Someone Who Write Novels in Spanish, Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Frankly, I didn't know where else to ask, so mods, if I put this in the wrong place feel free to move it. Ok, I've been having a problem with my Spanish-language novels from the first one I wrote back from 2002-2004, it was a 160-chapter story that could've been divided into I don't know how many tomes with the word-count rules and everything, well ok. I only had 2 chapters to write to finish the current book and write the last one in the series, but ok, my point is...

How do I write characters' thoughts in a Spanish-language novel?

I don't remember because I had a Spanish-language novel once that was the continuation of a very-popular Latino soap opera, but I lost it.

Do any of you think you can help me?
Best Regards
Magali.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
You mean, how will the reader know that they're thoughts? In most novels I've read, thoughts seem to be in italics.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I was going to ask. How are thoughts in Spanish novels different from thoughts in English novels?

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
You mean, how will the reader know that they're thoughts? In most novels I've read, thoughts seem to be in italics.

That's what I was going to ask. How are thoughts in Spanish novels different from thoughts in English novels?

I think the same thing, but if I remember correctly, I read it in a Spanish-language novel written up differently. I don't know if there were quotes around it or if they were bolded, I don't remember, but from what I can remember, they were not italicized. I will keep a lookout on this thread hoping that someone here can help me. For instance the dialogue in Spanish novels is also written up differently. Instead of quotation marks around the thing being said, they use em-dashes.

—It's raining today and you guys won't be able to go outside—Todd and Ryan's mother said to them that day.

It's weird. And in French, speech and thoughts in novels are written up differently, too. I believe in French, speech is surrounded by a character resembling this around what's being said. << >>. It's weird, but hey, what can we do?

Last edited:

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, ok.

In portuguese books we do dialogue with em-dashes too.

If this thread goes dead, you can ask for help in the spanish thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.