PDA

View Full Version : Must buy book! (40% off one item coupon at Borders, wwyd?)

Fenika
12-11-2010, 05:36 AM
I got my 40% off coupon. Tis the season for buying things anyways, plus I'm feeding an addiction here...

So, I can buy a gift for me or a gift for someone. But I want to buy a book that's big and expensive.

The rules: No plain ole fiction suggestions please. Graphic novels are good. Books on Castles are good (but good luck to me finding it in stock). Books on history/nature/etc are good. Good drawing/painting books (for Grandma). Something!

Must buy book and save :D

*gibbers*

kayleamay
12-11-2010, 05:42 AM
No plain ole fiction?

Okay then, howabout A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn? It's one of my non-negotiables when I have to clean out the bookcase. Or, The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell (the big illustrated one). Always a keeper.

Fenika
12-11-2010, 05:46 AM
The myth one sounds fun. Most of US history is too modern for my interests :D

There was a signs and symbols book that looked nice, but it was in B&N (where they placed it on the bargain book shelf, along with a ton of other books and NONE were marked down AT ALL. I checked a fair number. Not cool. /derail)

TheIT
12-11-2010, 05:48 AM
A friend just gave me an illustrated hardcover of Terry Pratchett's The Wee Free Men for my birthday. Great illustrations, and a great book.

The Magic of Fire by ???. I'll have to look up the author. A large-sized cookbook of how to cook using fire, embers, and ashes. Can also double as writing reference for fantasy worlds without modern appliances. Wonderful illustrations, plus it makes me wish I had a real fireplace and hearth to try some of the recipes.

Fenika
12-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Hmmm- Offer Excludes: Borders Rewards Plus memberships, previous purchases, special orders, shipping, gift cards, coupon books, newspapers, magazines, comics, used merchandise, textbook rentals, eBooks, audiobook downloads, music downloads, vinyl LPs, Rosetta Stone® software, tax software, video games, all electronics (including eReaders), and eReader Protection Plan Packs.

So does that mean I can use it on a DVD collection by National Geographic or BBC or somesuch? Or is a DVD an electronic somehow?

Fenika
12-11-2010, 05:51 AM
:flamethrower

Fire good.

I saw The Wee Free Men, but decided my next fiction purchases needed to support authors I don't already have a ton of books from (And Pratchett by far rules my bookshelf.)

TheIT
12-11-2010, 05:52 AM
DVDs should be fair game. I've seen other Borders coupons which specifically exclude DVDs and CDs. Ask at the store to be sure.

Fenika
12-11-2010, 06:00 AM
:hooray: I will hope for the best, but need a back up plan.

Plus, I just joined Borders Plus and will have lots more coupons to cash in. This brick and mortal thing has become like crack ;)

Also, they will send me a coupon for my bday. How sweet is that?

Plus, I'm in around DE lately- tax free shopping for the win.

*tries to calm down*

*Doesn't try hard enough*

:Jump:

Cliff Face
12-11-2010, 07:28 AM
If you have a science fan in the family, I'd recommend:

The Illustrated Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking.

When I bought it, it cost me about $100. Hardcover of course. I prefer other science books on my shelves, but this one has the best illustrations and cost the most, so it seems more fitting for a 40% coupon. :)

BenPanced
12-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I got my 40% off coupon. Tis the season for buying things anyways, plus I'm feeding an addiction here...

So, I can buy a gift for me or a gift for someone. But I want to buy a book that's big and expensive.

The rules: No plain ole fiction suggestions please. Graphic novels are good. Books on Castles are good (but good luck to me finding it in stock). Books on history/nature/etc are good. Good drawing/painting books (for Grandma). Something!

Must buy book and save :D

*gibbers*
The complete Calvin & Hobbes or The Far Side collections.

Silver King
12-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Whatever you decide, spend it quick. Borders Groups lost $75,000,000. last quarter, and they may not be around much longer to lose more money.

Amadan
12-11-2010, 07:41 AM
I usually use my Borders coupons on lattes, since they won't let me use them on ebooks. (Grumbles about the Agency pricing model.)

Fenika
12-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Science books aren't a bad choice. Any other picks, in case the Hawkins book isn't in?

I've owned just about every C&H book and Far Side they've published :D They are scattered now, but they're around.

And I didn't know they were doing so poorly. They did make a move to buy out B&N. Regardless, my coupon is only good till the 13th. Hopefully they don't shut any stores down that fast.

kayleamay
12-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Our downtown Borders is currently having an OOB sale. I stopped in a couple of days ago. Nothing left but commercial bookshelves and light fixtures.

Cliff Face
12-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Science books:

Anything by Richard Dawkins
Anything by Paul Davies
The Fabric Of Reality by David Deutsch

Unfortunately, all those books are generally pretty cheap...

Maybe you could find a combo-pack by Dawkins or Davies?

Fenika
12-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Kewl, I'll keep an eye out.

I'm starting to wish I had two coupons. I've got some $10 off ones that are valid soon. Their ploy to get me to spend money in their stores is working.

bettielee
12-12-2010, 05:08 AM
yes, Borders is bombarding the hell out of me with the coupons - I swear there is a new one everyday.

...and I has no suggestions.

...I sorry.

Fenika
12-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Give in to the Borders side. They has coupons.

Cliff Face
12-12-2010, 05:34 AM
The closest to coupons I come with my book store is the rewards program.

You get a card that operates electronically or magnetically or something. Anyway, it counts points. You get 1 point for every $1 you spend. When you have 100 points, you get a $5 coupon that can be spent on anything in the store. It's not much, but it does save me money - I don't buy books just to get the points, I wait until there's a book I really want. In about 2 years I've accumulated probably 7 or 8 coupons. Which means I've spent about $800 on books in 2 years. Yikes. (And that doesn't include books from special sales displays in the mall, and department stores which stock a lot of Urban Fantasies, a particular addiction of mine.)

Right now, though, I have a gift card for that store. Hooray! An early-to-arrive Christmas present from my brother and his girlfriend who are living pretty far away from us...

Cliff Face
12-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Oh, and I forgot to say - with the rewards card, every time you make a purchase in the store, they run it through a machine and sometimes you win small items from elsewhere in the mall. So far I've won 2 coffees from a coffee shop I wouldn't normally go to.

And you get a receipt with the swipe of your rewards card, which has BIG prizes on it which you have to enter online. So far I haven't seen any big prizes that I particularly wanted... so I haven't entered those.

I did enter a competition with that bookstore to win a Death figurine thanks to Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Unfortunately, I didn't win. :(

Fenika
12-12-2010, 05:56 AM
omg, there's a DEATH figurine??? :D

bettielee
12-12-2010, 06:37 AM
uh oh... I sense a fangirl overload comin' on....

Fenika
12-12-2010, 06:40 AM
I'm so resisting googling these figurines... no, nvm, I've gotta see!

kaitie
12-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Is there a Santa Death figurine? Because if so that's sooo totally worth it. :D

And my answer is easy. I'd go in planning to buy gifts, then pick up at least two or three things for myself on top of it and spend way more money than I'd originally intended.

Wait, that probably isn't very helpful, is it?

bettielee
12-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Sorry Fens, with friends like us, who needs enemies?

Fenika
12-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I probably will end up with 20 things. Now to just figure out when to go, since I have to meet my uncle today and get to work at 6:30 in Philly tomorrow.

Ambrosia
12-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Just remember that sometimes the % off coupons are not worth it because it is the retail price it is going from, not sales prices. So, if you find a book that is marked down that you want, they won't take the 40% off of the marked down price but the retail price on the book instead.

Good luck with your purchase.

Fenika
12-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Yeah, that sorta happened. I went to a Waldenbooks in the mall, which wasn't that big. I decided to get my little cousin something and when I couldn't pick what, I called my uncle and he said she wanted a Guinness Book of World Records.

I would have gotten 20% off, but got 40% off instead. Sometimes the coupons combine, but not this time. Regardless, my cousin will enjoy it.

I also got a $35 National Geographic book for 3.99!!!