CEO of Books-A-Million came to my town a few days ago...

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know where to post this, but I knew it would be adequately appreciated on AW. :)

A local 3rd grader (I teach 3rd at a different school) wanted a Books-A-Million in town and started a letter writing campaign to get one. He got the word from the CEO himself that we would be getting a store! So encouraging and makes me proud!

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2010/12/the-small-town-books-a-million-miracle.html

From the New Yorker article:

Given the more-or-less constant barrage of sad news about bookstores closing their doors, it’s easy to imagine a sort of anti-intellectual Grinch gleefully rubbing his hands together in anticipation of a bookless Christmas this year. (“I must stop children from reading!” he exclaims, smashing a Kindle and dumping stack after forlorn stack of paperbacks into his sack.)

But, as the season’s first snow flurries fell in New York yesterday morning, we awoke to news of a Christmas miracle in a faraway land. Could it be? Charlie McClurg, a third-grader in Dalton, Georgia, wished for a bookstore. But instead of sending his request to Santa Claus, he launched a letter-writing campaign begging Books-A-Million to open a branch in his hometown. On Friday, the Dalton Daily Citizen reports, Clyde B. Anderson, the Books-A-Million chairman and C.E.O, came to Westwood Elementary School to deliver the good news: a new bookstore will indeed open at the nearby Walnut Square Mall, perhaps even in time for Christmas.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is great, good for Charlie. I think those of us who live in larger cities sometimes take things, like having a bookstore, for granted.

MM