What Word Processor Do You Use?

Radhika

The Young Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I use Microsoft Word 2003 generally, but am looking into less clutter, so I'm trying out RoughDraft rather than those big complex and cluttered ones like MS Word and OpenOffice.

What do you use?

Last edited:

Radhika

The Young Writer
Registered
Reaction score
MS Word 2007.

And wouldn't this be better off in a more writing-related section of AW?

:)

I couldn't find any place in particular.
There was nothing marked "General Writing Discussion"
:p

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I couldn't find any place in particular.
There was nothing marked "General Writing Discussion"
:p

Roundtable - For those more peripheral or general discussions

Anyway, Word...er...can't remember which version. 2007 probably. Doesn't matter really. It works, that's the main thing :D

fwc

!eltneg eb ,dik weN
Registered
Reaction score
I out-cool the cool by having Office 2010

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
I write my first drafts on my Alphasmart Neo, then transfer the files to Word, either 2003 or 2007, for formatting and submission preparation. Nothing fancy.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Word 2003. If it ain't broke, no point in fixin' it.

What clutter are you referring to? It's easy to turn off the autocheck/autocorrect garbage and just write, you know?

Maryn, who did that long ago

Radhika

The Young Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Word 2003. If it ain't broke, no point in fixin' it.

What clutter are you referring to? It's easy to turn off the autocheck/autocorrect garbage and just write, you know?

Maryn, who did that long ago

Not that clutter, but it's just easier to write in a minimalistic environment. And neither OpenOffice nor Microsoft Word offer me that. I would write on one of those online things like Writer (I think that's what it's called), but that's too LITTLE. :]

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Pages because I have a Mac. I can export to Word doc. I can also open them just fine.

I did try Scrivener recently but decided that I preferred my own system already set up. Pages pretty much has everything I already need that Scrivener offered, plus I don't need to learn a new system.

I don't like fancy. All these "made for author" programs are a little involved for me. I stick with what I know.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I don't know because I'm no pro. I would copy and paste before I spent bucks on Office AND iLife just to transfer files.

From someone who has used both Word and Pages, I found Pages MUCH easier to learn and more adaptable. It does all the same things, but I learned it faster on my own and I didn't need any help figuring it out. Much more intuitive program. I had Office installed on my last Mac and didn't bother with my new one.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
I read your blog and I went through the same issue of looking for the best software I could get. I bought a macbook and used Scrivener for about 8 months and I did all my college papers on it. I scored very well and I loved the simplicity of the text editor. Then I started helping a non profit organization set up their network and I got the Windows 7 bug after using it heavily. It's not a bad OS really and if you get the windows updates and Norton 360 you should be covered.

And here is the kicker, I just found a few days ago that Scrivener beta is out for Windows 7 and it's free to try. Yesterday I typed the initial draft of a short story I had been tinkering with on paper. Don't get too hung up on software though but like I said Scrivener is free to try right now. http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerforwindows/

During the holiday deals I bought a natural keyboard for my desktop which is such a relief to my wrists. I also bought a used top of the line sony vaio, but that was more of an indulgence on my part. It is really light though so it's super portable.

Good luck, if all else fails there's always pen and paper.

P.S. If your first name is Ryan, then I remember you from nano of last year.

Last edited:

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I'll use Word 2007. If I'm away from the house I may use WordPad until I can transfer it.

If I'm not using my desktop or my netbook, but someone else's computer, I'll use Google's Documents.

Radhika

The Young Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I read your blog and I went through the same issue of looking for the best software I could get. I bought a macbook and used Scrivener for about 8 months and I did all my college papers on it. I scored very well and I loved the simplicity of the text editor. Then I started helping a non profit organization set up their network and I got the Windows 7 bug after using it heavily. It's not a bad OS really and if you get the windows updates and Norton 360 you should be covered.

And here is the kicker, I just found a few days ago that Scrivener beta is out for Windows 7 and it's free to try. Yesterday I typed the initial draft of a short story I had been tinkering with on paper. Don't get too hung up on software though but like I said Scrivener is free to try right now. http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivenerforwindows/

During the holiday deals I bought a natural keyboard for my desktop which is such a relief to my wrists. I also bought a used top of the line sony vaio, but that was more of an indulgence on my part. It is really light though so it's super portable.

Good luck, if all else fails there's always pen and paper.

P.S. If your first name is Ryan, then I remember you from nano of last year.

Yes, I did see Scrivener, but am too Indian to go off and buy it.

And P.S. I apologize, I'm female. :] And new to serious writing.

MichelleH

Registered
Reaction score
Look at all of you with your fancy word processors made this millennium. I'm still rocking it out with Microsoft 97.

Last edited:

Drice

Registered
Reaction score
Bean and Pages on a Mac. Word if forced.
And Pages on my iPad. I love it.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
What?
What is "Edlin?"
If you're running MS Windows, go to the Start menu, select Run..., type command.com and click OK, then type edlin test.txt (or in MS-DOS, just type edlin test.txt) and press enter. You should see an asterisk. Type ? and enter to see a list of commands.

It's not the latest, greatest technology but it's a great improvement over a typewriter.