• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

electronics vs. printed beta submission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
How many send (or receive) beta copies electronically versus printing them out for a reviewer?

What are the pros and cons?

If you sent it out electronically, what format do you use? Do you sent it out a chapter at a time? In a Word document, nicely formatted? As a hunk of raw text?

If you sent it electronically, did the reviewer print it out to review it (maybe mailing marks up back?) Or review it electronically? Say, using MS Words reviewing features?

Any one use Google docs for on-line collaboration?

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I do Word docs when asking for and doing critiques and such. It's easy and the track changes feature is what e-publishers use so it's a format I'm used to.

I've a lot of co-written books and I've done it two ways.

1--via a private journal (like LiveJournal). It's great for different time zone, the co-writer can look at what you've posted when they have a chance without going into email and downloading/opening up documents.
2--was "live online" via SKYPE IM.

In both cases one person kept the "final copy" that we'd edit then submit.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I've done it only by e-mail, preferably in a Word document. Comments are best made, for me anyway, using the comment feature in Word, with short summaries at the end of each chapter. As far as quantities, that depends. I've done it in 3-5000 word blocks, a few chapters at a time, or with sending the whole novel to be reviewed over a month or two. As long as you trust your beta to do the work, that's fine.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a beta (only for a few friends). Although I like editing on hard copy, that gets expensive (both to print and to send back). I prefer to get the whole ms at once (after the author has done the best editing they can), and as a .rtf file. By using the .rtf format it doesn't matter what version of word or some other program either of us is using.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.