Question about my querying situation

Sagittarius

Banned
Reaction score
Hello all :hi:

I recently started querying agents about a month ago. So far, I have received fourteen rejections and no requests for partials. Not to sound like an egomaniac, but I feel that my query letter is written quite well—short, sweet and to the point; lists the word count, genre and is very formal; however, I have zero in the way of publishing credits, but I've read multiple times that this isn't a big deal. I've started to wonder whether the controversial content of my book is what the reason could be for so many agents turning away from it. In short, the book is a psychological study about a female minor exploring the realms of her sexuality, and does include a consensual relationship with a much older, professional male (the query insinuates this). I then think—this is 2010, anything pretty much goes. It definitely isn't a cozy read. Is it true that it being literary fiction also works against it?

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
I am querying about a very similar novel, but have had three requests so far. It may well be the phrasing, the agents you picked...who knows?

Your best best is to post your query in Query Letter Hell on Share Your Work; I'm certainly glad that I did this first, because what I thought was rather clever actually turned out to be pants :p

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Welcome!

Define "minor". 17? 12? Makes a huge difference whether you're talking about a teacher having sex with a HS senior or a level 3 pedophilie sex offender raping a grade-schooler.

I agree about posting in SYW, but you're new here, and you have to have 50 posts under your belt before you can start a thread there. In the meantime, please do head to SYW, read other queries, see how critting is done, and crit some queries yourself.

Last edited:

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all :hi:

I recently started querying agents about a month ago. So far, I have received fourteen rejections and no requests for partials. Not to sound like an egomaniac, but I feel that my query letter is written quite well—short, sweet and to the point; lists the word count, genre and is very formal; however, I have zero in the way of publishing credits, but I've read multiple times that this isn't a big deal. I've started to wonder whether the controversial content of my book is what the reason could be for so many agents turning away from it. In short, the book is a psychological study about a female minor exploring the realms of her sexuality, and does include a consensual relationship with a much older, professional male (the query insinuates this). I then think—this is 2010, anything pretty much goes. It definitely isn't a cozy read. Is it true that it being literary fiction also works against it?
S,
when you do post your Q in QLH, be sure to include a disclaimer in the thread title about the underage sex aspect. Just common courtesy. Thanks.

Truth and Fiction

On the tip of my tongue
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauramaylenewalter.com
Have you posted your query on these boards, or gotten other feedback? Since you seem worried about your results, you may want to do this now. It's really hard to say -- 14 isn't a huge number, so it could be a coincidence, but most likely the query itself is the culprit. Good luck.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Maybe this is the culprit:

In short, the book is a psychological study about a female minor exploring the realms of her sexuality, and does include a consensual relationship with a much older, professional male (the query insinuates this). I then think—this is 2010, anything pretty much goes. It definitely isn't a cozy read. Is it true that it being literary fiction also works against it?

Are you pitching it to agents interested in literary fiction? Can you style it YA and pitch to YA agents? (There's some fairly literary YA.)

Literary fiction is a much tougher sell than YA right now. If your book could be marketed to teens, I'd suggest approaching YA agents as well.

At the least, this sounds like it has YA crossover appeal.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Since ya can't post in SYW, look at query letters about similar books there

Good luck

Sagittarius

Banned
Reaction score
Disclaimer: reply contains mature material. :scared:

See, that's the problem right there. Because the female is 15, there's an automatic assumption that it can be thrown into a YA category—definitely not the case. Incest, drug use, self-gratification, suicide, homo-romanticism as well as prose I don't think gum-popping, vampire obsessed girls would be all too patient with. Plus, it's told from the perspective of her as an adult—not as a teen; it's looking into the past. That's not to say that some teens wouldn't be interested in more eccentric, narrative driven works, but mass appeal doesn't swing that way. Parental councils also appear to get a kick out of sticking their moral values into the YA scene because it's literature that is suppose to be influential on an impressionable group of individuals:mob. If anything, my character has a few shades of Esther Greenwood with a little bit of Lolita's motives thrown in (not to say that my book is as significant as the books where these memorable characters are derived from).

It also contains some obscure references; I've had to add annotations.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Sagittarius, definitely get your fifty posts in so that the forum members can help you with your query. Your material is of-the-difficult-to-place variety, so both your query and your opening are going to have to soar.

Offer a few critiques and see how it works in there and then we'll be better able to advise you.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Sagittarius, I think perhaps you're not familiar with the YA market of today. There is a great deal more freedom than in my day when Cormier's The Chocolate War was banned from Catholic schools. It's an error to characterize the majority of YA readers as "gum-popping, vampire-obsessed girls." YA readers are equally as intelligent and discerning as many adult readers I know, and just at perceptive.

However, since your last post indicates that your book is written with the adult market in mind, then it's a non-issue.

When you post your Q in SYW, please come back to this thread and let us know. I'll be happy to take a look at it.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
In short, the book is a psychological study about a female minor exploring the realms of her sexuality, and does include a consensual relationship with a much older, professional male

A sexual relationship between a 15-year-old girl and an adult man, as a major plot point, is going to turn off a lot of women readers, and since women readers are the majority of readers, this is going to be a really hard sell.

Okay, have now read your query. There are an awful lot of things in this that are going to be a hard sell, from the setting (it's very hard to sell things set in the early '60s, because it's recent enough not to be historical, but too long ago to be contemporary) to the age of the protagonist to the whole thing about whatever is going on with her multiple personalities or personas.

In general, "psychological study" isn't a hot approach right now. I wish you well, but my guess is that you're going to have to do a much sharper query and query dozens and dozens of agents before you find someone who really wants to champion this book in the current marketplace.

Last edited: