Silver King
12-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Do you care to elaborate on your offering, mego? All I see is a black box

Wayne K
12-08-2010, 03:59 AM
Its the coolest thing I've ever seen

Shadow_Ferret
12-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Seriously, wouldn't the Amish use CANDLES like they used to use before electricity came along?

Wicked
Do you care to elaborate on your offering, mego? All I see is a black box

No electricity = no lights

Wayne K
:(

Shadow_Ferret
12-08-2010, 04:03 AM
No electricity = no lights

No it doesn't. As I pointed out. They'd have used candles, which were traditionally used before Edison.

Wayne K
12-08-2010, 04:05 AM
They should use jars full of fireflies

veinglory
12-08-2010, 04:07 AM
I think using candles would still be seen as ostentatious.

KellyAssauer
12-08-2010, 04:10 AM
*whew* for a second there I thought I was going to see downtown Lancaster PA...

Selah March
12-08-2010, 04:31 AM
I think using candles would still be seen as ostentatious.

And wasteful. Thriftiness is highly regarded among the plain.

Wayne K
12-08-2010, 04:33 AM
I think we should all do this

Kaiser-Kun
12-08-2010, 04:48 AM
That big neighbor up there is always out-lighting everyone.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/upload/2010/07/the_biggest_star_weve_ever_fou/night_sky-9030_0.jpeg

Izz
12-08-2010, 04:50 AM
That big neighbor up there is always out-lighting everyone.That's one of the great things if you live somewhere without much artificial lighting (street, building, etc). You can actually see the stars. Really see the stars.

I don't live somewhere like that at the moment, but i'm working on it.

Silver King
12-08-2010, 04:52 AM
I can't decide whether this thread originated as a means to make fun of Amish folks or to discuss their way of life without ridiculing them.

It shouldn't be too hard to guess which of the two won't be welcomed in this room.

Arc Jerome
12-08-2010, 04:53 AM
But what if a barn was on fire, independent of any light display. Would an Amishman try to pass it off as a Christmas light display and invite his neighbors over to carol?

jvc
12-08-2010, 06:40 AM
I think there is a very fine line here, and some may be jumping up and down on it. Not cool to make fun of other people's beliefs. Even if we don't agree with them.

Caitlin Black
12-08-2010, 06:42 AM
I can't decide whether this thread originated as a means to make fun of Amish folks or to discuss their way of life without ridiculing them.

It shouldn't be too hard to guess which of the two won't be welcomed in this room.

I think there is a very fine line here, and some may be jumping up and down on it. Not cool to make fun of other people's beliefs. Even if we don't agree with them.

This.

megoblocks
12-08-2010, 08:37 AM
No one is making fun of anything. No need to be so touchy.

Devil Ledbetter
12-08-2010, 05:26 PM
No one is making fun of anything. No need to be so touchy.No one is being touchy. I probably couldn't be more opposite in beliefs from the Amish, yet it's plain to me you were poking fun at them. Just because they're not here to be offended by your joke doesn't class it up any.

megoblocks
12-08-2010, 05:43 PM
No one is being touchy. I probably couldn't be more opposite in beliefs from the Amish, yet it's plain to me you were poking fun at them. Just because they're not here to be offended by your joke doesn't class it up any.

Oh please. There is no judgement on them whatsoever and the only way there is one is if you assign it. Does the joke say they are dumb for what they do? No. Does it say they are evil? Or bad? Or wrong? No, no, and no. It just gives the unexpected, which is why any joke is funny.

Do you get offended at comics in the paper as well? What about every other thread around here? There are cross dressing jokes, genital jokes, geek jokes, mental illness jokes, who people marry jokes, generational jokes, etc.

Devil Ledbetter
12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
No one is making fun of anything.

Does the joke say they are dumb for what they do? No. Does it say they are evil? Or bad? Or wrong? No, no, and no. It just gives the unexpected, which is why any joke is funny.

Do you get offended at comics in the paper as well? What about every other thread around here? There are cross dressing jokes, genital jokes, geek jokes, mental illness jokes, who people marry jokes, generational jokes, etc.

First you say "No one is making fun of anything" but then you say it was a joke and go on about jokes, jokes, jokes. Jokes are by definition "making fun." So, Megoblocks, were you making fun of the Amish or not?

Since when is making fun of other's religions appropriate?

scarletpeaches
12-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Let the record show I did not start this thread.

If Ol' Bag so wishes, I can post a Gerard before this thing gets locked.

Devil Ledbetter
12-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Let the record show I did not start this thread.

That would make a great sig line.

Bmwhtly
12-08-2010, 05:52 PM
*Sits in the corner of the thread, pointing and laughing*

Hahahaha!
Some people have chosen to live differently from us!

*Wanders out so as not to get locked in*

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Ol' Bag is watchin'.

scarletpeaches
12-08-2010, 05:55 PM
That would make a great sig line.You may use it.

Now, to calm Ye Olde Bag down when she finally sees this shitstorm-waiting-to-happen, I bring to you one of my finest - and hairiest - Gerards.
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae287/scarlettparrish/Gerard%20Butler/GerardButler260.jpg

ETA: Crikey, the Bagster's here already! Enjoy, Oh Great Baggy One. :D

Priene
12-08-2010, 05:56 PM
The Amish have a better nightly light show than a city dweller can dream of, even on New Years Eve. (Except when it's cloudy.)

That big neighbor up there is always out-lighting everyone.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/upload/2010/07/the_biggest_star_weve_ever_fou/night_sky-9030_0.jpeg

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Your offering pleases me.

You may use it.

Now, to calm Ye Olde Bag down when she finally sees this shitstorm-waiting-to-happen, I bring to you one of my finest - and hairiest - Gerards.
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae287/scarlettparrish/Gerard%20Butler/GerardButler260.jpg

ETA: Crikey, the Bagster's here already! Enjoy, Oh Great Baggy One. :D

brainstorm77
12-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Maybe it would be better for the OP to explain what the point of posting that was. Was it a joke? Was it to show the difference in cultures?

ETA: Ok, so it was meant to be a joke. TBH I did not get it at first. Slow on the uptake I guess.

Bmwhtly
12-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Was it a joke? Was it to show the difference in cultures?Or was it definitely a cheap crack at another culture?

Vote Now!

Devil Ledbetter
12-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Maybe it would be better for the OP to explain what the point of posting that was. Was it a joke? Was it to show the difference in cultures?He said he wasn't making fun, but then he said it was a joke. I predict he'll come back and try to nail some more Jello to the wall. That seems to be his MO.

brainstorm77
12-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Is there a poll?

Devil Ledbetter
12-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Or was it definitely a cheap crack at another culture?

Vote Now!I vote Nailing Jello to a Cheap Crack.

scarletpeaches
12-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I vote nailing someone's crack with a [censored!] like jello.

brainstorm77
12-08-2010, 06:08 PM
He said he wasn't making fun, but then he said it was a joke. I predict he'll come back and try to nail some more Jello to the wall. That seems to be his MO.

What's funny is I'm sure they have a better grasp of Christmas then many in general society. I shudder to think what the malls and others stores are like at this time of year with people scrambing to buy high priced junk to make themselves feel somewhat complete. But that's another rant for another thread.:tongue

Bmwhtly
12-08-2010, 06:09 PM
I vote Nailing Jello to a Cheap Crack.Second!

kayleamay
12-08-2010, 06:10 PM
This thread made me curious. I don't live in Amish country, so I looked it up.

http://www.amishnews.com/amisharticles/amishchristmas.htm

mscelina
12-08-2010, 06:19 PM
This is asinine and juvenile. Seriously.

Making fun of a set of religious beliefs is not cool, not matter how funny you may think you are. I live in Amish country and know quite a few Amish families. My family has done business with them for years. When I was a kid, they always brought my brother and I beautifully crafted homemade toys; I still have some of the dolls. They are very nice, kind people who wouldn't dream of making fun of other people for their religious beliefs. No, they just go quietly on their way, live their lives and endure a lot of ridicule and harassment from a bunch of punk kids who also think they're realllllly funny. And aren't.

Seems to me that Christmas is supposed to be a time of understanding and respect? Perhaps that's changed and no one sent me (or the Amish) a memo? Ah, well.

megoblocks
12-08-2010, 06:20 PM
First you say "No one is making fun of anything" but then you say it was a joke and go on about jokes, jokes, jokes. Jokes are by definition "making fun." So, Megoblocks, were you making fun of the Amish or not?

Since when is making fun of other's religions appropriate?Sorry, your premise is wrong. Jokes point out the unexpected. They don't, by definition, have to belittle, though you seem to want this one to. Shall we look at the difference? Here's e a Polish joke from eons ago (for educational purposes only). "Did you hear about the new Polish invention? (No, what?) Screen doors in submarines"

*That* joke is making fun of the Polish. Why? Because the unexpected (screen doors in submarines) is deadly and sinks the sub (which also is bad). Now then, if we return to our Amish Christmas light display, what is inherently dumb, dangerous, amoral, etc. about not using electricity to light up a tree / house / bushes for Christmas? Nothing, of course. But then unexpected is there. You see the thread title and instantly your mind goes to something extravagant like http://www.wallcoo.net/holiday/Merry_xmas_night_07_1600x1200/images/wallcoo.com_Christmas_night_Xmas_2.jpg

But instead of what you immediately conjure up, you get a black box -- the punch line.

So now that I've answered your question. Please tell me whether or not you get offended at comics, as well as all the lifestyle jokes that go on around here.

brainstorm77
12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't read comics, but yes I have been offended by some lifestyle jokes that have been made on here. And many times the mods have stepped into those threads.

Kaiser-Kun
12-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Do you get offended at comics in the paper as well? Yes, if it's offensive I don't give a crap where it's posted What about every other thread around here? There are cross dressing jokes offensive, genital jokes, geek jokes, mental illness jokes VERY offensive, who people marry jokes, generational jokes, etc.

Bolding mine. I'm worried about those who think that mocking people with mental illness is fun.

mscelina
12-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Sorry, your premise is wrong. Jokes point out the unexpected. They don't, by definition, have to belittle, though you seem to want this one to. Shall we look at the difference? Here's e a Polish joke from eons ago (for educational purposes only). "Did you hear about the new Polish invention? (No, what?) Screen doors in submarines"

*That* joke is making fun of the Polish. Why? Because the unexpected (screen doors in submarines) is deadly and sinks the sub (which also is bad). Now then, if we return to our Amish Christmas light display, what is inherently dumb, dangerous, amoral, etc. about not using electricity to light up a tree / house / bushes for Christmas? Nothing, of course. But then unexpected is there. You see the thread title and instantly your mind goes to something extravagant like http://www.wallcoo.net/holiday/Merry_xmas_night_07_1600x1200/images/wallcoo.com_Christmas_night_Xmas_2.jpg

But instead of what you immediately conjure up, you get a black box -- the punch line.

So now that I've answered your question. Please tell me whether or not you get offended at comics, as well as all the lifestyle jokes that go on around here.

I don't get offended at comics; I get offended at people who make "jokes" and then try to explain their insensitivity away with a bunch of pseudo-intellectual self-rationalization. *shrug* But then again, humor isn't really my strong point.

*rolls eyes*

Bmwhtly
12-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I think it's time we draw this to a close with a nice hefty lock.

Devil Ledbetter
12-08-2010, 06:27 PM
I think it's time we draw this to a close with a nice hefty lock.
Second! :D

And my Jello/Cheap Crack prediction was dead on.

megoblocks
12-08-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't get offended at comics;
Why not? They make fun of something / someone at some point.

I get offended at people who make "jokes" and then try to explain their insensitivity away with a bunch of pseudo-intellectual self-rationalization. *shrug* But then again, humor isn't really my strong point.

*rolls eyes*Ad hominem attacks usually show the weakness of one particular side. I haven't made any whatsoever. In fact, my position why the joke is not casting judgement on the Amish is calmly laid out. Those who oppose / find it offensive (on behalf of people they haven't even consulted no less) are the ones slinging mud.

If its offensive, in all seriousness, you should be able to articulate why it is.

scarletpeaches
12-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Those who oppose / find it offensive (on behalf of people they haven't even consulted no less) are the ones slinging mud.You assume no-one here associates with any of the Amish?

Devil Ledbetter
12-08-2010, 06:33 PM
You assume no-one here associates with any of the Amish?Apparently he skimmed over Mscelina's previous post where she outlined her close contacts with the Amish. Huh.

brainstorm77
12-08-2010, 06:34 PM
There is a member here who is connected with the Amish community through family. I forget the name, but it's not important.

Kaiser-Kun
12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Why not? They make fun of something / someone at some point.

Yes, but if the butt of the joke is at the expense of another culture/race/belief, then it's offensive, like the stupid cartoons made against the muslims in the last years. Try saying your "joke" in an Amish community and tell us the results.

And really, the "they do it in comics and other threads too" is a pretty weak argument. Those comics and threads have been punished and locked for precisely that reason.

megoblocks
12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
You assume no-one here associates with any of the Amish?
I seriously doubt in the span of a half day anyone here rushed over with a laptop to his or her Amish friends, presented said comic / joke in a neutral way, asked for an honest opinion on whether or not it was harmless or offensive, and then rushed back (which would be the consultation part).

megoblocks
12-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Apparently he skimmed over Mscelina's previous post where she outlined her close contacts with the Amish. Huh.

Apparently you missed the consulted part. So can you articulate why this says Amish are bad for not using electric lights or not?

megoblocks
12-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Yes, but if the butt of the joke is at the expense of another culture/race/belief, then it's offensive, like the stupid cartoons made against the muslims in the last years. Try saying your "joke" in an Amish community and tell us the results.Agreed. But I'm still asking how this is at anyone's expense. See the Polish example for what I'm saying is the big difference.

And really, the "they do it in comics and other threads too" is a pretty weak argument. Those comics and threads have been punished and locked for precisely that reason.That's not my point, or wasn't intended to be. I was just pointing out the insane double standard around here on numerous posts that "make fun of people" that never go unchecked, and the fact that as above, any comic in any paper, book, etc. is technically at someone's expense, do you (generic you) get up in arms about Garfield? Calvin and Hobbes? Beetle Bailey? etc.

Devil Ledbetter
12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Apparently you missed the consulted part. So can you articulate why this says Amish are bad for not using electric lights or not?I'd rather give Mscelena the benefit of the doubt that she has enough real life experience with the Amish to understand how they'd feel about something without demanding she bring her laptop over and have them rate the offensiveness of your cheap shots on a case-by-case basis.

I do not owe you any further "articulation" as I've already made my views quite plain. However, do feel free to read and reread my previous posts until your eyes spurt blood.

Bmwhtly
12-08-2010, 06:42 PM
However, feel free to read and reread my previous posts until your eyes spurt blood.
*Crosses Fingers*

scarletpeaches
12-08-2010, 06:43 PM
...do feel free to read and reread my previous posts until your eyes spurt blood.As a migraine sufferer who regularly experiences visual distortion, I am offended by this post.

dpaterso
12-08-2010, 06:44 PM
For what it's worth I chuckled when I realized the pic was just darkness, not a movie clip or anything -- but part of that chuckle was at my own dorkheadedness for not realizing in advance by looking at the thread title that it must be a joke.

Anyways, things have drifted about as far away from a fun thread as they can, so let's give the thread a breather. Forum mods may decide to re-open it later.

-Derek

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Only long enough to thank Derek for closing this mess while I was en route to work and tied up with meatspace realities.