I am going to the WD pitch slam in NYC. Need advice please

Luis

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am attending the WD pitch slam in January in New York. My novel couldn't be more ready. It is my first time at ANY writers conference and I need help, advice. Has anyone been to a pitch slam? what are they like?

What should I focus on? I have 90 seconds for the pitch. Do I bring query letters, a manuscript, synopsis? How many copies? I know I should focus on all of the cool lectures in the morning but I willl be sweating the slam the whole day. Can you eat at those things?

Can't back out now, money's already been spennt.

Thank's to everyone, any advice is appreciated.
Luis
http://writerinwind.blogspot.com

daisyb

Registered
Reaction score
Luis, I posted a thread about this and got quite a few responses ("are pitch slams worth it?") so you might want to check that out. I was unsure about attending the WD conference but ended up signing up for it this week, so I'm in the same boat!

I was wondering about what to bring as well ... from what I've heard the agents just ask you to e-mail them if they want to read a full or partial. I can't imagine they'd want to lug multiple copies of manuscripts back with them, especially if they're traveling from far away. I will definitely be bringing plenty of business cards with me, and maybe copies of my synopsis.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Know your query front to back and sideways. Be prepared with comps (this would appeal to fans of...) and answers to how yours is different.

Bring business cards and have quick and easy access to your electronic manuscript, should you get a request. Some agents have indicated that if you pitch a manuscript and then don't send it promptly after they request it, that's a red flag that it's not in the shape it should have been in. Always mention that the agent requested it at the pitch when you transmit it.

And, try to relax and have fun. Convey your passion rather than your nerves. Agents are all (mostly) just people.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the thing: DO bring pages. On paper. Bring your query, bring your first five pages, ten pages, chapter- whatever you're comfortable carrying (without getting neck strain). Don't mention you've got them to anyone, and don't offer them to anyone who doesn't ask, but have them.

One agent who will be at the slam, Janet Reid, has posted numerous times on her blog about this. If she's interested in the sound of something, she'll ask. Be prepared. The thing is not to try to offer pages to anyone who doesn't (which is what conferences are protecting agents from when they post not to bring pages).

I always brought the first chapter and query on paper, and the whole ms on disc in my bag. That worked well for me -- I was offered rep at one conference, and an agent who already had my book was also there. I mentioned it to him and he took the disc upstairs and started reading right there. I didn't anticipate that situation when I brought the disc, I was just ready for whatever might come up. I'd done that a number of other times where the materials never left my bag. You just never know when or where.