the apple thread

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
as a kid, if you were given an apple it was a red or golden delicious. if luck were on your side you’d get a mcintosh.

cripes, the market we go to probably has 15 different varieties now.

*tries to sound manly* i’m stuck on the pink lady right now. she’s everything i’m looking for in a hand fruit.

what’s your apple?

eta: feel free to drop any apple related recipes in this thread as well! the little crays are simple folk so aside from eating them regular they love baked apples:

cored apples filled with a mix of brown sugar, raisins, and cinnamon.
fire a little thingy of butter on the top of each one and bake them until soft.
we usually do them in the crock pot for 6 or 7 hours on low for the aroma. ;)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Among the typical grocery store apples I like Granny Smith. I like a firm, crisp apple and the Granny Smiths are pretty consistent. Also, Honeycrisps are good. I'm sure the apples are great locally in Michigan, but I won't buy one here if it's from Michigan. I find that almost every one of them is soft and mushy.

Of the apples carried by better produce grocers, or by local growers, I like Winesap, or sometime one named Arkansas Black. Generally any locally grown apple is good since they haven't been "aged".

My parent had a orchard (mostly apple trees, but also a few pear, cherry, peach, and plum trees). When I was a kid and wanted an apple, it just meant going out the backdoor and pulling one off the tree. I didn't realize how great that was at the time.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Among the typical grocery store apples I like Granny Smith. I like a firm, crisp apple and the Granny Smiths are pretty consistent. Also, Honeycrisps are good. I'm sure the apples are great locally in Michigan, but I won't buy one here if it's from Michigan. I find that almost every one of them is soft and mushy.

Of the apples carried by better produce grocers, or by local growers, I like Winesap, or sometime one named Arkansas Black. Generally any locally grown apple is good since they haven't been "aged".

My parent had a orchard (mostly apple trees, but also a few pear, cherry, peach, and plum trees). When I was a kid and wanted an apple, it just meant going out the backdoor and pulling one off the tree. I didn't realize how great that was at the time.

yeah, no kidding. it is great.
we actually have a few apples trees now. red delicious.

honeycrisps we have here.
never heard of the other two you mentioned...

*googles*

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Pink Ladys are delish.

The grocery chain I go to used to package particularly small ones in bags marketed as kids snacks, and I loved the little ones. Just the right size.

I buy small organic Gala apples by the 5 lb bag.

A classmate actually commented on my apple habit a few weeks ago. But really, for portable food that has to travel in a backpack with all my books and accoutrements, you just can't beat a crisp little apple.

(I've never liked Macintoshs, too mealy)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
funny you say that because the pink ladys that i have right now are ginormous. they must be on steroids or something. they are a meal.

gala's are on my fav list too. they're always pretty good.
we planted a gala tree last year,.......i hope it makes it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge macintosh apple fan. Another good one, Fuji. Had to Google Pink Lady apples

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
funny you say that because the pink ladys that i have right now are ginormous. they must be on steroids or something. they are a meal.

gala's are on my fav list too. they're always pretty good.
we planted a gala tree last year,.......i hope it makes it.
You do know that some apple trees need another variety to cross-pollination?

I'd have to look at a chart to see which ones. I know that a Stayman Winesap does.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge macintosh apple fan. Another good one, Fuji. Had to Google Pink Lady apples

excellent. that's what i was hoping for this thread.....
we'd all hear about apples we're not familiar with!

You do know that some apple trees need another variety to cross-pollination?

I'd have to look at a chart to see which ones. I know that a Stayman Winesap does.

i don't know much about it but yes, i am aware of that. we have red delicious, mac and gala. our neighbors have a few others as well.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And be careful if you have what is commonly called "red cedars" (actually junipers) nearby.

Speaking of apples, I just happen to have a Jonagold sitting on my desk. Which I shall now consume.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else read (or watched the PBS special) The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan? There a section on apples that is interesting.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Jonathan is probably my favorite eating apple. I planted a Jonafree tree (just like a Jonathan but without all the maintenance) about ten or twelve years ago so I'd have a regular stock. I expect my ex is enjoying the hell out of them now. Either that or letting them rot on the tree.

Courtland is a great apple for baking. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I used to get it all the time when I lived in Western New York state. They also had another couple of great eating apples there--Empire and Snow. Two more I haven't seen in a Krampus' age.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The crunchier an apple, the better. If it's at all mushy, I throw a massive tantrum. There's only so much I can take, yanno?

I like Fiji apples + peanut butter.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else read (or watched the PBS special) The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan? There a section on apples that is interesting.

No, but I did see the PBS special about Complete Colony Collapse of the bees. In China the bee population is gone from many areas, so people have to take Q-Tips and pollinate each apple blossom by hand.

Jonathan is probably my favorite eating apple. I planted a Jonafree tree (just like a Jonathan but without all the maintenance) about ten or twelve years ago so I'd have a regular stock. I expect my ex is enjoying the hell out of them now. Either that or letting them rot on the tree.

Courtland is a great apple for baking. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I used to get it all the time when I lived in Western New York state. They also had another couple of great eating apples there--Empire and Snow. Two more I haven't seen in a Krampus' age.

Haggis, sneak into the yard when the ex isn't home, dig up the tree and run like hell.

One of these might ship Courtlands to Mich

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
as a kid, if you were given an apple it was a red or golden delicious. if luck were on your side you’d get a mcintosh.

cripes, the market we go to probably has 15 different varieties now.

*tries to sound manly* i’m stuck on the pink lady right now. she’s everything i’m looking for in a hand fruit.

what’s your apple?

eta: feel free to drop any apple related recipes in this thread as well! the little crays are simple folk so aside from eating them regular they love baked apples:

cored apples filled with a mix of brown sugar, raisins, and cinnamon.
fire a little thingy of butter on the top of each one and bake them until soft.
we usually do them in the crock pot for 6 or 7 hours on low for the aroma. ;)

who in hell are you and what have you done with cray!?

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think he just wanted to use the word pink and not get made fun of, BL.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score

:Thumbs:

can you hold on a sec, haggis? thnks...

who in hell are you and what have you done with cray!?

:e2moon:

sorry, haggis, i think i've seen courtland around here recently.

No, but I did see the PBS special about Complete Colony Collapse of the bees. In China the bee population is gone from many areas, so people have to take Q-Tips and pollinate each apple blossom by hand.

i saw that too!
whoops,...be right back, reg.....

I think he just wanted to use the word pink and not get made fun of, BL.

:e2moon:

reg, i think they were pollinating asian pears? that was an interesting (and concerning) show.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I made Apple Grunt in the crockpot the other night. Won rave reviews from Mr. Hip, so that's always a good thing. Your basic apples and cinnamon thing on the bottom, and on top are dumplings/hunks of dough made from lowfat Bisquick, milk and a little butter.

I love fall so I can pig out on apples and pears. Yum!

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Granny Smith all the way here.
oh yeah! those are good. The tarter, the better, I think.

and since someone repped me and said "Fuji?" I found this link...

:)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Caramel apple pie from Costco... NOM NOM nom!

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Pink Ladies are the best. Green ones make my teeth hurt. ;)