Etiquette re: my new agent

Fae11

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

I signed up with an agent back in the spring and after putting in loads of time reviewing my manuscript, she gave me a huge rewrite to do. I sent the edited manuscript to her in October and she expressed excitement about reading it. About two weeks later, I asked how long she thought it would be before she would read and she apologized, saying there was a ms before mine to get through and it would be a couple of weeks. That was a month ago -- I still haven't heard from her. I'm getting antsy, not to mention a bit paranoid that she read my revised manuscript and didn't like it. How long should I sit tight before nudging? Is there even a chance she's blowing me off?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Different agents work at different paces. It's possible she has other manuscripts to read, not to mention contracts to work on and other daily job requirements. She's already put a lot of time into your manuscript, so it's unlikely she's blowing you off. Give it time.

If you haven't already, you can also check our Bewares & Background Checks sub-forum for this particular agent/agency. Posters often leave information about response times and experiences with agents. It's likely you just have an agent who is slower to respond.

Truth and Fiction

On the tip of my tongue
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauramaylenewalter.com
That doesn't sound long to me. If she said she'd get to it in "a couple of weeks" and a month has gone by, that's nothing.

You can email her to ask for a brief status update, but I wouldn't get too antsy just yet.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
She signed you before reading the huge rewrite? That's extremely unusual, so I have no idea what she's doing, or how much time it will take.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
You should be working on your next book anyway.

Seriously. Don't put your writing process on hold while you wait for feedback from agents (or editors, or the public).

Fae11

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, for all the feedback everyone! Yes, she definitely checks out with P&E Susan, and I agree that the process wasn't quite the norm in terms of rewriting. I think my agent didn't expect to suggest so many revisions when we agreed to work together, but then she wanted more changes once she dug into the manuscript. That makes it even harder to wait in some ways, because I'm fearful of what she'll do if she doesn't like what she sees! On the other hand, she's invested a lot of time, so I probably just need to stay calm. I'm trying to work on book #2 -- that's sensible advice IceCreamEmpress -- I just find it hard to concentrate because I keep expecting to hear any minute that I have to keep working on book #1. But I think I'm just stuck waiting for now, so I will probably check in with her and just try to keep working.

fov

Rattenmonster
Registered
Reaction score
My situation was similar. After signing the contract, I did one rewrite that the agent got to a month or two after I submitted it, and another one that took five months before she got back to me. It was longer than I wanted but there were reasons for it. Try not to worry!

Last edited:

Fae11

Registered
Reaction score
That's reassuring FOV -- thank you for your reply! May I ask, was it worth waiting that long for your agent's comments? And also, did your agent keep you posted about how long it would take (mine hasn't, unless I've asked) or did you check in with her? I never understood that it could take a long time, and what threw me off the most was when she said it would be "a couple of weeks" and now it will be at least a couple of months. The lack of communication is almost as hard as the waiting...

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Fae. Waiting is hard, especially when we run into the holidays.
Your agent has a life and this time of year is crazy.
You've succeeded where many of us have not yet...you have an agent!
I agree with the others, work on another project and let your agent have the time she needs.
At least, as a client, you are ahead of all the querys and the slush pile.
Relax a bit and know that the extra time will be to your benefit.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
This is not out of the ordinary. My agent usually has a lot of rewrites for me, and it sometimes takes her a while to read because her plate is always full. You can always ask her where you're at in her stack (mine tells me if I ask).

Fae11

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like I have to be patient, but maybe I don't have to be so worried about reaching out to my agent and asking where things stand. I'm always afraid of being too pushy, but you guys have convinced me like it's actually fair for me to ask -- maybe my agent even expects it!

fov

Rattenmonster
Registered
Reaction score
I checked in a few times during the wait and was just told they weren't done with it yet. The agency didn't initiate contact with me until they were ready to talk. At the beginning of the phone call she said they wanted to give it some space before reviewing it, to be able to look at it with a fresh perspective. (That's fair, but it might have been easier to wait if I'd known that's what they were doing...)

As for whether the comments were worth the wait... yes in the sense that they were happy with the revision. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, they didn't think it was a good time to try selling it, which was of course disappointing (and may have had something to do with why it took so long for them to get back to me in the first place!) The whole situation might have been easier to deal with if I'd been focusing on and excited about something new the entire time I was waiting, but like you I didn't want to divert my attention too much, in case another rewrite was needed.

If it were me, I would wait to contact your agent until after the holidays, since this is a busy time. When I was waiting, I would always tell myself I'd wait until X date before emailing them... and then when that deadline came, I usually just reset it and said I'd wait until another date. They hadn't forgotten about me, and in retrospect I don't think emailing them more often would have helped at all. Maybe if you haven't heard anything a few weeks into January you could send a note wishing a happy new year and ask about the status.

Last edited:

Fae11

Registered
Reaction score
I really feel for you Fov -- I'm sorry you were strung along like that. I know that agents are busy, but it sure would be nice if they took the time to keep their writers apprised without being asked. I often wonder if they get as anxious waiting to hear back from editors as we do waiting to hear back from them. Anyway, I'll think about your advice. I'm not sure I can hold out until after the holidays, but it's probably the wise course of action.