PDA

View Full Version : I am Speechless -- or should I say Thpeechleth?

aruna
12-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Quite literally!

Yesterday I had an operation - a bone graft inside my mouth. Three bits of bone were removed from my lower jaw and placed in my upper jaw. I have a gap of six front teeth: three were extracted 35 years ago, the other three a couple months ago. I had a bridge for 35 years and a denture for a couple of months and now I'm getting implants and it's is scary!

My mouth is full of stiches. The operation was scary! A lot of sawing and scraping and blackboard screeches. And now my face is swollen up and I can only eat baby food and not talk properly and tomorrow I'm going to swell up like a balloon! I'd take a photo but don''t want to scare you away forever!

Anyone else has implants here?

MissMacchiato
12-17-2010, 02:15 PM
You poor old thing!

I haven't had implants but I had 4 wisdom teeth taken out as a teen. My maxillofacial surgeon said I had one of the smallest mouths he'd ever worked on, and I did swell up like a balloon.

Nevermind, it doesn't last long, and it does get better. Plus think of how gorgeous your teeth will look, if they don't already!

Anyway, I hope you recover quickly and painlessly!

aruna
12-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Thankth!
It'th not tho painful today but I am listhping all the time!
Thank goodneth, my dear thon hath come to run the houthhold!

scarletpeaches
12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I recommend a wee tot of whithkey.

aruna
12-17-2010, 03:16 PM
I am not allowed to drink alcohol for two weekth. No Chrithtmath thpiritth!

scarletpeaches
12-17-2010, 03:18 PM
That thuckth.

alleycat
12-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Now someone will give you speech recognition software for Christmas . . .

aruna
12-17-2010, 03:34 PM
That thinkth.

leahzero
12-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Thith thread deliverth.

aruna
12-17-2010, 03:39 PM
For the next thickth dayth - it'th thoup. Thoup for breakfatht lunch and thupper.

Shakesbear
12-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Aruna I am not sure if you will find the following funny - but can I apologize in advance if you laugh and it hurts.

Not had implants but a lot of dental work due to rotten work when I was a kid. Most memorable was lying flat on my back for over two hours while three caps were fitted. I could not feel anything in my mouth but I could sort of see that 'stuff' was being removed. The dentist said 'almost done' and then asked me to bite down as hard as I could to make sure the 'bite was right'. So I did. The dentist bent double over me and knocked all the air out of me. The dental nurse gripped her sides and slide down the wall laughing. I felt that I was in a living Magritte painting. Seems that the dentist had not removed his little finger and that I had bitten him. Very hard as requested. The dental nurse realized that she was the only person who could do anything - she got another dentist to, er, finish me off and took my victim down to A and E to have his finger x-rayed. His little finger looked like a bright red electric bulb. I had not broken any bones in his finger. I still have one of the caps he installed.

Shakesbear
12-17-2010, 03:47 PM
For the next thickth dayth - it'th thoup. Thoup for breakfatht lunch and thupper.

I like thoup.

Broadswordbabe
12-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Ooh, my sympathies! I've had horrible problems with my teeth since I was a kid, but nothing as scary as grafts. I did have to have my wisdoms out in my 20's (they showed me the x-ray they took beforehand -the damn things were going in all directions, it looked like early attempts at rocket launching) but I had a fairly easy time of it, unlike the woman in the next ward. They had to break her jaw to get one of them out. Mind you I did look like a hamster for three days.
What a pain about no drinkies, though. Rotten timing!
And Shakesbear - was that really an accident? ;-) Because there were times, during my many visits to the dentist as a kid, that I would have been seriously tempted to bite him.

scarletpeaches
12-17-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm eating a packet of crithpth. Cheethe and onion. Thame you can't thare them, aruna.

Shakesbear
12-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Ooh, my sympathies! I've had horrible problems with my teeth since I was a kid, but nothing as scary as grafts. I did have to have my wisdoms out in my 20's (they showed me the x-ray they took beforehand -the damn things were going in all directions, it looked like early attempts at rocket launching) but I had a fairly easy time of it, unlike the woman in the next ward. They had to break her jaw to get one of them out. Mind you I did look like a hamster for three days.
What a pain about no drinkies, though. Rotten timing!
And Shakesbear - was that really an accident? ;-) Because there were times, during my many visits to the dentist as a kid, that I would have been seriously tempted to bite him.

Yes it really was! I had no idea that his finger was still in my mouth. Obviously neither did he. There have been dentists since that I have wanted to bite. Except my last one. I was in love with him... sigh ....

Captcha
12-17-2010, 04:03 PM
I had an implant, but it was just one tooth, and no bone grafts or anything were required. Mine sounds much less traumatic than yours!

Enjoy your soup, and remember - this is a GOOD thing. You did this on PURPOSE! YAY!!!

Sophia
12-17-2010, 04:06 PM
I did have to have my wisdoms out in my 20's (they showed me the x-ray they took beforehand -the damn things were going in all directions, it looked like early attempts at rocket launching) but I had a fairly easy time of it, unlike the woman in the next ward. They had to break her jaw to get one of them out.

Argh! :scared:

I have one like that, growing completely on its side, and almost completely under the gum. I get X-rays done once a year to check it's not causing problems, because at that point it'll need taking out. I'm utterly dreading that day!

I have a small mouth, too, and had to have three or four removed when I was around 12 just to make room for the rest. Was terrified of dentists as a child (and remember a dentist swearing when I bit him out of fear), but then found a fantastic one when I was a student, and actually looked forward to the checkups because she was so nice.

Nowadays, it's back to fear. There's a huge turnover rate here, so it's very rarely the same dentist twice. Checkup due in a couple of months... :(

aruna, get well thoon!

regdog
12-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Implants are a long procedure, time wise. Good luck and feel better soon.

aruna
12-17-2010, 04:18 PM
My problems began in 1975, when I fell on my face and killed three front teeth! They tried to save them by removing the nerve and filling it up with something else but that was excrutiatingly painful and didn't work so they had to extract them, file down four teeth on either side, and put in a seven-tooth bridge! That lasted till a few years ago when a dentist found out that one of the "holding" teeth was rotting at the root so they had to be extracted as well!
The cheapest option would have been to go for a denture and I did try that out but I hate it -- the roof of my mouth is all plastic and one of the new teeth is wonky.

The dentist himself, and his assistant, are wonderful. Very careful and attentive. The dentist even got a colleague to drop me home in her car afterwards, though it's in walking distance. I guess the worst is over though -- and yes, this is something I WANT. I've been considering it for over a year, had estimates from a variety of dentists, considered doing it in Germany -- but finally opted for this one. It's still bloody expensive, though!

It's no longer painful but I look like a rhinocerous! I can't possibly leave the house like this.

Haggis
12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
*giveth Aruna a bag of gummy bearth*

regdog
12-17-2010, 04:55 PM
*giveth Aruna a bag of gummy bearth*

You are so helpful.

Haggis
12-17-2010, 04:57 PM
You are so helpful.
Thankth.

Leah J. Utas
12-17-2010, 05:50 PM
I have three dental implants. No bone grafts and I was on a Valium drip for the surgery.
It's a front tooth plus the two beside it. Teeth #2 and #3 are bridged as the space was small and they wouldn't stay in.
Overall I'm happy with them, but the bridged teeth gave me some trouble until a different glue mixture was used.
Best of luck with the work. Once it's done I'm sure you'll be happy.
It's been nine years since I got mine. My only advice is to floss as though your very life depended on it.

Mr Flibble
12-17-2010, 06:15 PM
thith thwead makes my teef itch.

Hope you feel better soon!

Perks
12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I will bwring thoup and a soft thpoon to feed you wif.

aruna
12-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Best of luck with the work. Once it's done I'm sure you'll be happy.
It's been nine years since I got mine. My only advice is to floss as though your very life depended on it.
I'm already in the habit -- the whole thing had to be very carefully prepared and they wouldn't have done it if my dental hygiene (I use interdental brushes!) hadn't been perfect, as I am prone to gum disease.

thith thwead makes my teef itch.

Hope you feel better soon!

The threadth of the thitcheth are very tickly!

I will bwring thoup and a soft thpoon to feed you wif.

No good! I want a THOFT thpoon!

Perks
12-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Ha! I missed a trick.

Kitty Pryde
12-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Ouchie! Heal quickly!

*sends festive fat-free cran-raspberry fro-yo*

Snowstorm
12-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Whimper and sigh occasionally. Wince more often. Get everyone to pamper and pet you and bring you lots of ice cream.

I've never had anything like what you're going through, aruna. Get better soon! :Hug2:

alleycat
12-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm guessing my Christmas gift of peanut brittle and Sugar Daddys aren't going to be as enjoyable this year . . .

backslashbaby
12-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Ow!! I bet you look like a chipmunk. I had TMJ surgery and went out, and checkout ladies said they thought I was a battered woman before I explained it.

The big dental thing for me was also wisdom teeth. Although I fell, too, as a kid and have had bonded lower front teeth ever since :D

With the wisdom teeth, I wanted to save $$ and have a big pain threshold, so I said let's not put me under. The doctor just laughed. Something about sawing, yeah ;)

aruna
12-18-2010, 12:02 AM
I don't HAVE any wisdom teeth!
My son has been serving me all day, cooking and all. I should do this more often. He keeps saying looking at me breaks his heart. That's how mad it is. I pulled back my lips and showed him the stiches and he screamed the place down. I'm a monster and I refuse to leave the house!