Will an Agent be Put Off By this?

Sagittarius

Banned
Reaction score
I have about five queries sent out with sample chapters. Recently, something has been bothering me about my book, and I finally figured out what it is—the very first line of the novel. The former first line did not really encompass the context nor narrative of the story, so I changed it; but if by chance I get a bite from an agent that has read the former line, will they be irked by the fact I changed it? The new line is no doubt better than the former—it is much more engaging and is appropriate concerning the character's personality. Any thoughts on this?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Don't worry about it. It's one line.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
!

Oh, honey. Five queries? And one sentence? You're srsly delightful!

As advised above, don't sweat it. When you get requests, send what you feel best about (assumedly, the version with the new sentence -- I wouldn't even mention the change, I'd trust the agents to ask if they have any questions).

You always want to query what you're sure is your best work, but you're a writer, so that's an evolving challenge. If you've just finished your first-through-gazillionth draft, and feel like you're still working on the book, STOP QUERYING! But, you seem savvier than most writers who need that advice.

Good luck!