PDA

View Full Version : Game Company Seeking Content Writers [low-pay/$10 per assignment]

Scarmichael42
12-10-2010, 03:22 AM
Let me just toss in up front, to help head off any commentary that might get anyone into moderator trouble:

The rates for this position are very low. We are a highly independent venture and are seeking hobbyists who are interested both in writing and earning some game industry credit/experience.

Also, we prefer to submit payment to our writers via PayPal.

And now, the prompt:

Game Company Seeks Skilled Writers

Black Chicken Enterprises, LLC., is seeking skilled writers to draft text for the downloadable content packs for its first title, Academagia: The Making of Mages (http://www.academagia.com).

Writers must be able to write efficient, colorful prose based in a fantasy setting. The game takes place in a unique world at a school of magic in a setting similar to Renaissance Europe. The gameplay is text-based, so a heavy emphasis will be placed on quality writing and content variety.

The target audience for the game covers grade-school age children all the way up to adults and so writing must be accessible. However, writers are encouraged to write in their own voice, as long as their style remains reasonably acceptable considering the era the game-world is set in (edgy, experimental text would be out of character, for example). The game world is one of whimsical magics, but also of political intrigue and a history steeped in epic legend, so a wide breadth of content styling is available to you.

Writing assignments will involve writing brief events that will crop up randomly in the course of the game as a challenge for the player to overcome. The pay is $10 per assignment, with each assignment consisting of the creation of 10 events. [NB: $10 for 10 total items, not $10 per item] Writers must be able to work under deadline, develop their own content, and write from a prompt.

To Apply

Applications will consist of a single writing sample based on the structure used for an adventure in-game. Grammar errors and simple typos will mean instant disqualification, so be sure to double-check your work prior to submission.

Reply to this posting, or email bc.subs@gmail.com, to receive a prompt or ask any questions you may have.

DarkDesireX
12-10-2010, 01:05 PM
I just want to say that while I'm not working for them at the moment (due to medical and time restraints), you'll never find a better company to work with than the ones at Black Chicken Enterprises, LLC.

They're flexible, fun, and genuinely good people. They really embody the kind of Indie gaming company that makes their workers want to grow with them. It was one of the saddest e-mails I've ever had to write when I told them I needed to take a break.

A fantastic opportunity to expand your gaming resume and make a little extra cash on the side.

Maryn
12-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Could you please specify the rates? One person's definition of "very low" can be pretty different from the next. No shame in low pay rates, but AW requires that posters in paying markets share specific information. (See the RULES OF THE PAYING MARKETS FORUM: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING A NEW THREAD/COMMENTING (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11828) thread.)

Thanks in advance for the additional info, and thanks right now for the opportunity for AW writers.

Maryn, all thank-y

Medievalist
12-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Could you please specify the rates?

He does specify, quite specifically:

Writing assignments will involve writing brief events that will crop up randomly in the course of the game as a challenge for the player to overcome. The pay is $10 per assignment, with each assignment consisting of the creation of 10 events. [NB: $10 for 10 total items, not $10 per item] Writers must be able to work under deadline, develop their own content, and write from a prompt.

Ineti
12-10-2010, 09:15 PM
PM sent, sounds like fun!

Maryn
12-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Oh, duh. I was not reading closely enough. My apologies.

Maryn, doofus

bladestalker
12-12-2010, 04:33 AM
PM sent

writingdragoness
12-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I would be interested in work on this project with your fine company.

Droemar
12-26-2010, 07:22 AM
I'd be interested in writing for you guys; anything to help out the old game resume!

Scarmichael42
01-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Sorry for seemingly abandoning this thread. I have apparently failed on subscribing to the thread properly.

For writingdragoness and Droemar, please just kick me an e-mail at bc.subs@gmail.com and I'll very promptly get you a... prompt.

Scarmichael42
03-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Just wanted to give this thread a bump. We're still going strong on content creation, working on our sixth downloadable content pack. Still have room for more writers if you're interested!

Just kick me an e-mail at bc.subs@gmail.com

Scarmichael42
11-18-2011, 03:09 AM
One more bump!

DLC packs still going strong and we're still looking for recruits.

bc.subs@gmail.com

J.W. Alden
11-23-2011, 06:45 PM
I can also vouch for Black Chicken Studios. I did some writing/editing on Academagia and it was a great experience, though I wasn't able to stay aboard as long as I would have liked.

The game is great, too!

Geoff Gander
12-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I thought I'd weigh in and say this crew is great to work with. Feedback on ideas is prompt, and every time I've had questions, they've been very quick with answers. They're also very understanding where real-life (i.e., kids, day-job) issues are concerned. They've also given me a lot of leeway to develop ideas, too.

The game world is fascinating, as well.

Scarmichael42
12-14-2011, 12:53 AM
Just a ping that we currently are at capacity for writers... but are keeping a wait list, since there's pretty regular attrition from our pool.

So, feel free to submit queries, but right now there would be a bit of a delay before assignments would be available.

Scarmichael42
05-24-2012, 02:56 AM
All, the floodgates are open once again. Check the top of this thread for specifics, but we're on the hunt for some more writers for our DLC content.

We also have another gig with slightly different flavor here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225008