PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys and Aliens

Smileycat
12-10-2010, 03:22 PM
At first I laughed aloud when I read the title. But, I have been smitten. Check out the trailer and dare to tell me you are not:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810159817/video/23073546

While I love Harrison Ford and his part in this movie, it is Daniel Craig's acting that has made me want to watch his James Bond movies. Wow!

Tell me what you think. It won't be released until July 29, 2011.

C.H. Valentino
12-10-2010, 04:04 PM
I saw it during previews for Harry Potter. I cried more during this preview than I did when Hedwig died.

Lame.

Depressing.

Harrison Ford - what hath become of thee?!?

Smileycat
12-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I saw it during previews for Harry Potter. I cried more during this preview than I did when Hedwig died.

Lame.

Depressing.

Harrison Ford - what hath become of thee?!?

It was this trailer you saw, c.h? I admit, Ford was a bit hammy, but Craig was spot on.

Diane Amy
12-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Personally, I can't wait for this movie! Fantastic actors and a plot that hasn't been done to death. Plus, I love westerns and science fiction. I am eager to see the tie-together.

maestrowork
12-10-2010, 07:47 PM
I saw an extended clip at ComicCon. I CAN'T WAIT.

ETA: the extended clip was SO MUCH better than that trailer. Who cut that trailer? Eeeeek

dragonjax
12-10-2010, 08:10 PM
OMG! Daniel Craig has an omnitrix!!!

ceenindee
12-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm excited :D I just got through seeing The Warrior's Way (not a high-quality movie by any standards, but funny to watch), which is cowboys and ninjas. This is the natural next step.

Tifferbugz
12-10-2010, 09:11 PM
This movie looks awesome. Can't wait!

Cyia
12-10-2010, 11:29 PM
I agree on the look we get of Harrison Ford in the Teaser. The "or I'll take 'im!" order is classic ham acting from the old westerns (though since he did a few of those, maybe it was intentional)

The rest of it looks interesting, though. Something that does bug me is the woman in the movie (the one from House) Daniel Craig meets in the saloon. From her make-up, and some of the things I've read, it seems she's supposed to be Apache. Now, if she's supposed to be half-Apache, I can understand, but if she's supposed to be full blood Native American, their casting is way off, and the make-up isn't sufficient to cover for it.

Bmwhtly
12-11-2010, 12:57 AM
I love westerns and science fiction.I Agree! I'm looking forward to this. ... Is that because I'm excited about a new film or because I'm looking forward to criticising it? Time will tell.

I am eager to see the tie-together.*Waves Firefly at Ms Amy*

maestrowork
12-11-2010, 06:42 AM
I agree on the look we get of Harrison Ford in the Teaser. The "or I'll take 'im!" order is classic ham acting from the old westerns (though since he did a few of those, maybe it was intentional)

Jon Favreau said he wanted the "spaghetti western" look and feel...

Smileycat
12-11-2010, 10:05 AM

The rest of it looks interesting, though. Something that does bug me is the woman in the movie (the one from House) Daniel Craig meets in the saloon. From her make-up, and some of the things I've read, it seems she's supposed to be Apache. Now, if she's supposed to be half-Apache, I can understand, but if she's supposed to be full blood Native American, their casting is way off, and the make-up isn't sufficient to cover for it.

I didn't realize she was supposed to be an Apache. But, hey, James Bond is in this movie! :roll:

Smileycat
12-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for posting. I always consider the opinion of others, although I usually hold on to my own. I like to hear what you have to say.

Ye ha! http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/onhorse6.gif

Satori1977
12-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I saw the trailer for this today, and it looks great. Have to admit the title is silly. My husband actually started laughing at it, but I would like to see it.

Smileycat
12-17-2010, 02:05 AM
I predict we'll all have a great time!

I like Jon Favreau

Zoombie
12-17-2010, 02:23 AM
That looks AAAAAAWESOME.

Cyia
12-17-2010, 02:56 AM
I didn't realize she was supposed to be an Apache. But, hey, James Bond is in this movie! :roll:

Nifty gadgets and all! :tongue

Toothpaste
12-17-2010, 03:00 AM
I saw the trailer for this today, and it looks great. Have to admit the title is silly. My husband actually started laughing at it, but I would like to see it.

I actually think the title is great, it reflects (at least I hope reflects) what they're trying to do with this movie: make a spaghetti western that happens to have aliens in it. So instead of "Cowboys and Indians" it's "Cowboys and Aliens". I also think the title is meant to be funny, it's meant to make people laugh. I hardly think this film is taking itself seriously, even if the characters within it do.

maestrowork
12-17-2010, 03:01 AM
The title is great. It tells you everything you need to know, and brings you to the theater... :)

Toothpaste
12-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Exactly. :)

I'm pretty sure it's intentional. Like I said with the title, this is meant to be a classic old western with a twist. Which helps make the premise even more awesome.

thothguard51
12-17-2010, 04:17 AM
Look at who the director and producers are... not a failure in the group.

They know what they are doing.

Smileycat
12-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Nifty gadgets and all! :tongue

You're right! :ROFL:

maestrowork
12-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Look at who the director and producers are... not a failure in the group.

Didn't help Indiana Jones 4....

Zoombie
12-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Didn't help Indiana Jones 4....

Ah yes, but THIS doesn't have George Lucas involved.

...right?

Satori1977
12-17-2010, 04:37 PM
I actually think the title is great, it reflects (at least I hope reflects) what they're trying to do with this movie: make a spaghetti western that happens to have aliens in it. So instead of "Cowboys and Indians" it's "Cowboys and Aliens". I also think the title is meant to be funny, it's meant to make people laugh. I hardly think this film is taking itself seriously, even if the characters within it do.

Oh, I am sure it is intentional, and I think the title works. Just had the wrong funny effect on him.

K. Taylor
12-17-2010, 05:32 PM
There was a movie that went on SyFy that was originally titled "Cowboys and Aliens". It was changed to "High Plains Invaders" by the time it aired. :tongue

Smileycat
12-19-2010, 01:14 AM
There was a movie that went on SyFy that was originally titled "Cowboys and Aliens". It was changed to "High Plains Invaders" by the time it aired. :tongue

Cowboys and Aliens is a much better name.

BeatrixKiddo
12-25-2010, 04:11 AM
Another movie based on a graphic novel/comic...as a comic fan, I look forward to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys_%26_Aliens

Smileycat
02-09-2011, 06:19 PM
There's a new trailer which showed during the SuperBowl game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdy4eRKrf_8&feature=player_embedded.

Did you see the thingie? :flag:

Toothpaste
02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
SO excited about this one.

When I went to a movie with my dad and the trailer came on, I knew he'd really appreciate it. He was from the era of Cowboys and Indians, and tells the story of being a little boy and bringing a toy gun to one such movie, and then firing it off in the theatre to help out the good guys (yeah you so couldn't do that now). So he was enjoying the trailer a lot, but I was thinking, "Wait for it . . ." Then "Cowboys and Aliens" flashed across the screen and burst out in appreciative laughter. Think I just might have to go see it with him.

Smileycat
02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
SO excited about this one.

When I went to a movie with my dad and the trailer came on, I knew he'd really appreciate it. He was from the era of Cowboys and Indians, and tells the story of being a little boy and bringing a toy gun to one such movie, and then firing it off in the theatre to help out the good guys (yeah you so couldn't do that now). So he was enjoying the trailer a lot, but I was thinking, "Wait for it . . ." Then "Cowboys and Aliens" flashed across the screen and burst out in appreciative laughter. Think I just might have to go see it with him.

You should spend as time with your dad as you can while you still have him. My dad worked 12 hours a day and died when I was 15. Miss him.

jst5150
02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
C&A looks like fantastic summer fun. Cannot wait.

Smileycat
02-10-2011, 11:27 PM
C&A looks like fantastic summer fun. Cannot wait.

Me neither.

Toothpaste
02-11-2011, 07:54 AM
You should spend as time with your dad as you can while you still have him. My dad worked 12 hours a day and died when I was 15. Miss him.

Oh I do (and my mom too for that matter). We just went to see the Tim Burton exhibit together and I see my parents at least once a week, if not more. Talk to them almost daily.

Also they do my copy edits :) .

I feel very very lucky to have them in my life, for sure.

And I'm sorry for your loss at such a young age. That must have been really difficult.

jamesn65
02-11-2011, 09:33 AM
I seriously can't wait for this. Everyone I know is excited, which hopefully bodes well. I love popcorn-movie stuff like this :)

PrincessofPersia
02-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I think it looks hilarious. I don't think it's supposed to be taken entirely seriously, so I forgive the ham. I think someone else mentioned the spaghetti western.

Smileycat
02-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Oh I do (and my mom too for that matter). We just went to see the Tim Burton exhibit together and I see my parents at least once a week, if not more. Talk to them almost daily.

Also they do my copy edits :) .

I feel very very lucky to have them in my life, for sure.

And I'm sorry for your loss at such a young age. That must have been really difficult.

It sounds like you are enjoying your family. That's very good.

It was years ago but I still feel a deep loss.

Smileycat
02-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I seriously can't wait for this. Everyone I know is excited, which hopefully bodes well. I love popcorn-movie stuff like this :)

Me, too, James.

Smileycat
02-11-2011, 11:09 AM
I think it looks hilarious. I don't think it's supposed to be taken entirely seriously, so I forgive the ham. I think someone else mentioned the spaghetti western.

Hey, Princess. I forgive the ham, also. It's probably needed to pull it off. I see Craig's character as the straight man.

bySD
02-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Looks like it has some great deadpan humor

Smileycat
02-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Looks like it has some great deadpan humor

"I'd shoot it, but where's its heart?"