ISO Outrageous Condo Stories

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for ridiculous complaints brought up at condo board meetings. Have you attended these meetings? What was the weirdest issue a homeowner ever raised? How did the other attendees react?

I'm specifically looking for apartment condo complaints, but I'll take anything outrageous.

Thanks!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
There was a news story in Vancouver a couple of years back about a couple who had bats living in their condo crawlspace. It was news mostly because the bats were endangered and the couple couldn't evict them until after they were done raising their young. I think it was six months or something they had to live with the bats.

News story

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
There was a news story in Vancouver a couple of years back about a couple who had bats living in their condo crawlspace. It was news mostly because the bats were endangered and the couple couldn't evict them until after they were done raising their young. I think it was six months or something they had to live with the bats.

News story
That's hilarious! I like bats, but I sure wouldn't want them living in my bed with me.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I don't know if the followig story is funny, but it is a source of conflict.

My sister-in-law is about 50 years old. She and my brother never met until about 12 years ago, and got married just 10 years ago. But her apartment tennure goes all the way back to the early 1980's when she was in her 30's.

Around 1981, New York City was beset with crime. People were terrified to walk at night, even in the poshy neighborhoods of Manhattan. And my sister-in-law, i her 30's at the time, was just looking for a super cheap place to live.

She found a truly messed up neighborhood on the Upper West Side called Morningside Heights. It was a totally bombed out wreck of a neighborhood with boarded up storefronts and grafito everywhere. But the buildings -- all the BEAUTIFUL buildings! She just knew in her heart "This neighborhood will come back into fashion again one day, I know it will!"

She located a super-duper cheap apartment in an old 12-story building on 110th street near the corner of Broadway (which is where an express subway station is found!), that was built around 1905. The fact that it is 12 stories is very important -- in New York City, an old law going all the way back to about 1860 or 1880 (somewhere in there) mandates that any building within the City limits built to be 7 stories tall or higher MUST have an elevator. (And so, all the buildings in Harlem are only 6 stories high or shorter). Not only was every single building in all directions from my future sister-in-law's apartment a Pre-WWI building of beauitulf granite and lovely sculpting on the outside (grafiti be damned!), but they were all also "elevator buildings." None of the buildings in that neighborhood had doormen at the time (although they once did have doormen going back over 50 years) because the neigborhod was not classy enough ir highrent enough to have doormen (anymore). But having an elevator in a Pre-WWI building was really cool!

Well, she moved into that building in 1981 for a monthly rent of just $400 a month. And she was able to get rent-control. As the year's passed, crime in New York City began to wane, and the neighborhood she was living in slowly began to turn around. The grafitti disappeared. The closed up shop fronts started getting rented by fruit vendors and hardware stores and really nice cafes and natural foods markets. A new building owner took over her building, revitalized the building, and brought in the New York City Doorman's Union. So now, she was living in a "true" elevator buiding complete with a uniformed doorman on duty 24 hours a day. The whole neighborhood started going "doorman" at that point with lovely canvas canopies out in front held up by brass poles that the doormen polished every day, and flower boxes and potted plants out front on either side of those brass poles and flower boxes on all the first-floor windows. It was hard to tell this neighborhood apart from Park Avenue with all those brass-posts and canopies and flower pots and uniformed doormen.

By the late 1990's, the whole Upper West Side was becoming the hottest section of Manhattan to move into, and the beautiful revival of Morninghside Heights was the centerpiece of that new hot zone. My sister-in-law's building was most particualrly sought after because it was RIGHT ON 110th Street half a block from that express subway station found on the corner of 110th and Broadway. So rents i the neighborhoosd were through the roof But ... she had rent control! By the year 2000 (a year or so after she and my brother married), she and my brother were only paying $1,000 a month for an elevator building with a doorman half a block from an express subway station in one of the hippest most cafe-laden neighborhoods in Manhattan while newly-renting tennants in that same building were paying over $1,800 a month.

By 2004, the building decided to go condo.

What a fiasco!

She and my brother were paying a rent-contrlled rate of just $1,200 a month during 2004. The newly renting tennants were paying $2,900 a month. And if my brother and his wife wanted to buy their apartment it was going to cost $2 million.

The whole building was bitterly divided over the condo thing and decided to form a tennants' organzation to try and band together to make demands of the landlord as far as this whole condo thing went. I am not privy to all of the details of their demands, but I do know that about 30% of the building (including my brother and his wife) agreed to join that tenants' coalition to stand up to the landlord and make these demands, and so they all signed a "No-Buy Agreement" whereby they all agreed to abstain from buying the condos unless the demands were met. Well ... the demands were never met. And so they were all locked into the No-Buy clause. After the battle was lost, that 30% of the building started talking about forgetting the No-Buy agreement and to just let whoever wanted to buy go ahead and buy. But there were a few stalwarts who decided to hang on to the bitter end and they refused to release everyone/anyone else from the No-Buy agreement. So my brother and his wife never got to buy. She says that to this day (6 years later!) there are people in the building who will not speak to each other because of that whole situation -- people wo refused to even take part in the No-Buy agreement, as well as people who did take part and later wanted out of the agreement.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, my friend was living in a 3 BR house-ish condo connected to the units on either side of her. Also living with her was her teenage daughter, her fiance (who was 20+ years her junior), and her ex-husband. It seems like a really awkward living situation, but the ex paid her some rent, they all seemed to get along okay, and the kid got to enjoy the benefit of having both parents around.

ANYWAYS. This unusual living arrangement for some reason drove a few members of the condo board completely bonkers and they tried to have them all booted out. I believe it ended with the ex having to move out, which they were all pretty displeased with.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
My brother-in-law bought a condo recommended by my husband's sister's husband. I'm in real estate but he wouldn't use me as his agent or even ask my advice. He figured he could save money buying from the seller.

Well, he was moving in and his weird neighbor walked right into his unit and started a conversation without even saying hello. He did it again several times after my brother-in-law moved in because, apparently, the condo association gave him a key to keep an eye on the property after the seller moved out.

He complained, but nothing happened and he had to change the locks himself. (I smile slyly at the thought.)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I have nothing to substantive to contribute to this. I'm just baffled by the whole concept. My family has lived on the same piece of land for 199 years, and my nearest neighbor (one of my cousins) lives half a mile away. If he turned up on my doorstep, telling me how to take care of my land, I'd kick him out. If he turned back up, I'd bring my shotgun onto the front porch and tell him where he can stick his demands.

Maybe that might be an interesting angle: somebody who flat refuses to kowtow to homeowner's associations? Homeowner's associations sound like a bunch of big city busybodies to me, anyway.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The thing is, when you share a building or even a township and you move in and you sign an agreement, you sign away those absolute rights up front--or you don't buy.

All that happened when my place went condo is I send my rent to a different address and they pretty much stopped providing any and all services. As a renter I can't go to the meetings and the owners are absentee so they don't go either. I suspect the meeting involved one guy, a lawyer and a plate of cookies.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I have nothing to substantive to contribute to this. I'm just baffled by the whole concept. My family has lived on the same piece of land for 199 years, and my nearest neighbor (one of my cousins) lives half a mile away. If he turned up on my doorstep, telling me how to take care of my land, I'd kick him out. If he turned back up, I'd bring my shotgun onto the front porch and tell him where he can stick his demands.

Maybe that might be an interesting angle: somebody who flat refuses to kowtow to homeowner's associations? Homeowner's associations sound like a bunch of big city busybodies to me, anyway.
I'm talking about living in an apartment condominium (like a regular apt but you buy it instead of paying rent). It's much like a tenancy but, as an owner, you have input into how the building is run and maintained. If the common areas need painting, for example, the money to pay for paint and labour comes out of the coffers of the condo fund. Board members review contractor estimates and decide who will get the contract and when the work will be done.

As an owner, you can sit in on the condo board meetings and lodge complaints about how the building is maintained and run, and about other owners. I've read some condo board minutes and it can get quite petty. I just wondered if anyone had something outrageous to share. The characters in my WiP live in an apartment condo.