PDA

View Full Version : M*A*S*H

Eddyz Aquila
12-14-2010, 04:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M*A*S*H_(TV_series)

Timeless classic, my favourite show of all time.

Seriously they were so funny and yet so realistic about not only the horrors of war but life in general that it's very hard to even try to imitate them. Anyhow, what's your favourite episode and character?

I for one don't have a favourite episode but Klinger (and Hawkeye) was the funniest one of the bunch.

regdog
12-14-2010, 05:22 PM
One of my favorite episodes was when Radar mailed a jeep home piece by piece.

alleycat
12-14-2010, 05:25 PM
One of my favorite episodes was when Radar mailed a jeep home piece by piece.
I swear I was going to say that.

It's kind of like the "I swear I thought turkeys could fly" episode of WKRP.

Haggis
12-14-2010, 05:33 PM
I swear I was going to say that.

It's kind of like the "I swear I thought turkeys could fly" episode of WKRP.
This one.

Gordon Jump. A funny, funny man.

Satori1977
12-14-2010, 06:30 PM
I love Hawkeye. I will still watch reruns when I come across it on tv.

JasonP
12-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Not sure I have a favorite episode, but I really preferred the earlier cast with Trapper, Frank and Henry Blake. Though it was still good later too.

CaroGirl
12-14-2010, 09:20 PM
I also preferred the earlier cast. And I'm definitely no fan of Klinger. The closer the episodes were to my first loves - the book and feature film - the better. Later episodes of M*A*S*H took themselves too seriously, imo.

Jersey Chick
12-14-2010, 10:20 PM
My favorite episode is "A War for All Seasons" - where they go through an entire year. It's not really funny, but for some reason, I just love it.

Any episode with Colonel Flagg is usually pretty funny.

jvc
12-14-2010, 10:23 PM
I loved this show. Thought the earlier seasons were the best, but they were all great. I haven't seen them in ages, though. Strange, as they deserve to be repeated on tele more often.

dragonjax
12-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Best damn series finale ever.

CheekyWench
12-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Best damn series finale ever.

Yes! I remember staying up late to watch it. (I was like, 9.)

Jersey Chick
12-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Two years ago, my husband, mom, and BIL got together and gave me the entire 11 season run, and the finale for Christmas. The earlier episodes are still laugh-out-loud funny, but some of the later ones make me realize the show should've ended at least a season before it did. It was still good, but just not as good.

Manuel Royal
12-14-2010, 11:43 PM
The book was good; the movie was great; the series was watered down. Really funny sometimes. 'Way too preachy in its last few seasons.

Man, who knew the Korean War lasted eleven years?

Stormhawk
12-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Favourite episode: It's a tie between "Tuttle" wherein they make up a fake officer, and everyone acts like he's real, and "the one where Hawkeye gets hurt and paces around a Korean family's house talking about how he has a concussion".

Favourite character: Radar

CaroGirl
12-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Man, who knew the Korean War lasted eleven years?
And that no one ever went home in all that time (except one, but his plane was shot down).

YukonMike
12-15-2010, 12:33 AM
I remember being so sad when Radar went in the OR (without wearing a surgical mask) to announce that Col. Blake's plane had been shot down and there were no survivors.

Jersey Chick
12-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Radar went home. His Uncle Ed died and earned him a hardship discharge. In a later episode, BJ goes on a bender because his wife and daughter met Radar in San Francisco, and his daughter called Radar "Daddy."

Man, I need to get out more often...

Bookewyrme
12-15-2010, 12:43 AM
I remember being so sad when Radar went in the OR (without wearing a surgical mask) to announce that Col. Blake's plane had been shot down and there were no survivors.

That was the saddest episode. I cried. Still haven't seen the finale because they never seem to play the reruns of it on tv, and so far I haven't gotten around to buying all 11 seasons.

I prefer the later cast, mainly because I like Col. Potter and Honeycut better than Col. Blake and Trapper. And I really passionately and ardently hated Frank, and not in the way you're supposed to (I hate Winchester too, but plots involving his character amused me. Plots involving Frank usually just irritated me).

I think Honeycut and Hawkeye are my two favorite characters.

Manuel Royal
12-15-2010, 03:25 AM
I wish they could have done it without a laugh track, but in the '70s that was crazy talk. (They didn't use a laugh track during OR scenes, though.)

eyeblink
12-15-2010, 03:54 AM
I wish they could have done it without a laugh track, but in the '70s that was crazy talk. (They didn't use a laugh track during OR scenes, though.)

It was shown without a laughter track in the UK - except for one episode where they played the wrong soundtrack, i.e. the one with he laughter track. The BBC apologised afterwards.

That scene where Radar bursts in and tells the rest of the cast that Blake's plane had been shot down and everyone on board had been killed was unrehearsed. The look of shock on the other actors' faces was genuine.

Shadow_Ferret
12-15-2010, 04:43 AM
I hated how they made all the "Career military" seem like idiots.

BenPanced
12-15-2010, 05:24 AM
Yeah. One of the best "f*** you"'s from producers to an actor evarz.

Jersey Chick
12-15-2010, 06:50 AM
It was shown without a laughter track in the UK - except for one episode where they played the wrong soundtrack, i.e. the one with he laughter track. The BBC apologised afterwards.

That scene where Radar bursts in and tells the rest of the cast that Blake's plane had been shot down and everyone on board had been killed was unrehearsed. The look of shock on the other actors' faces was genuine.
If you listen, you hear something hit the floor in the background as the docs/nurses are standing around in shocked silence. Actually, a stagehand/grip dropped a tool of some sort and the producers liked what it added to the scene, so they left it in.

Useless facts. I haz dem.

Jstwatchin
12-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Liked the entire thing. Although the episode with Col. Blake's ending definitely stands out.

Definitely a timeless classic and worthy to be on perpetual rerun.

regdog
12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah. One of the best "f*** you"'s from producers to an actor evarz.

The producers got tons of hate mail for that. Fans were furious that they didn't just let Henry go home. After that the producers allowed cast members to decide their character's fate when they wanted to leave the show.

underthecity
12-18-2010, 05:55 PM
MASH was the first "adult" series I ever started watching when I was a kid. The very first episode I watched was when it was still brand new and shown on CBS on Thursday nights was (I think) from season 9, a long night of a heat wave, when Col Potter took a sleeping pill, and meanwhile Houlihan was suffering from a rash on her behind, Klinger had disassembled the PA system, Winchester was doing the family taxes in the mess tent, and BJ was obsessing over a letter from home--and how all the stories were converging. Hilarious episode.

The movie is among my favorite top 5 films of all time, but the series is very different.

I did like seeing how the characters aged and developed. They never really stayed stagnant, and at least referred to past experiences. Margaret mentioned her affair with Burns, Hawkeye would refer to to Blake or Trapper from time to time, they'd mention Radar, etc. Even Winchester developed quite a bit, and was perhaps my favorite character of the whole group.

When you watch the DVDs of the series, you'll see scenes cut for syndication that you've never seen before. Some of them are quite poignant, like when Burns once had a scene where he talked about being called "ferret face" when he was younger and how it affected him, or when Winchester was seeing a visiting nurse, and he had a very tender conversation with her that revealed his inner character. I'd never seen these before and thought they added a lot to the show.

JerseyGirl1962
12-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Favourite episode: It's a tie between "Tuttle" wherein they make up a fake officer, and everyone acts like he's real, and "the one where Hawkeye gets hurt and paces around a Korean family's house talking about how he has a concussion".

Favourite character: Radar

Yes, yes, yes!! The Tuttle episode was definitely my favorite, too! :)

Another fave (altho it's not funny at the end) was the one where Radar walks into the operating room to tell everybody that Col. Blake's plane had gone down: "There were no survivors."

I remember watching that and being almost dumbfounded. No, no, they couldn't kill off such a likeable character as Henry Blake. (And did you know that that scene had to be done twice? They eventually went with the first take, if I remember correctly.)

And, yes, my favorite was always Radar! ::squee::

IMHO, about the best damn writing for a TV show, too.

Nancy