Taking the doggie for a walk when it's snowing?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
So yeah, this is going to sound like a really silly question, but I'm from Texas, be forgiving!

I generally take the dog out to a park across the street to go walking/running every day. She really wants to go, but it's snowing out and pretty darn chilly. Now, she loves running around in snow, but I'm wondering if it's a really stupid idea to go while it's actually snowing?

I mean, the sidewalks aren't really cleared, but as long as they're not icy that should be okay, right? Will she get wet and get sick? I mean, I can bundle up, but she can't.

My boyfriend's at work so I can't ask him, so I thought I'd pop on here and see what the general rule is for this sort of thing. Me being a cold-weather virgin and all.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
She should be fine--she has a fur coat.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If she is a small dog you might want to put a sweater on her. Small dogs lose body heat rather quickly in the cold, especially if she's not used to it. You might not want to keep her out as long as you usually do.

Greyhounds mind the cold and will also need a jacket or sweater. Many short hair dogs like greys, mind the cold.

When you come in make sure you use a warm, damp cloth to clean her feet. ice can get in her pads and irritate.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
A lot of dogs love being out in the snow.

One thing? Put an old towel by the door before you go. Lets you do some drying before the dog shakes off all over the house. :)

OR, what RegDog said. (again.) :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Keep her feet away from the salt and especially that chemically treated crap. I used to wash my girls feet if there was a lot of it out

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
She's a medium-sized dog, but she doesn't have a fluffy coat, either. She doesn't seem to mind going out, though. I just didn't know if getting snow on her coat would get her wet and be a bad thing.

A towel by the door is a good idea, though. I might just take her out for a short walk (we usually go 40~50 minutes). We didn't get to go yesterday because it poured rain all day, so she's coming over every five minutes and begging lol.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've also heard dog owners say that if the dog crosses streets on which salt has been used as a melting chemical, you need to clean their feet especially well.

Where I live, I see people walking their dogs in every kind of weather, and the dogs seem to like snow, judging by their jumping around.

Maryn, not a dog person

Edit: Maybe Santa needs to bring her a coat or sweater?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys. :) I'm gonna just take her out for ten or fifteen minutes to get it out of her system, and I'll be sure to wash her feet when we get back, too. I wouldn't have even thought of that, so I'm glad I asked.

Y'all are awesome, you know that?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I take my dog out in the snow but he's from Scotland and never minds the cold. I don't wash his feet but if they get dry or crack I put a bit of lanolin on them. You can get it at a farm store where they use it for dairy cow teats.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My doggie is a chihuahua/terrier mix and he loves the snow so much he'd stay out way too long in the cold if I let him. He wears coats now :) You'd think all dogs shiver when they are getting too cold, but I'm not sure about that. My guy's shivering is how I know he's pretty darned cold.

ETA: my big chow/heeler mix, I left out of this conversation :D That boy is so fluffy he likes sleeping on ice! He'll find the last patch of snow to lie on on purpose, seriously :ROFL:

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, that's hilarious Backslashbaby. :)

Well, that was a load of fun and I'm glad I went. None of the sidewalks were plowed so I got to walk on crunchy new snow, and everything was just gorgeous, and doggie had a lot of fun, too. I love being out in the snow myself, especially because I'd never even seen any until I was in college.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Just a random thought: they make snow booties for dogs. My greyhound had one for snow/ice and when they treated the lawn with chemicals. He absolutely hated them, but they were better than getting his delicate little feet cut up. We don't need them any more though, here where it thankfully does not snow. :Sun:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Drat. I see I'm too late to tell you to bring an assistant.

Who else is going to bring the camera and shoot photos of your pup's first snow? :D

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on what breed of dog, and how much they are used to the snow. You said you are from Texas, is the dog too? If they are older, and haven't been acclimated to the cold weather, going outside is fine, but don't overdo it if it is extremely cold. See how the dog does for short periods. You can also buy those sweaters or booties if the cold is bothering them.

Definitely watch out for salt or chemicals on sidewalks and check the pads when you come in for snowballs stuck in between.