People who don't cover their mouths when they cough

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
One of my younger brothers, unfortunately. He's a few months shy of his 47th birthday (we're "Irish twins", I guess), but he's never quite grasped the concept of "sneeze/cough and cover".

I saw him earlier today and he has a terrible cough, hacking away every few minutes. "I think it's the flooooooo", he says. "But I don't need to cover my mouth, 'cause I'm past the contagious phase. I am waaaaaaay past the contagious phase".

Something tells me that in a couple of days I'm gonna be laid up with the flooooooo. :mad:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
At work I will remind a patient to cover their mouth when they cough if they don't and hand them a box of tissues.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Quite apart from the hygiene, you'll be the "Irish Twins" from slightly west of Dublin. California or thereabouts?

ETA- looking for a smilie I pressed post instead.

So read this... as you must!

Last edited:

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Quite apart from the hygiene, you'll be the "Irish Twins" from slightly west of Dublin. California or thereabouts?

No, not Dublin, California. I'm much further south, on the far eastern edge of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. Although I'm half-Irish on the maternal side of my family, especially on St. Patrick's Day!:partyguy:

"Irish twins" is an American term for a pair of siblings born one year apart, give or take a month or two, whether they're Irish-American or not.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It's better to cough/sneeze into the fold of your elbow (not the pointy bit - the bit that gets smaller when you angle your arm). That way the germs don't make it into the air, and they also don't make it onto surfaces when you next touch a doorknob or whatever.

I has a knowledge. :)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
The "vampire" cough maneuver. I does it.

I used to work in retail and almost nothing grossed me out as much as someone hocking up a lung into the palm of their hand, (or sneezing into it) and then using that same hand to hand me $$.

Ew. It's on me, friend. Now go away.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
What Cliff said. I actually saw this proven on Mythbusters. Anyway, he can't be absolutely sure that he isn't contagious. And either way, gross! Who wants snot/spittle shooting through the air anywhere near them. That is so rude.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I've always coughed inside my shirt (I pull it up above my mouth, or if I sneeze). And I wash my hands before I eat in restaurants. People used to find those a bit odd in public, but not so much nowadays!

Kathleen_

Registered
Reaction score
My mother doesn't cover her mouth. She insists she does but she does it by making a fist with her hand and holding said fist several inches AT LEAST away from her mouth.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My mother doesn't cover her mouth. She insists she does but she does it by making a fist with her hand and holding said fist several inches AT LEAST away from her mouth.

That token effort is still more than my mum does. She has the flu right now, and has been coughing straight into the air.

*sigh* Some people...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always coughed inside my shirt (I pull it up above my mouth, or if I sneeze). And I wash my hands before I eat in restaurants. People used to find those a bit odd in public, but not so much nowadays!

Me too. :) My cooties, I'll keep them to myself.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I was behind two women going into a shop the other day. One coughed all over her hand, then used the same hand to push the door open.

I went into a different shop.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
That token effort is still more than my mum does. She has the flu right now, and has been coughing straight into the air.

most doctors will tell you that this is the fastest way to get better.

the science behind this isn't all that difficult to grasp either. you want to propel the flu virus as far away from yourself as possible until you've sent them all away.

coughing into your hands, sleeve, etc is counterproductive.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
coughing into your hands, sleeve, etc is counterproductive.
I fail to agree.

And so did the government campaign last flu season. "Catch it. Bin it. Kill it" was the mantra.
Catch it in a tissue. Bin it. Wash your hands.

But even if you're right and you want to expel them, that's not very nice to everyone else in the world is it?

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
well, i wouldn't put them in someone else's face. that's just rude.

if you are behind someone, doctors say that you should cough in their hair. the germs will stay there without harming the person until their next shower when they will be washed down the drain.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug:

seun, i reckon you could use their beard. ;)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
With manners like that, I'd say the infected will feel at home in France once we've herded them there.

Are we back on my 28 Months Later thread?

:Shrug:

seun, i reckon you could use their beard. ;)

Not sure how well that will go down. "Excuse me. Do you mind if I cough on your beard?"

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
well, i wouldn't put them in someone else's face. that's just rude.

if you are behind someone, doctors say that you should cough in their hair. the germs will stay there without harming the person until their next shower when they will be washed down the drain.

Some wench did that to me in the grocery store a couple of years ago. She kept coughing on my hair. IT WAS GROSS I came home and scrubbed myself.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
The following is from my blog.

http://sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com/2008/01/wax-job-from-hell.html

Sunday, January 6, 2008

The wax job from hell

This is the absolute worst experiecne I have ever had at a beauty parlor.

I was getting my eyebrows waxed. And the technicion was leaning very closely, hovering over my face as she brandished her tweezers. And then she coughed--right in my face. A fine spray of her spit hit me on my nose and mouth.

I was utterly appalled and opened my eyes and glared hard at her. And she barely noticed and kept right on tweezing. But then a moment later, she suddenly realized why I was annoyed and she began to apologize: "Oh! So sorry!"

I figured out later that she probbaly absent-mindedly assumed she still had her mask on (she normally does nails and yet while doing my eyebrows she had her dust mask down around her neck instead of over her nose and mouth). So in a way her mistake was understandable. But STILL! Yick!

And then she made a ridiculous error with one eyebrow --an error that I have not only never experienced myself, but never even heard of other women experiencing. She glopped the wax onto my right eyebrow and let it cool for too long before attempting to lay down the linen strip. But then when she finally did lay the strip, she was unable to get it to adhere. My right eyebrow was now crusted over with hardened wax and neither she nor I could get it off. She tried for five minutes to apply various liquid compounds meant to remove the wax, and none of them worked. Finally I demanded she just stop and let me get the heck out of there. After leaving that place in a quiet huff I spent the next half hour scraping away at my poor imprisoned eyebrow with my fingernail trying to get it all off.

An eyebrow waxing usually costs about seven dollars and this place was no different. She had the nerve to charge me the full price. I almost didn't tip her (I typically tip two dollars) but I gave it to her anyway. I guess I'm just too nice. But I will never go back.