PDA

View Full Version : People who don't cover their mouths when they cough

Vito
12-14-2010, 03:40 AM
One of my younger brothers, unfortunately. He's a few months shy of his 47th birthday (we're "Irish twins", I guess), but he's never quite grasped the concept of "sneeze/cough and cover".

I saw him earlier today and he has a terrible cough, hacking away every few minutes. "I think it's the flooooooo", he says. "But I don't need to cover my mouth, 'cause I'm past the contagious phase. I am waaaaaaay past the contagious phase".

Something tells me that in a couple of days I'm gonna be laid up with the flooooooo. :mad:

brainstorm77
12-14-2010, 03:41 AM
Yup, it's nasty.

Vito
12-14-2010, 03:44 AM
Yup, it's nasty.

It be soooooo nasty!

brainstorm77
12-14-2010, 03:59 AM
At work I will remind a patient to cover their mouth when they cough if they don't and hand them a box of tissues.

whacko
12-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Quite apart from the hygiene, you'll be the "Irish Twins" from slightly west of Dublin. California or thereabouts?

ETA- looking for a smilie I pressed post instead.

So read this... as you must!

Vito
12-14-2010, 05:05 AM
Quite apart from the hygiene, you'll be the "Irish Twins" from slightly west of Dublin. California or thereabouts?

No, not Dublin, California. I'm much further south, on the far eastern edge of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. Although I'm half-Irish on the maternal side of my family, especially on St. Patrick's Day!:partyguy:

"Irish twins" is an American term for a pair of siblings born one year apart, give or take a month or two, whether they're Irish-American or not.

Cliff Face
12-14-2010, 06:47 AM
It's better to cough/sneeze into the fold of your elbow (not the pointy bit - the bit that gets smaller when you angle your arm). That way the germs don't make it into the air, and they also don't make it onto surfaces when you next touch a doorknob or whatever.

I has a knowledge. :)

Vito
12-14-2010, 07:03 AM
I has a knowledge. :)
Knowledge is a good thing. :Lecture:

Jersey Chick
12-14-2010, 07:04 AM
The "vampire" cough maneuver. I does it.

I used to work in retail and almost nothing grossed me out as much as someone hocking up a lung into the palm of their hand, (or sneezing into it) and then using that same hand to hand me $$.

Ew. It's on me, friend. Now go away.

Satori1977
12-14-2010, 10:41 AM
What Cliff said. I actually saw this proven on Mythbusters. Anyway, he can't be absolutely sure that he isn't contagious. And either way, gross! Who wants snot/spittle shooting through the air anywhere near them. That is so rude.

backslashbaby
12-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I've always coughed inside my shirt (I pull it up above my mouth, or if I sneeze). And I wash my hands before I eat in restaurants. People used to find those a bit odd in public, but not so much nowadays!

Kathleen_
12-14-2010, 01:10 PM
My mother doesn't cover her mouth. She insists she does but she does it by making a fist with her hand and holding said fist several inches AT LEAST away from her mouth.

Cliff Face
12-14-2010, 01:57 PM
My mother doesn't cover her mouth. She insists she does but she does it by making a fist with her hand and holding said fist several inches AT LEAST away from her mouth.

That token effort is still more than my mum does. She has the flu right now, and has been coughing straight into the air.

*sigh* Some people...

Bmwhtly
12-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Don't worry. When we come to power, these people will be rounded up and herded into France.

regdog
12-14-2010, 03:05 PM
I've always coughed inside my shirt (I pull it up above my mouth, or if I sneeze). And I wash my hands before I eat in restaurants. People used to find those a bit odd in public, but not so much nowadays!

Me too. :) My cooties, I'll keep them to myself.

seun
12-14-2010, 07:21 PM
I was behind two women going into a shop the other day. One coughed all over her hand, then used the same hand to push the door open.

I went into a different shop.

cray
12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
That token effort is still more than my mum does. She has the flu right now, and has been coughing straight into the air.

most doctors will tell you that this is the fastest way to get better.

the science behind this isn't all that difficult to grasp either. you want to propel the flu virus as far away from yourself as possible until you've sent them all away.

coughing into your hands, sleeve, etc is counterproductive.

Bmwhtly
12-14-2010, 07:38 PM
coughing into your hands, sleeve, etc is counterproductive.I fail to agree.

And so did the government campaign last flu season. "Catch it. Bin it. Kill it" was the mantra.
Catch it in a tissue. Bin it. Wash your hands.

But even if you're right and you want to expel them, that's not very nice to everyone else in the world is it?

cray
12-14-2010, 07:40 PM
well, i wouldn't put them in someone else's face. that's just rude.

if you are behind someone, doctors say that you should cough in their hair. the germs will stay there without harming the person until their next shower when they will be washed down the drain.

seun
12-14-2010, 07:43 PM
if you are behind someone, doctors say that you should cough in their hair.

What if they haven't got any hair?

Bmwhtly
12-14-2010, 07:44 PM
if you are behind someone, doctors say that you should cough in their hair.With manners like that, I'd say the infected will feel at home in France once we've herded them there.

cray
12-14-2010, 07:44 PM
:Shrug:

seun, i reckon you could use their beard. ;)

seun
12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
With manners like that, I'd say the infected will feel at home in France once we've herded them there.

Are we back on my 28 Months Later thread?

:Shrug:

seun, i reckon you could use their beard. ;)

Not sure how well that will go down. "Excuse me. Do you mind if I cough on your beard?"

regdog
12-14-2010, 07:49 PM
well, i wouldn't put them in someone else's face. that's just rude.

if you are behind someone, doctors say that you should cough in their hair. the germs will stay there without harming the person until their next shower when they will be washed down the drain.

Some wench did that to me in the grocery store a couple of years ago. She kept coughing on my hair. IT WAS GROSS I came home and scrubbed myself.

Plot Device
12-14-2010, 07:50 PM
The following is from my blog.

http://sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com/2008/01/wax-job-from-hell.html

Sunday, January 6, 2008

The wax job from hell

This is the absolute worst experiecne I have ever had at a beauty parlor.

I was getting my eyebrows waxed. And the technicion was leaning very closely, hovering over my face as she brandished her tweezers. And then she coughed--right in my face. A fine spray of her spit hit me on my nose and mouth.

I was utterly appalled and opened my eyes and glared hard at her. And she barely noticed and kept right on tweezing. But then a moment later, she suddenly realized why I was annoyed and she began to apologize: "Oh! So sorry!"

I figured out later that she probbaly absent-mindedly assumed she still had her mask on (she normally does nails and yet while doing my eyebrows she had her dust mask down around her neck instead of over her nose and mouth). So in a way her mistake was understandable. But STILL! Yick!

And then she made a ridiculous error with one eyebrow --an error that I have not only never experienced myself, but never even heard of other women experiencing. She glopped the wax onto my right eyebrow and let it cool for too long before attempting to lay down the linen strip. But then when she finally did lay the strip, she was unable to get it to adhere. My right eyebrow was now crusted over with hardened wax and neither she nor I could get it off. She tried for five minutes to apply various liquid compounds meant to remove the wax, and none of them worked. Finally I demanded she just stop and let me get the heck out of there. After leaving that place in a quiet huff I spent the next half hour scraping away at my poor imprisoned eyebrow with my fingernail trying to get it all off.

An eyebrow waxing usually costs about seven dollars and this place was no different. She had the nerve to charge me the full price. I almost didn't tip her (I typically tip two dollars) but I gave it to her anyway. I guess I'm just too nice. But I will never go back.

kayleamay
12-14-2010, 07:52 PM
My favs are people who come into the ER hacking their lungs out, so we give them a mask. They wear it right up until they start coughing again. They pull the masks off and hack their nastiness all over the place. Then they put the masks back on.

I'm actually amazed that humans haven't become extinct yet.

cray
12-14-2010, 07:54 PM
My favs are people who come into the ER hacking their lungs out, so we give them a mask. They wear it right up until they start coughing again. They pull the masks off and hack their nastiness all over the place. Then they put the masks back on.

I'm actually amazed that humans haven't become extinct yet.

if you were a good nurse you'd let them cough in your hair to help them get rid of some of the germs.

*runs*

brainstorm77
12-14-2010, 07:54 PM
I was behind two women going into a shop the other day. One coughed all over her hand, then used the same hand to push the door open.

I went into a different shop.

Hopefully you wash your hands after shopping anyway.:tongue

brainstorm77
12-14-2010, 07:56 PM
if you were a good nurse you'd let them cough in your hair to help them get rid of some of the germs.

*runs*

Yeah and barf in her face.

kayleamay
12-14-2010, 07:57 PM

*runs*

Just remember who changes the batteries in the anoscope. Your number is up, bub.

cray
12-14-2010, 07:59 PM
ack!

:gone:

kayleamay
12-14-2010, 08:01 PM
You people...just...disgust me.

*flounces out of thread*

cray
12-14-2010, 08:04 PM
*sneezes in klm's hair as she leaves.*

Vito
12-14-2010, 08:22 PM

No biggie. Those masks are just a fashion statement, anyway.

kayleamay
12-14-2010, 08:24 PM
*wanders back in pretending that flounce never happened*
*slaps mask on the battery*

When I remind them that they need to keep the mask on when they cough, they usually say, "But I don't want to get it dirty."

Duct tape. I need duct tape.

Vito
12-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Superglue. That'll teach 'em.

Jcomp
12-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Even if I had a complete disregard for the sanitary aspect and consideration of others... my superficiality still makes me cover practically my whole damn face when I cough or sneeze. In fact, when I get sick in general I go into, "I don't want you to see me like this" mode like I was Liam Neeson in Darkman with his face melted off...

Gretad08
12-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Staples...that'll learn 'em

Vito
12-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Staples...that'll learn 'em
Yes!

czjaba
12-14-2010, 09:42 PM
We were making Christmas cookies today when my 6-yr-old sneezes. She says, "Oops, these are bad now, right?" And starts eating them right from the baking sheet.
I don't know what to call it. Not sure if I taught her manners or not, but she was determined that the cookies were now infected with her germs.
I have 3 kids and I try to teach them to use a tissue when they sneeze or cough or at least use the crook of their arm, but I'm not sure if my message always get through or not.

But, at least I got her message. That means I'll be baking more cookies tomorrow.

Izz
12-15-2010, 12:13 AM
We were making Christmas cookies today when my 6-yr-old sneezes. She says, "Oops, these are bad now, right?" And starts eating them right from the baking sheet.
I don't know what to call it.Smart. That's a smart kid you've got there.

backslashbaby
12-15-2010, 03:45 AM
:)

I had a manager when I waited tables who scolded me for washing my hands -- very quickly -- every time I'd cleared plates and silverware from folks. We didn't have time. We were bringing out your food in our hands.

You're welcome :)

I got tipped less for being a tad slower than other staff. Just sayin'!

Vito
12-15-2010, 06:05 PM
:)

I had a manager when I waited tables who scolded me for washing my hands -- very quickly -- every time I'd cleared plates and silverware from folks. We didn't have time. We were bringing out your food in our hands.

You're welcome :)

I got tipped less for being a tad slower than other staff. Just sayin'!

I think you need to give my brother some lessons on thoughtfulness! I'm actually thinking about buying a hospital mask, superglue, and staples, and stashing them away until the next time he has the "floooooooooo". ;)

mario_c
12-15-2010, 08:43 PM
There's a coworker right behind me and to the right who coughs all the way through her shift. She's been like this for months. And of course makes no effort to cover her mouth - we have the half cubicle arrangement so everyone is stuck there, suffering in isolation yet with the spying ears of management around every corner, and they sink into their little cocoons of slovenliness, stuffing food into their faces and passing gas and spitting in disgust at callers :rolleyes:. But damn, woman, the whole office can hear you not cover your mouth! All day!
When I snap, she goes first. :tongue

Eudoxia
12-16-2010, 12:08 AM
I cringe every time someone near me coughs or sneezes without covering their mouth. I find it disgusting seeing all the debris that comes out of someones mouth when they sneeze. People think I'm a germaphobe because of this, but really it's just friggen gross and I don't want to get the flu anytime soon!

whacko
12-16-2010, 12:35 AM
When I was 21, I caught the mumps. Or measles.

My mother phoned the doctor's and was told to take me up to the Waiting Room toot sweet. Naturally, mummy dearest pointed out that this wasn't A Good Idea. Yes it is, she was told.

I walked into the surgery. The place emptied.

!0 seconds later, I was flat on my lovely face.

And the moral of this story?

My line to the doctor:

Keep the swelling but get rid of the pain!:D

cray
12-16-2010, 01:07 AM
aaaaah....

aahhhhhh.......

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/cray_photos/849.gif

chooooooooooooooooooooo

Izz
12-16-2010, 01:55 AM
aaaaah....

aahhhhhh.......

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/cray_photos/849.gif

choooooooooooooooooooooThe nose banana fairy is always a hit.

kayleamay
12-16-2010, 02:49 AM
^ I bet that guy always gets the hot chicks.

Cliff Face
12-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Hmm. I just remembered a harrowing experience.

A guy I knew was on the bus with me. We were sitting in the section where you can face each other. We were just pulling into our stop at Uni, when he sneezes ALL OVER ME.

"Dude?! WTF?!" I say, getting more grossed out by the second.
"Sorry," he says. "I didn't think it'd be a big one."

He didn't think it'd be a big one. So a small sneeze aimed at my face would be perfectly fine then, hmm?

Hate. I has it.

Vito
12-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Well, folks, it looks like I indeed caught some kind of ailment from my brother. I've got banana fever. It's a terrible disease...

Izz
12-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Well, folks, it looks like I indeed caught some kind of ailment from my brother. I've got banana fever. It's a terrible disease...Does it involve dancing? :banana:

Vito
12-16-2010, 05:48 AM
Does it involve dancing? :banana:

Come to think of it, it is a perfect day for banana dancing.

fwc
12-17-2010, 09:13 AM
what about covering your mouth when you yawn?

mario_c
12-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Yawns don't spread possibly fatal diseases. I don't think they do, anyway.

BTW finally had it out w coughing lady at the cubicle farm, and of course she denied it and acted like it was my fault for bringing it up. ETA and she whined to a supervisor so I'M the one in trouble now. I despise my job with a warming, effervescent hate.