brainstorming ideas for spa magazine

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
I don't have the experience or cred to write for Spa magazine, but it's a lucrative market (relatively) for which I think I could write. However, I'm racking my brain thinking of a good idea. I used to be really into homemade beauty products, but they already have lots of those from one writer.

As a comedian, I'd really like to write about top spa scenes from TV and movies, but it's not the kind of article they'd do.
Also, since I love to write about consumer issues, I'd really like to do a Consumer Reports style article on cheap and expensive spa products, but I think this might conflict with the magazine's sponsors and product plugs.

One idea is that they've never covered Munich, which has some spas, and is a fairly big tourist destination due to Oktoberfest. I've been there a bunch of times to visit my family (never been to their spas!), so that might work. They have quite a few spas in Munich.

Another idea is asking industry pros for the next big thing in spas. Maybe it's zero gravity chambers. (Kidding.)

wrtaway

to be determined later
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't a new trend per se, but I do seem to be seeing more of it these days, at least where I live: spa products derived from food. (Mostly chocolate and wine, but I've also seen fruit-oriented massages (grape massage, strawberry scrub). Personally, I think that this sounds unsanitary and sticky, and to a germ-a-phobe such as myself, downright revolting. The perfect topic to write about with a comedian's sensibility, perhaps?

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
How about the history of spas? You could do articles on things like Roman thermae, Bath (England) during Jane Austen's time, sea-bathing in the Victorian times, Native American sweat lodges, etc, etc.

The trick would be to make the narratives both lively and accurate.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
How about the history of spas? You could do articles on things like Roman thermae, Bath (England) during Jane Austen's time, sea-bathing in the Victorian times, Native American sweat lodges, etc, etc.

The trick would be to make the narratives both lively and accurate.

I think you have the wrong idea about their readership.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Maybe for next Christmas, you could pitch spa-related gifts with a sidebar on spa stocking stuffers?

You can tell where my head is right now. :)

How about how to get your man into a spa and ideas for couples' treatments? I have a guy friend right now who is huge on Asian-style spas in the U.S. (such as SpaWorld here in VA), and that might be an interesting topic, too.

I like the idea of spas in Munich - I'd be interested in reading an article like that. Went to Munich in '08 and I LOVED it. My husband and I are always talking about going back. :)

Stephanie Mojica

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniemojica.com
Could you find a spa guru to interview in person or over the telephone? Q&A articles or interview articles are great ways for unknown writers to break into major markets. Make sure he/she has not already been featured in the magazine before investing a lot of your time into this effort.

Good luck!

Peace, love, and happiness,
Stephanie