Becoming a Lit Agent??

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dormroomdreamer.blogspot.com
I hope this belongs here, but I've been wanting to know where and how I can get an internship to become a literary agent without moving to NY. I know there are many in NY, but since I'm still a college student I would like to gain experience at an agency nearby, until I drop everything and take that plunge :/ I'd like a taste. I'm located in FL.

I also wanted to know if there is a career in this industry for those with a degree in public relations/advertising. Other than an agent--perhaps a scout or a publicist?

Any information would be great :) I really love this industry and would love to be a part of it in more ways than one (I'm a writer), but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Thanks!!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... an easy enough thing to research. Just look in the Writer's Market Guide To Literary Agents. It's organized by state I believe. If not, it wouldn't be too hard to browse through the listings and find ones in your state. There are probably just a few, if you want to intern at established and reputable agencies. I kinda recall that FL actually has a bit of a publishing industry. So maybe you'll get lucky :)

ps You might also try publishing houses. Good experience, too.

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks--I wonder why that hadn't occurred to me...

I did inquire with Brown Literary and Marlene Stringer of Stringer Lit, and Lucienne Diver, but the thing is either they have full-time assistants or because they work out of a home office they can't take on assistants. But looking into publishers is a nice idea! I can probably check em' out in Writer's Market as well.. Thanks :) This is helpful!

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful, Evvie. I don't know as much about other states, but Florida has had problems with less than reputable agents. Check them out like you would if you were sending a query.

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh I know! My poor teacher was scammed by Children's Literary and something with Publish America. I already stumbled upon Eaton Literary, which when I checked on here learned they aren't recommended b/c they send ppl to a editorial service. :/ I'm definitely trying to be careful :) Thanks!

Jstwatchin

Where's my head?
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be called a scout of anything. It appears that in the creative industries (writing, acting), those giving themselves this title more often are actually scouting your money than your talent. Reputable agencies usually have many more queries seeking representation than they can work with, so scouting for new talent is a bit moot. California has actually enacted laws this year aimed at this direction.

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
See--I saw that Michelle Andelman was a scout for a publisher for a short period of time before she joined Regal Literary and I was wondering what exactly that entailed. She seems to be a highly reputable agent or so I've heard in this forum. So are scouts for actual publishers considered bad?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
You scout for a baseball or other sports teams.

In the literary world, the players come to you.

You might be confusing what she meant versus what you think a scout is...

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Charlotte: Thanks for the post :) I've read it..I was kinda looking for more information on where to look.

Recently a literary agent intern told me that their are marketing internships for those who wish to go into book marketing. I'm also interested in something like that.

Btw Guard--were you talking to me or JSTWatching?

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
I know Fine Print just posted they were looking for interns and I couldn't really tell if you could do it from a distance from the post, so it might be worth looking into! :) Good luck!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I wouldn't want to be called a scout of anything. It appears that in the creative industries (writing, acting), those giving themselves this title more often are actually scouting your money than your talent.

You scout for a baseball or other sports teams.

In the literary world, the players come to you.

You might be confusing what she meant versus what you think a scout is...

No, there is such a thing as a literary scout. They generally work on foreign books/foreign rights, and search out books in other countries that they can sell to US publishers (that's not the only thing they do, or can do, it's just what the few scouts I'm aware of do, I believe). It's a very specialized thing, but quite a few agencies do have them, and quite a few of them do work independently.

You just don't hear about them/see them because they're not agents who take queries. But many times when you find a book published here that was originally published in a foreign country, it was found and sold by a scout.

See--I saw that Michelle Andelman was a scout for a publisher for a short period of time before she joined Regal Literary and I was wondering what exactly that entailed. She seems to be a highly reputable agent or so I've heard in this forum. So are scouts for actual publishers considered bad?

No, they're not. See my explanation above. :)

I have a question. You contacted a few agent; did you ask if they needed an assistant or if they needed/wanted an intern? They may not be willing to pay a greenhorn to come in and learn from the ground up, but they may be willing to let you come in for a few hours a week as an intern and do things like filing, getting coffee and lunch, sending emails or whatever for free, if you tell them why you want to do it.

I do know of a few agents who had out-of-state assistants, but am not sure how well that worked.

It's hard to get an internship, honestly. There are thousands of applicants. I urge you not to give up. Contact those agencies again, politely, with a more "sell-y" email, offering to work for free. Tell them you'll happily be their dogsbody, make their post office runs, pick up their groceries, and vacuum if they'll just let you watch them work for a few hours a week so you can learn, because you want to be an agent more than anything in the world. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Charlotte! Thanks I'll take a look (I'm hoping for a summer one though..hmm.)

And Stacie--wow thanks for clearing that up--I wasn't entirely sure myself. It definitely is and you're right I want an internship where I can see what's going on and what's happening. While email is effective...you can only learn so much.

I also let them know I wanted to be an intern and asked if they were looking for anyone. (I think I accidentally wrote assistant in my post..whoops!) That was actually a year ago--so I may email a few FL ones again and see if they are looking. I'm definitely looking for a summer internship--I want to be able to completely devote my time to it. This spring I'm interning w. an advertising agency and will hopefully learn more about marketing--not matter what I want to end up in the publishing industry. I'm just not sure if my place is as an agent, a publicist, marketer etc.

Can't seem to drag myself away from this industry though ;)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I know of at least one agent who has an intern in Colorado while the agency is in NY. It might be worth writing around and explaining the situation. So much can be done electronically now that you might be able to work something out. :)

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Kaitie :) I did read manuscripts for a lit agent once at one point via email (sadly, my course load became way too much to handle and it became apparent..really bummed about that--I'm a college student) English majors should never be allowed math classes...that's all I have to say. I was hoping for one in person, but then again doing one online just over the summer could solve my worries about not being able to dedicate my full attention. :) I'm really very curious about the querying process and how agents "shop" a manuscript around.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm amazed you have time as an English major. ;) I think all I ever did in my spare time was read literature.

Good luck and hope you find something that'll work. Did you talk to your professors?

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you Ms. Laughran! I knew I'd seen that somewhere! And Katie my professors have been very nice, but I'm rather surprised. Some don't know too much about the publishing industry..although I listened to one speak and he really did (but he was talking about querying for magazine writing) I guess it depends who you take. Thanks for the good wishes :)

erica_henry

Typing away 1 word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erica-henry.blogger.com
I'm glad that you asked about this. I just graduated with my B.S. in Liberal Studies and have no clue what to do with it.. lol. I'd love to get into the publishing, agentine, pretty much anything that has to do with writing in general. I'm planning on trying to intern or more importantly a job with one of the companies here. I like in TN and after doing some research and some of my lovely AWers offering advice, I've found out that TN is actually a pretty good spot to be in. They have a decent Christian market (not what I write but I figure that I can learn from it) and nonfiction market located here so you never know. I have also heard of several agents that work for companies that are actually across the country. Technology has opened up many doors. Keep your head up. If you want, maybe we can PM each other on our journies.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Hi, Evvie! :)
Here's one program I came across during my searches:
http://veritasliterary.com/internship.shtml

That's us. We're not looking at the moment, but I might post something here down the road when we need someone again.

One major word of caution. Working for a literary agent might seem like a way to advance your writing career, but it could actually be the opposite, for much the same reason that writers often discover that writing has spoiled their enjoyment as readers.

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
KingM I understand what you mean. That's something I would like to keep entirely separate if I choose to pursue becoming an agent. Writing is something else entirely. From what I can tell I should graduate first and pick up experience where I can. It's just an industry I can't seem to stay away from. I find it fascinating. So who knows :) But thanks for the lovely advice.