paralyzing injury

SLF

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:Hi everyone! so I am working on a fantasy story and need ideas for some sort of paralyzing injury. It takes place in your typical cliched fantasy world so middle ages/medievalish setting which means medical knowledge is limited so it can be anything that they couldn't fix then, even if it's fixable now.

The character is the prince so the accident would occur within the castle grounds. My plan is for the accident to have occured when he was little, around 3 years old or so. The accident was caused by his older brother, who was around 12 years old at the time. Preferably, his brother did it on purpose but I'm willing to consider an actual accident. I'm also willing to work with when it happened but the character is only a 6 year old at the start of the story so it'll have to be before that. The brother is a pretty nasty kid so it could go all the way back to when the character was a baby (brother would be 9 years old) if you can think of something.

Thanks!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
-Threw him out the window, a la GRRM
-Ran him over with a horse-drawn cart (I actually know someone paralyzed by being run over by a tractor as a toddler)
-launched him with a trebuchet (this one may be too silly)
-stomped by a horse

SLF

Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I want to avoid pushing down the stairs/out the window if at all possible. Horses would be interesting but, taking my other characters into consideration, it would be difficult to get the two of them alone with a horse/cart. Thanks for the ideas though! I may be able to have him get pushed out of a cart and run over by one behind them I suppose?

Kitti

procrastinatrix
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katotis.com
Falling off a horse would do it - and a prince at that age could have a pony or be starting riding lessons, esp. if the older brother was supervising or encouraging it.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
They wouldn't have to be alone for there to be an accident with a horse or horse and cart - older child simply spooks the horse, and it takes off - stepping on the brother (or pulling a cart over him) before anyone can react. It can look like an accident - or not - depending on what the story needs.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My friend Mary used to be an intensive care nurse, and she told me the events surrounding paralyzing injuries to patients she cared for which could easily work in your setting.

One was a healthy guy in his 20s, just horsing around at home, who jumped down the carpeted stairs to the carpeted floor, from the fourth step. Only the fourth; he was sure of it. He landed badly and broke his back, and was permanently paralyzed from the chest down.

Another was an alcoholic in his late 30s who literally fell off his bar stool, broke his neck, and was paralyzed from the shoulders down, although he had some arm control.

And last, the 13-year-old son of a doctor our daughter used to see jumped from the edge of his front porch onto two feet of snow, to make a super snow angel. The estimated distance, seven feet. He's paralyzed from the neck down--but still pursued film studies at college, graduated magna cum laude, and has moved to NYC to pursue directing.

So really, any minor mishap involving a short fall can produce a paralyzing injury for your character. Have him or her land awkwardly or on something hard, and you're good to go. (But your character needn't be.)

Maryn, who just now read up on the guy who's directing--he's doing pretty well

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a classic for horses that would work pretty well for your story. Little brother is just beginning to ride a pony, and is still being led by one of the servants. Older brother helps to saddle the horse and slips a burr underneath the saddle blanket. When little brother gets on horse, he presses down on saddle, causing the burr to dig into the horse.

Horse starts bucking, sending little brother flying through the air. Little brother lands on back, shattering back.

Advantage is older brother is a crud for pulling a joke on his little brother, but the consequences didn't match the older brother's expectations. This is a classic practical joke played by cowboys since I don't know when. And older brother can learn about it from overhearing some of the knights talking about doing this to someone.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
The late Christopher Reeve had a fall from his horse which paralysed him.

I know such things are serious but I had a great uncle who slipped on a cabbage leaf in a local market. Family history says he sort of went up in the air and then landed on his back. He could not walk properly after the accident. As a child it seemed so funny that a cabbage leaf could harm a grown up. Maybe the elder kid does something silly that causes harm - like putting a cabbage leaf in the way of the younger kid. It would be funny until the severity of the injury is realized.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or, if you decide against horses, how about some sort of childish horseplay? Annoying little brother climbs up in something, a rock or a table, and starts hollering 'I'm the king of the castle' or 'Can't catch me' or similar, and the older brother, annoyed by the little brat, impulsively gives him a shove. Sure, he meant to do it, but he never meant for the brat to fall wrong, and hurt himself so badly.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Any fall has the potential to be paralyzing. All it takes is the right physics of the angle. One need not 'break' a vertebrae either. A compression injury such as Christopher Reeve's will do it as well.

So, a fall backwards - a simple playful push into a horse trough, or washing well - can result in the head striking the back edge. I know someone paralyzed by falling backwards into a rain filled ditch. Doesn't have to be a 'hard' edge either.

I've spent the better part of two decades falling off horses on purpose - and it's the biggest fear I have. You can NEVER be sure how a horse is going to move once you begin to fall.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Two questions:
I thought 3 year olds were made of rubber. They fall all the time, but their bones are so flexible, they rarely break anything. Being pushed from a cart and having the following cart run over him sounds like the most reasonable injury.

In medieval times, would they have the capability to care for someone who was paralyzed? If the person choked on his food, he'd probably die right there.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two questions:
I thought 3 year olds were made of rubber. They fall all the time, but their bones are so flexible, they rarely break anything. Being pushed from a cart and having the following cart run over him sounds like the most reasonable injury.

In medieval times, would they have the capability to care for someone who was paralyzed? If the person choked on his food, he'd probably die right there.

Yes, three year olds and toddlers and infants can all suffer paralyzing spinal cord injuries. Once in a while, a baby is actually paralyzed during birth.

And yeah, it's true that there are about a million things that can go wrong (foremost in my mind would be decubitus ulcers, autonomic dysreflexia, bladder infection, or lung infection), but on the other hand I would think that a lucky few would survive such an injury even without medical care. (But a paraplegic or quadriplegic would not be any more likely to choke on food than anybody else!)

SLF

Registered
Reaction score
oh, guess I forgot to put this in here...he's paralyzed from the waist down, not totally paralyzed. So no choking problems here! So far I'm thinking being run over by a wagon would be my best bet. Although I also like the idea of putting a burr or something uncomfortable under the blanket and having him be bucked off. Maybe I can do both. Have him go out riding with his brother, get bucked off in the middle of the road and then run over by a cart that couldn't stop in time. I've been around horses my entire life so I shouldn't have any problem with finding causes to make a horse buck/spook/etc.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
considering the medical technology of your time frame, it wouldn't even necessarily need to be a spinal cord injury. A bad enough pelvic break would make your character a cripple without paralyzation.

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
In such a setting, paralysis would almost certainly mean death. Moving the injured individual, not understanding the nature of such injuries and, most importantly, social attitudes meant a short life after such an injury. Until very recent times, such an individual was viewed as unwhole and damaged. A burden.
The complications arising from such an injury are legion and without understanding how to deal with them, death was fairly swift. Most, in fact, did not survive the initial injury. If you did, skin, bladder, respiratory and bowel complications would end your life in short order. Without knowing how to stimulate bowel activity, impaction will kill you in a few weeks. A good kidney infection won't take much longer. Skin breakdown is just as fatal.
Even if you did survive, you'd be a severe burden on your family and you'd likely be disposed of soon. It has only been since world war II, really, that spinal cord injuries were studied much at all and only since the 1960s that there were enough survivors to begin to get some understanding of the situation. Even today, research in mobility is limited in scope and volume.
Attitudes toward disabilities in general are still pretty barbaric in many parts of the world I've worked with folks from South America who have survived spinal cord injuries, teaching them to make skin protection cushions from cardboard. The technology to keep them alive just doesn't exist.
There were undoubtedly cases of people surviving for a while, however, they would have been exceptionally rare and certainly limited to people of means who had access to care. Nurses and such to tend to the needs of such a person.
Even leaving a bedroom would be unlikely. Any rudimentary home built wheelchairs, or bath chairs, were cumbersome, heavy and poorly maneuverable.
A more likely scenario might be someone suffering a severely broken leg that left them with a permanent walking impairment. The odds of surviving any type of spinal cord injury are practically impossible. It just didn't happen.

EG

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, in fiction, ANYTHING is possible.
If you are set on a spinal injury, the most likely survivor would be young and suffer an incomplete injury at the lumbar level, leaving a partial paralysis below the waist. With an incomplete injury, one might still have some sensation intact, control over bowel and bladder, leaving the person with weakness and poor coordination while walking. Such a person might make it through with some home made crutches or even a staff.

Send me a PM if you want some nitty gritty on life with a spinal cord injury. I can give you as many stories as you want.

EG