• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

So how disturbed is the Ort Cloud?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Theres a thread in P&C about G1.9 and whether it is a brown dwarf inside our solar system vs. a distant supernova. I followed the bunch of links and several articles say stuff like, "This explains the disturbances in the Ort Cloud," but I've been unable to find what those disturbances are.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of any particular disturbances I've heard about, but there's a theory of a brown dwarf/companion planet (sometimes called Nemesis) on a highly eccentric loop that sends Oort material through the solar system every 26 million years or so. This is based on the cycle of extinctions (both great and small) on Earth.

A link to get started with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(star)

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
So then, assuming I understood all that correctly, there's no actual direct mathematical or observational data to proove anything. The Nemesis theory is simply a theory that as yet has not been disproven as a convenient means to explain periodic solar system bombardment by Ort Cloud debris?