Can I post my book on the web for critique?

Radhika

The Young Writer
Registered
Reaction score
What I'm saying is, can I post my book on places like here and Writing.com for critique, and when I come to you, can I delete it and will you still take my book?

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
What I'm saying is, can I post my book on places like here and Writing.com for critique, and when I come to you, can I delete it and will you still take my book?

As rainsmom says, anything posted outside of a password protected forum is considered published and could very well ruin any interest from an agent/publisher. A publisher or agent will specifically want to know if your manuscript has been previously published -- online included. And everything appearing online is cached forever.

Some agents will be okay with excerpts from a first chapter appearing on your blog/website. But many will recommend only the very minimum, as it's better safe than sorry.

I hope I got that right...

Radhika

The Young Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'll probably post my work on AbsoluteWrite then, just in case.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Errr...to be clear, do not post your entire novel here, 'kay? First chapter, for the purposed of critique, in the appropriate SYW forum, sure -- but posting your entire book all at once isn't going to get you much by way of good response. Perhaps what you really need is a beta reader or two?

Radhika

The Young Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Errr...to be clear, do not post your entire novel here, 'kay? First chapter, for the purposed of critique, in the appropriate SYW forum, sure -- but posting your entire book all at once isn't going to get you much by way of good response. Perhaps what you really need is a beta reader or two?

Yeah, of course. I'm probably only going to post a bit just to confirm my writing style and such. I obviously know not to post my entire novel, I don't think anyone will read it.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Yeah, of course. I'm probably only going to post a bit just to confirm my writing style and such. I obviously know not to post my entire novel, I don't think anyone will read it.
heh - cool. :) We've had the occasional new member who didn't actually get that. Thanks for the follow-up clarification.