Political correctness gone mad

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
As you lovely people may know, I work in a library. We've been given two figures made by seven and eight year old kids for display over Christmas. The two figures are Mary and Joseph. Both are about four feet tall, clearly made by children and are the sort of creations only a parent would like.

Joseph is black.

Which means I have to ask how long before a customer utters the dread phrase: "It's political correctness gone mad", and I am forced to kill them?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
About a minute and a half?

We had a customer complain about the dvd cover of the Sandra Bullock film The Blind Side because she's a white woman sat next to a black man.

I told him to fuck off.

OK. I didn't really but only because I can't afford to lose my job.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh...I thought it was going to be because it had Sandra Bullock on it.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know...my next comment was going to be that you were a bit harsh on the poor fella.

:D

But then I realised he was a racist.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
We had a customer complain about the dvd cover of the Sandra Bullock film The Blind Side because she's a white woman sat next to a black man.

I told him to fuck off.

I'd have told him to fuck off (without using the word fuck :D). A loud 'What, are you racist?' often works wonders. *

ETA: Oh hang on, you're in the EDL area aren't you? That might not work....I'd tell him to piss off back under his stone. Quietly, with no witnesses so if he complains I can get him banned for being a delusional loony.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

I told him to fuck off.

Seriously? WTF? Wow...WOW! I don't even know what I'd say if I were in your position.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Honestly though, it IS political correctness gone mad (*ducks*). I'm all for inclusion and all that new-fangled, hippie stuff ;) but historical accuracy is not to be trifled with. Unless you're the BBC and you're making "Merlin" in which case, go forth and put black people where they could never have been...

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly though, it IS political correctness gone mad (*ducks*). I'm all for inclusion and all that new-fangled, hippie stuff ;) but historical accuracy is not to be trifled with. Unless you're the BBC and you're making "Merlin" in which case, go forth and put black people where they could never have been...

*bolding mine*

what?

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you're the BBC and you're making "Merlin" in which case, go forth and put black people where they could never have been...

From the National Archives:

In Roman times, Black troops were sent to the remote and barbaric province of Britannia, and some of them stayed when the Roman legions left Britain.

From Times Online (Analysis of Roman grave reveals that York was a multicultural society):

Scientific research techniques have established that a lavish grave containing a woman’s skeleton, an ivory bangle, perfume bottle, mirror and jewellery, belonged to a North African member of York’s high society in the 4th century.

Scientific analysis of isotopes from the teeth revealed that water she drank during her childhood had contained minerals likely to have been found in North Africa. Skull measurements have also established that the “Ivory Bangle Lady” was black or of mixed race

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Thank you, I didn't realize there were a many of those. I thought there were only a few African soldiers in the Roman legions and I didn't know any women actually made it that far north.

Iz interested.

But Guinevere was still not black, just sayin'... :D

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
As you lovely people may know, I work in a library. We've been given two figures made by seven and eight year old kids for display over Christmas. The two figures are Mary and Joseph. Both are about four feet tall, clearly made by children and are the sort of creations only a parent would like.

Joseph is black.

Which means I have to ask how long before a customer utters the dread phrase: "It's political correctness gone mad", and I am forced to kill them?

Political correctness aside, the biblical figure of the new testament who we know as Joseph, wasn't exactly white, either. He was Semitic and dark-complexioned as were most of the Jews and Arabs living in the Middle East then.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Political correctness aside, the biblical figure of the new testament who we know as Joseph, wasn't exactly white, either. He was Semitic and dark-complexioned as were most of the Jews and Arabs living in the Middle East then.

I know. My point is, someone is doubtless going to assume we have a black Joseph because we're being PC.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
But Guinevere was still not black, just sayin'... :D

image_preview

She would beg to differ. :)

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I know. My point is, someone is doubtless going to assume we have a black Joseph because we're being PC.

What part of the country do you live in?

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

Let them. People will always assume what they want. But even if they're a little bit surprised or put off, that might be a good thing. It may cause them to think about it--or even better, discuss it, debate it and ask questions.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Btw...are you sure it's Joseph? It might be Shaft.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
What part of the country do you live in?

East Anglia. Google it. I dare you. ;)

Let them. People will always assume what they want. But even if they're a little bit surprised or put off, that might be a good thing. It may cause them to think about it--or even better, discuss it, debate it and ask questions.

You have a kinder opinion of the locals than I do.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Personally? I'd tell them that the kids were going for historical correctness and just ran out of time to shade Mary... then point them off to a history book

Good answer. Maybe a small display of related reference stuff, too. :)