• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Betas wanted for a Greek Myth (Comedy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
Need some beta readers (I'm willing to swap) for a piece that's been through the wringer countless times already. To any prior readers of Stoned, I literally reworked / took a chain saw to the majority of the book to drastically change the plot based on some awesome feedback ("wouldn't it be cool if..." "Yeah, that would rock!") so if you read it again, it won't be the same at all other than the basic setup and premise.

Early first 1k of the manuscript can be found here and ought give you a glimpse of the style and plot:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112386

Basic plot and hook is as follows:

Alexander Weiss's morning routine is interrupted when a whale is dropped on his head. The twelve Olympians have returned from vacation, and he just happened to be caught in the crossfire of one of their squabbles.

Dying should have been easy, but while Alex tours the Underworld, he manages to insult Athena, goddess of wisdom. In order to make amends, all he needs to do is find a date for a girl named Euryale. Unbeknownst to Alex, the bachelorette is just like her sister, Medusa, and has the annoying habit of turning her suitors to stone. After trying a dating service and amassing a hefty collection of new statues, Alex falls in love with Euryale and proposes.

The wedding, however, is far from perfect. During the festivities, Alex tarnishes the honor of Ares, god of war. Ares, in polite response, kidnaps Alex's bride and challenges him to glorious combat. Winner takes all.

Now Alex will need the cunning of Odysseus and the strength of Heracles if he is to survive the war, rescue the love of his afterlife, and not piss off the remaining Olympians that still find his antics entertaining.

Thanks in advance and hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to add, I don't need line by lines at all (though you are free). General feelings on flow, plot, and/or characters is all I want. Danke!

WorkingTitle

Never quite right...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey megoblocks!

I loved the last book I betaed for you. I'd love to have a shot at this one, if you'll let me. :)

I'll PM you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.