What's your time of rejection?

notsonew

Registered
Reaction score
I mean literally what time of day do you get rejections? Lately I have noticed that they are coming in the evenings and some even at night. WSY?

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I got requests for partial and then full at around 10pm and 11pm respectively from one agent (not on the same day, I hasten to add!). These guys work long, long hours - most of their reading takes place in the evenings and at weekends, fitted in around their work that needs to be done in office hours.

However, the timestamp on an email shouldn't be taken as gospel. Depending on how it was sent, it could have been queued in a mailserver for hours. Not usually a problem with individual emails, but ones sent to mailing lists are often delayed.

Last edited:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
For my current querying project for which I've only sent out 25 queries so far... I've gotten rejections all hours of the day/night. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of agents do queries in their spare time such as commuting, watching the evening news, et cetera. Unfortunately for writers, it's the type of activity that can fit into small chunks of time while being distracted by other things. But on the flip side, I send out queries while commuting, watching TV, and in other small chunks of time, because it's the type of activity I can do while I'm distracted by other things.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Eiro

Pull no punches!
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten Rs at all time of day -- from early as 5:30 in the morning to late as midnight, and all the hours in between. I don't think it's really all too surprising, since agents have to squeeze in the slush pile wherever the can fit it in their busy days.