Getting on a plane with a severed finger in carry-on baggage

Kitty Crocodile

Registered
Reaction score
This kind of relates to airport security, but I decided to start a new thread since my question is very specific.

How likely is it that a person on an international flight (in this case, flying from Amsterdam to London) would be able to take a severed finger through the security checks? He's travelling light, so he will only have carry-on baggage. I'm assuming that the finger won't raise much attention when the bag goes through the scanner, but am I wrong? I also assume that he would be required to have some kind of documentation for the finger in order to take it with him legitimately (which he will not have, of course).

In the story he takes the finger to England without any trouble. When I write this scene I won't elaborate on the practicalities, since this is a minor plot line and I want the reader to focus on different matters altogether, but I do want to have some kind of idea as to how it would work out. :) I would appreciate any comments.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
An employee in my wife's retail store just returned to Alaska on a flight to discover that she accidentally had a BOX-CUTTER in her carry-on bag. You think these TSA morons are going to notice a severed finger? They'll pat down your crotch to make sure it's appropriately organized, but a disconnected finger???????????

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I would think the biggest risk would be that a Customs sniffer dog would identify it as 'illicit meat product' being smuggled into the country. Other than that, if it's wrapped in something icky, like a bloody handkerchief (oops, my nose was bleeding, officer) I'd bet the security people won't search too closely.

C.H. Valentino

Wording!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chvalentino.com
(According to a TSA employee who would like to remain nameless) It's a gamble really - someone sees it in the scanner, they can pull you out of line and wait until the proper autorities arrive. Someone else mentioned the thing about dogs at the custom check points, and this, too, is a gamble.

Can you maybe put said finger in a bag of pretzles or something?

CHV

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
There are people who travel all around with material for transplants. Taking severed finger on an international flight would be unusual, but I expect that similart things have happened. I expect that the security people would be surprised, but they wouldn't do anything as long as there was documentation.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When in doubt, Federal Express. Pack in a styrofoam box with dry ice. Ship it.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Why does it have to be carry-on? If you put it in a suitcase underneath, in a can of something, you're much more likely to be able to get it through.

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Lbender. Checked baggage is far less likely to be pawed through by security than carry-on.

Kitty Crocodile

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! :) Great responses.

(According to a TSA employee who would like to remain nameless) It's a gamble really - someone sees it in the scanner, they can pull you out of line and wait until the proper autorities arrive. Someone else mentioned the thing about dogs at the custom check points, and this, too, is a gamble.

CHV

This is pretty much how I thought it would be - in other words, things could go either way. My thanks to the anonymous TSA employee! :)

Why does it have to be carry-on? If you put it in a suitcase underneath, in a can of something, you're much more likely to be able to get it through.

Yes, things would be much easier if he checked in a bag! But I don't think he will have more than a carry-on, as this is a spur of the moment kind of trip and he has very little stuff to begin with. But that would almost solve the problem, I think.

--In fact, he'll be travelling with someone who will certainly check in a bag. And now I think I know what I'm going to do about this: he will hide the finger in his companion's suitcase. It will be simple and easy as he will have access to the suitcase before and after the flight. Ta da!

There are people who travel all around with material for transplants. Taking severed finger on an international flight would be unusual, but I expect that similart things have happened. I expect that the security people would be surprised, but they wouldn't do anything as long as there was documentation.

This was also a very good point, thanks. This finger just happens to be pretty old and shrivelled. c.h valentino's suggestion of the bag of pretzels got me thinking that he might put the finger in a bag of beef jerky.

That said, I think I will put the finger in another character's suitcase and count on it that it won't be noticed. Thanks again! :)

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
If your character puts the wrapped finger in his pocket, it won't be scanned and it won't affect the metal scanner. Even if he were to go the the backscatter X-ray, they probably wouldn't see it. Sometimes the best place to hide something is the most obvious.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
If your character puts the wrapped finger in his pocket, it won't be scanned and it won't affect the metal scanner. Even if he were to go the the backscatter X-ray, they probably wouldn't see it. Sometimes the best place to hide something is the most obvious.

Kitty Crocodile

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, RJK, that's good to know! I always like the most obvious hiding places.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
It wouldn't be seen, and it wouldn't be checked in cary on or checked (unless you had a random search, which is possible). the x-ray looks for organic and inorganic material and the screener looks for combinations of both, or shapes that might indicate a threat. They don't have to identify EVERYTHING in the bag. Tinfoil doesn't hide anything on an x-ray.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
This was also a very good point, thanks. This finger just happens to be pretty old and shrivelled. c.h valentino's suggestion of the bag of pretzels got me thinking that he might put the finger in a bag of beef jerky.

This totally made me laugh, because if it did get discovered he could feign horror and make it out to seem like someone at the jerky factory lost an appendage.

Kitty Crocodile

Registered
Reaction score
This totally made me laugh, because if it did get discovered he could feign horror and make it out to seem like someone at the jerky factory lost an appendage.

Exactly :D

Thanks again for the comments! I decided that I will either slip the finger in another character's baggage which is checked in, or go with RJK's comment. :)