The Bio

A.REX

Registered
Reaction score
I did a search and drew blanks. An agent asked for my 3 chapters, a synopsis and bio. My synopsis is so-so but it might do the trick, however, the bio! ? What do I put in there? I've never done anything consequential with writing to list. I work full time at a dull job, and write at night. Should I include a small picture next to my name? like a business card would do, or does this send off bad signals?
Thanks. I finally got the call for my work and I owe a lot to the advice on this board!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't have any writing credits, contest wins or an MFA, don't worry about it. Come up with a clever line or two that will set you apart from the herd.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
One paragraph: say what you do for a living (I wouldn't mention it's dull :) ), that you write at night (can say what it is you like to write), and what you enjoy in life. Hobbies are nice to mention, especially if they are extravagant and funny. Or, you can mention you collect salamanders and exotic toads. I mean, who doesn't? ;)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If your synopsis is so-so you have worse problems than the bio

Serious

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Your bio might just be "Joe Jones lives in Omaha with his Labrador retriever." Don't sweat that at all.

The synopsis, on the other hand, has to be AWESOME, as Wayne K says. Drag it over to SYW and let folks help you jazz it up.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
My understand is if you don't have writing credits, or a work history or something that relates to your book, not to say anything at all on bio and/or credits.

For a query letter, yes, you are correct.

If an agent requests a bio, however, I would send one. I had one agent request a bio when she asked for a partial and my agent needed one when I went on sub (though I have no previous writing credits).

I kept it short with some details about what I did for a living and what influenced my writing.

A.REX

Registered
Reaction score
THANKS for the advice. I'll visit SYW and post my synopsis there (when I'm not mobile) and link it here.

Should I add a pic? Like Kathleen's post above mine, a little picture with the bio or forget it?

>>>where did the SYW thread go? didn't it used to be in the lab?

Last edited:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
THANKS for the advice. I'll visit SYW and post my synopsis there (when I'm not mobile) and link it here.

Should I add a pic? Like Kathleen's post above mine, a little picture with the bio or forget it?

>>>where did the SYW thread go? didn't it used to be in the lab?

Well that's not actually my photo... If you're writing fiction, I would not include a picture. Not sure about non-fiction.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
For a query letter, yes, you are correct.

If an agent requests a bio, however, I would send one. I had one agent request a bio when she asked for a partial and my agent needed one when I went on sub (though I have no previous writing credits).

I kept it short with some details about what I did for a living and what influenced my writing.

Thank you, Kathleen.

When an agent asked me for any writing credits, I did include them even though they were small press magazines. I also put in a line about myself, I think, but not much, because what I write is in no way related to my career.