary stars: I think there is room for everyone. I'm glad more folks want to celebrate and enjoy the written word.

RichardLeon

I have words. Be afraid.
Registered
Reaction score
What does this guy propose? A cull?

Genre vs MFA celebrity death match smackdown!

Like The Hunger Games, but with laptops wired to explode if the crowd shareholders aren't totally satisfied.

Winner Survivor gets a broken Kindle, and a lifetime supply of e-books about building your brand on Twitter.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
There are more writers and more writers able to get their stories out there. That's a buyer's market for readers. There are more options now than ever before, and there are more books, ebooks, chapbooks, short stories, etc. in every genre than any reader could hope to read in a lifetime. A wealth of choices, all across the boards.

I'd also argue that there are also too many agents and publishers looking for the next blockbuster rather than building a writer's career, but that's a different thread. :D

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. There are far too many writers. You should all stop writing now before we reach critical word mass and the universe implodes into a hypertext novel.

In such event, who will be left to read it???

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Genre vs MFA celebrity death match smackdown!

Like The Hunger Games, but with laptops wired to explode if the crowd shareholders aren't totally satisfied.

Winner Survivor gets a broken Kindle, and a lifetime supply of e-books about building your brand on Twitter.

What if you're both genre and MFA? T_T

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there can really be too many writers, just as there can't really be too many artists or dancers. I think it's generally a good thing for people to make creative efforts.

I suppose there could be more potential writers today in the U.S. since we have higher literacy levels, but it's probably not that much higher of a population percentage.

But just because there are a lot of writers doesn't mean they'll all be competing in the same market at the same level, or that they'll all be "competing" at all. And I think, more often than not, those who do stand out deserve it. I'm fine with more competition if it means more great writers.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey AE,

If this is the case, then publishers benefit from a "buyer's market,"

Not to be pedantic, which would be so unlike me, but, technically, publishing is, by its very nature, a buyers' market. :D And six commas in one sentence is worth pointing out more than finishing my argument!

As for too many writers? I had the misfortune to watch 10 minutes of X Factor Idol or something and, by God, some of the people that turned up for that really thought they could sing.

That's the nature of ambition. And delusion. But if it doesn't scare the horses, why worry about it?

And finally: Like most visionaries of the 50s and 60s,

Marshall McLuhan casual viewing, head buried in the sand...

Anyone for a game of spot the lyric?:D

Regards

Whacko

Status
Not open for further replies.