• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Too Much Lurking, Not enough Working...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working like a snail on my third novel. I only have 7k words from a months worth. I keep stalling on it.

I try to force myself, but that isn't working. How do I get the fire under my arse? How do you motivate yourself and keep going?

I get easily distracted with the net, especially here. I know, I know...stop doing that, right? But it's so addictive!

Anyways, I was wondering how you guys handle the trek.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I started setting a minimum daily word count (not too high, but still high enough to push the story along) that I have to hit before I go to bed. I usually go well above it, but the fact that I have to do it forces me to get started. Once I get started it usually flows pretty well. I can be a terrible procrastinator, but sometimes it all comes down to self-discipline. Once you get a routine going every night/morning/whatever, it gets easier to stick with it (for me anyway).

If all else fails, there are programs out there that will block you from cruising the Internet for a time you specify. I don't remember what they are called offhand, but I'm sure someone will.

This site is terrible addictive. It's like chocolate. Or coffee. Mmm...now I want a mocha. :(

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good idea about the word count. I did around 1000 words a day with the other ones and it worked out. This one is spuratic. Turning off the net would help, you're right.

It's weird, I did better when I wrote outside in the garage. Now that is it freezingly cold, I haven't done anything. Maybe a new spot in the house would help?

Thanks again for your tips!

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
That's a good idea about the word count. I did around 1000 words a day with the other ones and it worked out. This one is spuratic. Turning off the net would help, you're right.

It's weird, I did better when I wrote outside in the garage. Now that is it freezingly cold, I haven't done anything. Maybe a new spot in the house would help?

Thanks again for your tips!

Freezingly = new adverb!

I love it!

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lmc,

I too lurk on here more often than I should. But I like to think that I'm still expressing myself. In a completely unproductive manner, for sure.

But I've just decided that my latest W.I.P. is C.R.A.P. - thankfully I've got another idea brewing. An idea generated from a response I made to another thread.

So it's swing and roundabouts really.

Why not leave your WIP for a couple of days, try writing something else. And then, when you least expect it, you'll get a killer idea that'll add 93,000 words to the 7k you've already written. In theory.

Regards

Whacko

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I do a couple of things. First, and the most helpful, is a daily word count goal. I try to set something that is challenging, but doable. It used to be 1000, but I recently upped it to 2500, so that I could hopefully get this draft finished by the end of the year.

Another thing which helps me, but may not apply to you, is the fact that I really don't want to be working on a novel for a couple of years. Every day I am not working on my novel, is another day before I can be published.

And the final thing is that occasionally, reading other people's word counts, and seeing how fast they write, lights up the competitive spirit in me. I don't openly compete with other people, that's not healthy, but when I see that someone wrote their novel in, like four months, I think to myself "Whatever, I can do that to. Time to get back to writing." I've never written a novel in four months, but that thought alone usually gets me off the internet and into my writing for the day. It doesn't always work, but it sometimes helps. It's kind of like the combination of competitive spirit, plus guilt trip ("If I wasn't on the internet all the time, I could have written a novel in four months, too," kind of thoughts). If you think the guilt trip thing might work for you, look at the signatures of the people in this forum, and see how many/how far some of them are in on their projects. That might get you going. Or give you a complex. Sorry if it's the latter.

Also, this is in no way a post against putting word counts in your signatures. ^__^

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
When I get going on a book I wont log on in the morning until I have 1000 words. When I get bored with you people I do it again. Then again until I'm done. I do at least 3 to 5K a day.

It works for me.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I write with a pen and paper. Neither connects to the internet.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Just sit your butt in the chair and write, for chrissake. You think it's gonna write itself?

As my dad would say, 'quit yer bitchin and get yer writin' done.'

:D

Haha...thanks! I needed that. Actually I wrote another 300 words just now. Something is better than nothing, right?

I like the competitive thing too and the signature line thing, Sevvy thanks!

And Wayne, that sounds good too. I usually check AW right after I roll outta bed. But I seriously need to change that habit. Cause honestly I can spend hours reading and commenting on the boards.

Well, for what it is worth...I am glad I got a chance to read the previous chap again and create another 300 words.

I think I'm gonna try 500+ everyday...whether its junk or whatever, at least it's something.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I write with a pen and paper. Neither connects to the internet.

Believe it or not that is how I wrote some more today.

Went to the Home Depot, got some juice for the heater and sat out in the garage. Only problem is the kerasine for the heater is 10 bucks a pop and goes quick. Writing this sucker might be expensive. LOL

barbilarry

I just wanna write
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do what Wayne and Ray do...I self banned myself for about five months. Only on a handful of times. Now I give myself this site as my reward for a good days writing. And...tell myself a productive writer is a happy writer and deserves a reward of AW time...it works for me! Hugs!

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working like a snail on my third novel. I only have 7k words from a months worth. I keep stalling on it...
Anyways, I was wondering how you guys handle the trek.

There's the old standbys:

1. Set aside a specific time to write each day. For years, I wrote between 9 pm and 11 pm after the grandkids went to bed. Now I write in the mornings, unfortunately on not quite as rigid a schedule.

2. Set aside a location to write in, where the Internet is forbidden if possible (eg, too far from the wireless router). The point, though, is to associate the location with writing.

3. Write with a buddy so you can police each other.

4. Get an automatic 24 hour lighting timer and connect it to your router, so it's shut off during your writing time.

Last edited:

Truth and Fiction

On the tip of my tongue
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauramaylenewalter.com
Just sit your butt in the chair and write, for chrissake. You think it's gonna write itself?

As my dad would say, 'quit yer bitchin and get yer writin' done.'

Totally agree. All writers struggle with distractions and spending too much time online instead of working. Try the tips other have mentioned, sure. But in the end, you're only accountable to yourself and no one is going to force you to write. Get in that chair and get to work!

mgencleyn

Damned Butterfly
Registered
Reaction score
I've been two years working out my story. A few days ago I finally passed the 10,000 mark. Another 19 years and I should be ready to edit.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I like the competitive thing too

Another thing you could try is to jump into the AW chat room. There's almost always someone there who is either already word warring, or would be willing to word war with you.

(A word war is when you pick a time, say 30 minutes, and write for that time along with everyone else taking part. You then compare word counts at the end. Repeat as often as you want.)

I find the word wars there give me a bit of company, while also keeping me writing regularly.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... when at work on a project I set weekly goals. That helps me stay focused. I still spend time here, but as long as I'm meeting my goals that's okay. It's an informative site and there are cool people to hang out with, but one can tend to overdo it at times. So I know where you're coming from with that. G'luck.

Carpinttas

Reading Hyperbole and a Half :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crows-wolves.blogspot.com
Try to think about what makes you like writing to get motivated.
Try to think about what inspires you to get ideas when your stuck.
Kick everyone out of the room when writing! I hate been distracted! :rant:

That's how I do it, although Im not a real writer, hope it helps.:)

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
I only come here when I want to read the newest post on a thread that interests me, and I come here when the word count I am trying to hit on the whole WIP, for instance, the current one is 63,800 words, that way chapter 9 will be finished and chapter 10 will have some words written so I can just expand the scenes instead of writing brand new ones, when I am finished expanding the scenes that will be left over, and I reply when someone needs help and I give him or her a suggestion. The thread that I am constantly checking on is the Finish the Damn Book Challenge. My suggestion is be like this. (Example)

"Today, I expect to hit the 63,800 words." (Using my case as an example.)

That way, you won't lurk so much because you know that you have to hit those 63.8k words before you go to bed. Read a novel that is in the same genre as yours. Watch a movie that has a plot similar to yours. (Example: Man killing everyone to avenge the death of his father) and disconnect from the internet somehow and forget you even have it. Listen to a playlist where the songs are related to your novel.

If you need any more advice, let me know.

Carpinttas

Reading Hyperbole and a Half :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crows-wolves.blogspot.com
Luckly, in the last month (and first, since I started writing a month ago :p ) I haven't been able to stop writing.
Yesterday I was writing so much I only remembered about my two written tests (im a student) when it was... ahh.. about 1am. Wait that means it was today. LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.