What is the percentage for Ghost Writers

Sagittarius

Banned
Reaction score
What is the percentage a ghost writer receives off sales? Do they receive any other advances?

Edit: Pardon the lack of question mark in the title.

Stewart

Registered
Reaction score
I have to imagine it would be a wide range.
For instance, if you're an unknown illiterate but with irrefutable proof you've been beamed up by aliens, you might attract a very skilled ghost writer who would expect a large percent of the profits. On the other hand, a famous person of reasonable intelligence might still have ghost writers camped on his doorstep, happy to get a small percentage of what would eventually be a widely read book.
I'm just guessing, though.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only know one ghost writer. She says that while contract terms vary from one job to the next, for her, it's never, ever a percentage but always a flat fee, paid in installments as she meets specific writing goals.

I'm sure any ghost writers we have here will chime in to let me know if that's not the norm.

Maryn, only parroting what she's heard

FocusOnEnergy

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
focusonenergy.wordpress.com
I'm in the process of negotiating a contract to ghost write a book, and although I might put something in there for a percentage of sales over x number in case it becomes a huge bestseller, or there are movie rights or something, it will be done for an hourly rate. I don't do creative projects on a flat fee basis-learned that one the hard way.

Focus