Brandon Sanderson's SF Dialogue Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else doing it? It's mostly a 'for fun' thing, but they'll be posting entries and talking about them at Writing Excuses... if they get the forums back up (last I knew they weren't yet).

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Now I've got to try this...

The story he links to as all-dialogue works, though, because any text/tags would ruin the story...now I've got to do a lot of thinking, trying to come up with a story where no prose makes sense...

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
No, I believe he's aiming for 5-10 himself for his project, but we're able to do any length.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
No, I believe he's aiming for 5-10 himself for his project, but we're able to do any length.

I know that he's going for 5-10 pages from everybody. He says it very clearly right in the post:

Brandon Sanderson said:
You guys want to do a writing exercise together? I've been wanting to do some dialogue practice. We could each do five pages on a theme, and I could post my five for you to see, then look at some of the better ones on Writing Excuses and talk over strengths/weaknesses.

Write a five- to ten-page two-character dialogue with no tags or blocking. Try to evoke character, conflict, and plot using only dialogue. Include: a problem, two distinct individuals, a fantasy/sf element. Avoid: long monologues, exposition. Use context, not explanations.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah -- I'm a pro at dialogue (or at least I'd like to think it's a strength of mine) and even I balk at the idea of 10 pages of nothing but dialogue!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow...five pages with no tags, no blocking and no long monologues.

Interesting, but I feel it would bore me as a reader fairly quickly.

But that is just my taste in reading a mixture of scene, action and dialogue...

JRVogt

takin' the world by storm...one raindrop at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JRVogt.com
I tweeted Brandon about a story I'd had published through Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show that was pure dialogue (and he was kind enough to use it as an example of this kind of storytelling). For anyone interested, it's linked here: http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.com/cgi-bin/mag.cgi?do=issue&vol=i16&article=_003

Odd Jobs was a lot of fun to write, and the style was actually somewhat inspired by Terry Bisson's "They are Made Out of Meat," another all-dialogue offering that I found brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.