PDA

View Full Version : I can haz warm nao?

Mr Flibble
12-02-2010, 08:10 PM
So, where I live we virtually never get snow. My town is nicely nestled between the North and South Downs, meaning they get any snow that's about (not much) and we don't. My kids get excited at a hard frost.

There's a foot of snow outside and it's still snowing.

I did not sign up for this. I'm in the bloody south, it's supposed to be warm! Please tell me how to opt out of 'snow'.

kayleamay
12-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Send it to me.

CheyElizabeth
12-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I feel your pain. I'm in the south too and lately it's been 35-40 degrees in the morning. No snow yet, but it's like torture to me! I absolutely hate the cold, yet everyone I know loves it.

Close your eyes and picture a warm sunny day! And get an electric blanket :)

Komnena
12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
You might try Hawaii or Tahiti.

Bmwhtly
12-02-2010, 08:13 PM
You can send it here if you like, we wouldn't notice the blurdy difference.

It's knee deep on my way to work.

Mr Flibble
12-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Send it to me.

There's too much, the postage would be astronomical. Besides the Post Office shut early (and some guy was punching the door, trying to get in. Who wants a stamp that badly?)

It wouldn't be so bad if the double glazing weren't so knackered, but seeing as it doesn't usually get so cold, we've not bothered (well, no money for it either but...). Plus, I can't teach the dog to shut the sodding back door when he comes back in.

I actually don't mind it too much, if I'm prepared. Except my son keeps trying to put snowballs down the back of my jeans...

tiny
12-02-2010, 08:14 PM
We're in Southern California and I've had to cover my plants these last few nights. I'm okay with the cold but I can't stand to lose my garden. :(

Silent Rob
12-02-2010, 08:15 PM
It was knee deep here, but now it's metamorphosed into ice. Anybody got any skates I could borrow?

JimmyB27
12-02-2010, 08:30 PM
We don't have a foot of snow here, but I do have to cycle to work through what we do have. It's not as nice as when it's sunny.

cray
12-02-2010, 08:31 PM
ya (http://www.riverocean.org.uk/Sustianablefishing/images/skate.jpg)

seun
12-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Bugger all snow around here, just some ice. And ugly people.

Mr Flibble
12-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Snow doesn't stop ugly people.

I took the dog out for a walk. He sank!

seun
12-02-2010, 08:43 PM

Funniest mental picture of the day.

Mr Flibble
12-02-2010, 08:45 PM
You should have seen the look on his face :D

He was bad enough with it coming up to his chest, but he bounded into a drift and came out frosted.

whacko
12-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I could complain about the snow - especially how the UK comes to a shuddering halt whenever there's a bit of white stuff on the ground, how we get told not to leave home without a flask, blanket and a shovel for God's Sake. And that's only if we really must have to leave home. The Government suggest only making necessary journeys. So the country shuts down. Unbelievable.

Still, you won't hear me complaining about the snow. The slum where I live currently looks like something off a Christmas card. Well I think it does. I can't get out the door cause I'm burdened down with flask...

seun
12-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Still, you won't hear me complaining about the snow. The slum where I live currently looks like something off a Christmas card. Well I think it does. I can't get out the door cause I'm burdened down with flask...

A day in the life of the average Glaswegian. :D

*runs away from thread like a soft English ponce*

scarletpeaches
12-02-2010, 10:54 PM
My heart bleeds. Bloody softie English people.

Shakesbear
12-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Snow and flies are two very good reasons for believing that God does not exist - would a Supreme Being really have created two such eminent wastes of space?

And why is the bloody stuff white? Why couldn't it be turquoise or shocking pink? Blech - such a boring colour, white.

jennontheisland
12-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Unless it's hitting -20C and there are 2-3 foot high drifts outside your ground level window, I don't want to hear it.

scarletpeaches
12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
We're hovering around the -13C mark here.

jennontheisland
12-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I've still got you beat. And in January and February, when it's -35 with a wind chill... good gods I can't wait to be done school.

scarletpeaches
12-02-2010, 11:00 PM
The annoying thing is I have to put the central heating on at this time of year which dries the air out. Ergo, more migraines 'cause I'm dehydrated, no matter how much I drink.

jennontheisland
12-02-2010, 11:01 PM
The annoying thing is I have to put the central heating on at this time of year which dries the air out. Ergo, more migraines 'cause I'm dehydrated, no matter how much I drink.
Yeah, the inside of my nose is chapped. Inside. Guess how much fun that is. And chapstick in there does nothing but make me sneeze. Yes, I tried it. Trust me, you would too.

A friend sent me a humidifier last year, but I can't sleep with white noise, so I can't run it at night. But it definitely helps during the day.

bip
12-02-2010, 11:06 PM
How is it sunny and 60 degrees in Boston* while people in southern California are having to cover plants and others in the south are getting snow.

*Ok, not exactly on the same day. Yesterday it was 60 (but raining) and today it is sunny (temps in the 50s). Close enough!

brainstorm77
12-02-2010, 11:39 PM
o`❄.(░)`O...o`❄.(░)`O.❄。`*✲ *。.❄`*✲。❄**。✲O...o`o.(░) `O..✲..o`.o`❄(░)`O...✲`o.(░) `O.❄。`O...o`❄。`*✲.....o`o.(░) `O...o`❄.(░)*。✲*。.❄`*✲。❄。*。`*✲SNOWBALL FIGHT!! KEEP IT GOING :tongue

scarletpeaches
12-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Public transport was cancelled this past weekend and I've been saying to people, "I bet the Canadians and Russians are laughing at us."

brainstorm77
12-02-2010, 11:44 PM
And where I live which is usually blizzard territory, we have nothing.

whacko
12-02-2010, 11:48 PM
A day in the life of the average Glaswegian. :D

*runs away from thread like a soft English ponce*

My hip flask makes me look like I've got mumps.:D

Ergo, more migraines 'cause I'm dehydrated, no matter how much I drink.

You're either not drinking enough, or it's a hangover.:D

My idea of central heating is shutting the windows.

Which is why I'm sitting like Nanook of the North. I didn't mind the chill when I was a smoker. But since I'm not warming my paws with Marlboros anymore, I've invested in scented candles.

So if it gets really cold, I might even light them!

Zelenka
12-03-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm working night shift at the moment (on a programme, imaginatively titled 'The Nightshift') and so have to head out to work at about 9pm and come home about 5am, and we've been terrified the last couple of days because the taxis just haven't been picking anyone up or answering orders. I ended up the other night having to walk through the blizzard at 5.30am for an hour just to get home.

I mean, this is bloody Scotland, this happens every year, and yet they can't get gritters onto the road in one of its biggest cities? /rant.

Anyway, I now have to get ready to go out to work, in the snow, and hopefully can get a cab...

Mr Flibble
12-03-2010, 12:49 AM
My heart bleeds. Bloody softie English people.

But..but...but I'm not used to it! It's always warm(ish) down here. My roses were in bloom last Christmas Day FFS! It shouldn't be allowed, and I'm complaining to my MP.

I'd probably be better if there wasn't a gap between front door and frame you can see daylight through.

Anyway, I now know why you lot eat deep fried Mars bars. It to build a layer of blubber to keep out the cold. Amiright?

scarletpeaches
12-03-2010, 01:05 AM
I have never allowed anything as disgusting as a deep-fried mars bar to pass my lips.

I'm more of a 'stay drunk to keep the cold out' gal.

Cliff Face
12-03-2010, 02:56 AM
*pokes head in as the lonely and much-hated sole Australian entering summer in this thread*

*dodges first snowball, gets smacked in nose by second one*

*leaves*

whimsical rabbit
12-03-2010, 03:37 AM
I did not sign up for this. I'm in the bloody south, it's supposed to be warm! Please tell me how to opt out of 'snow'.

Be nice to me Sparkly, and I'll take you with me to Greece, which is unusually hot for this time of the year. It's been 24 Celsius in Athens over the weekend, while it was supposed to be ten or something.

That is, if I'm able to leave the West Midlands for the Xmas break. Snow and ridiculous ticket prices don't point towards that option at the mo.

PS. @ peaches: You still have Gerard there. My heart is melting like yesterday's snow. :D

Stlight
12-03-2010, 08:40 AM
IdiotsRus - try stuffing the door edges with newspaper. If it's the door the dog uses hang a blanket over the outside, not the inside, he'll rip the blanket down opening the door. It may take a couple of times for him to believe he can go in around the blanket. See note to SP.

SP - If your pharmacist has one you might buy a vaperizor, the type that you put medicine in, fill it with water and it makes steam. Don't bother with the medicine, just fill it and plug it in. The steam will add to the humidity - we find it prevents dry eyes and dry nose - and it will make the room warmer so you won't use as much heat. We also found it helps with headache and mirgraine prevention, not always, but some.

We got the kind that turns itself off when it runs out of water so it can be used while we're asleep. These, and this is coming from me so you know it must be staggeringly so, are fairly cheap.

seun
12-03-2010, 12:51 PM
My idea of central heating is shutting the windows.

Proof, if it's needed, that Scottish people really are hard.

Priene
12-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Proof, if it's needed, that Scottish people really are hard.

When I lived in Scotland, I had a flat with a window that didn't even shut.

dpaterso
12-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Bloody cold out there today.

The UK covered in snow from BBC News website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11901718

-Derek

JimmyB27
12-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I never bother with the heating either.
I had a flatmate from Italy when I lived in Dublin. We didn't have central heating, just those electric bar heaters, and she used to have them on all the time. All of them. Drove me batty. Firstly, I was way too hot - seriously, couple of rocks in the middle of the room and we'd have had a sauna. More importantly though, at the end of the month I got a whacking great bill for my discomfort. Grr.

Silent Rob
12-03-2010, 03:22 PM
My wife got the train down from Newcastle to Cambridge yesterday for a conference. No snow in Cambridge. She turned up this morning and the other people who'd made it had come from Canada, Sweden and Finland.

The people who hadn't been able to get there? They were all from London.

Mr Flibble
12-03-2010, 03:40 PM
When I lived in Scotland, I had a flat with a window that didn't even shut.

I've got a window in my bedroom that if I go too near it, it falls open.

Hmm. Maybe I'll have to send he Old Man down to King's Cross to earn a bit to pay for some new double glazing. Only I can't see it ending well tbh.

aruna
12-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I hate winter. I always appreciated the fact that England don't do winters! I'm on the South Downs and it has always been mild here. For the last two days we've been almost knee deep in snow, just like last January! My neihbours downstairs wanted to fly to the Isle of Man on Wednesday but Gatwick was closed for two days!

OK, I get that in a country that doesn't do winters they don't have heavy equipment. I get it. But it's the little things that bother me, things thay should be better organised, for isntance the clearing of pavements. Last year I fell three times on slipper pavements, and I see old ladies shuffling along on the ice. The really need to introduce a law like in Germany and other countries, that everyonen clears the snow in front of their homes, and keeps it clear!

I do love the look of first snow, though. It is so silent and beautiful. Walking into Eastbourne yesterday the busy manin street was white and silent -- lovely. And last night, walking the dog, it was like a Christmas card. I do hate cold, but in my home it is nice and warm with double glazing that actually works.

My dog adores snow. He leaps and bounds about in it, rolls and digs and loves it. He's part husky so he's in his element!

jilly61
12-03-2010, 04:23 PM
The pipes have frozen up again and the boilers not working. No central heating again. It was only fixed on Tuesday. What's the point of central heating that packs in when it gets cold?

seun
12-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Everything else apart from the central heating is going wrong in my house at the moment. The way it's going, it wouldn't surprise me to come home and discover the boiler has exploded.

Silent Rob
12-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Is it a George Wimpey house? Because that sounds about right.

JimmyB27
12-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Doesn't he make burgers?

Priene
12-03-2010, 05:51 PM
The pipes have frozen up again
and the boilers not working.
No central heating again.
It was only fixed on Tuesday.
What's the point of central heating
that packs in when it gets cold?

Everything else apart
from the central heating is going wrong
in my house at the moment.
The way it's going, it wouldn't surprise me
to come home and discover
the boiler has exploded.

You two should form a blues combo.

seun
12-03-2010, 05:53 PM
You two should form a blues combo.

I'm not old. Or black. And I don't have a porch to sit on. Or a geetar for that matter.

seun
12-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Is it a George Wimpey house? Because that sounds about right.

Who's George Wimpey? Do I need to duff him up?

jilly61
12-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm not old. Or black. And I don't have a porch to sit on. Or a geetar for that matter.

I've got the geetar, just can't play it. Fail on all other counts though.

seun
12-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Bloody cold out there today.

I would love to see a weather forecaster say that on the telly.

I've got the geetar, just can't play it. Fail on all other counts though.

Where can we find an old black man?

jilly61
12-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Where can we find an old black man?

Don't you have one comes in your library? (That sounds wrong somehow)

Silent Rob
12-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Doesn't he make burgers?

Who's George Wimpey? Do I need to duff him up?

Having lived in two George Wimpey houses, I can honestly say that I would never ever buy a burger from him. Not even if he offered to sell my old burger for me and only take a 5% deposit for the new one.

It doesn't really matter who he is. Just duff him up good and proper, like.

This reminds me of a headline from the Onion: Affluent white man enjoys, causes the blues

Mr Flibble
12-03-2010, 06:22 PM
I work in a local convenience shop - Wednesday evening it looked like a plague of locusts had been through. Yesterday was worse. Gods know what I'll find when I get there tonight. At least the little snotbags shouldn't be hanging around the corner saying 'Buy us some fags/booze mate, will ya?' Some consolation for the cold.

Although the other day was best, I was walking to work in my uniform and one of them asked me to buy him some fags lol. I managed to scare them all off by lying that we had a CCTV camera trained on them, linked to the police station hehehehe. Dear gods, they don't make tearaways like they used to.

jilly61
12-03-2010, 06:28 PM
We went out to the local pub for a meal last night. We were the only customers and the chef had gone home. Nothing to eat but crisps and nuts. Ended up getting a takeaway on the way back. At least the local chinese was open.

JimmyB27
12-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't mind the cold, as I'm lucky enough to be indoors and it's just a matter of layers of clothing, but the snow leaves me panicking. Fine, I'm a southern softie - but seriously, if your car is stuck at the top of a slope; the narrow alley it then needs to go through to get to the iced-up "main" road will *never* be gritted, the county has run out of grit, and we only have enough grit ourselves to keep a path on the driveway clear to walk down; the weekly grocery shop is well overdue, and the only shop for several roads is a small newsagent's which is empty because everybody else is also relying on it for basic supplies, then what exactly are you supposed to do? Really, I'm asking.
Walk? Or bike? Like some of us have to, not having a car at all, be it cold or hot out. :tongue

seun
12-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Don't you have one comes in your library? (That sounds wrong somehow)

I'll go and check. Wait a minute.

seun
12-03-2010, 07:37 PM
No old black men. Just a few sleeping tramps, some chavs and a few Polish blokes.

jilly61
12-03-2010, 07:45 PM
No old black men. Just a few sleeping tramps, some chavs and a few Polish blokes.

Ah well... back to reality. Guess the musical venture will have to stay on hold.

bettielee
12-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Although the other day was best, I was walking to work in my uniform and one of them asked me to buy him some fags lol. I managed to scare them all off by lying that we had a CCTV camera trained on them, linked to the police station hehehehe. Dear gods, they don't make tearaways like they used to.

...didn't they do that in an episode of Spooks?!

and omg it is farking cold here, too! AT home, I wear sweats, t-shirt, hoody, big socks and a blankie from my bed. Then I come to work... and no heat there, either!

Damn you, cold front! Damn you marine layer!

waylander
12-04-2010, 01:59 AM
*pokes head in as the lonely and much-hated sole Australian entering summer in this thread*

*dodges first snowball, gets smacked in nose by second one*

*leaves*

Would you prefer to talk about the cricket?

Xelebes
12-04-2010, 02:08 AM
Unless it's hitting -20C and there are 2-3 foot high drifts outside your ground level window, I don't want to hear it.

Talk to me when it gets to -40.

Kyla Laufreyson
12-04-2010, 02:20 AM
I live in northern Ohio (like I can get to Michigan in five minutes) and a few days ago I saw a Florida license plate. My response was to say, "What the heck are you doing here?" My friend said they probably want to see snow.

You know something? No one wants to see snow. They just think they do.

truelyana
12-04-2010, 02:40 AM
I know how you feel! It's been like that since early morning of Tuesday here in Surrey, and looks like more on it's way tonight!

backslashbaby
12-04-2010, 03:06 AM
Walk? Or bike? Like some of us have to, not having a car at all, be it cold or hot out. :tongue

:ROFL: More like ice-skate the big hills, maybe. In the South, our snow is rarely fluffy, except at very first. Snow is easy to get around in! But hearing 'bike' in relation to what we get is pretty funny :D Even walking is funny, actually :) Literally!

Snow doesn't stop ugly people.

My little dog is hilarious on our big snows. He's at the right weight that he usually stays on top of the ice layer, but every now and then he punches through to the depths below. It's unpredictable, and that drives him crazy :D Especially when the cat stays on top all the time, no problem :)

scarletpeaches
12-04-2010, 03:12 AM
The snow's stopped up here. However, there's no sign of what's already fallen melting away, so it's stil fridging outside (to use a Scottishism) and icy, where the previous snowfall has been tramped down by foot-traffic.

Shakesbear
12-04-2010, 04:01 AM
Snowed last night. But the roads were gritted. Which is no consolation as sleet and other nasties are predicted for early morning, but as it is going to be something like -6 the stuff will hit the ground and freeze.

I want to hibernate.

scarletpeaches
12-04-2010, 04:04 AM
I've done that for the past two days. Tomorrow I'll need to venture out of the house, which necessitates wearing something other than blue pyjamas covered in little cartoon monkeys, and a scraped-back ponytail.

JimmyB27
12-04-2010, 04:21 AM
I want to hibernate.

I've done that for the past two days.

And it's the southerners who are pansies, huh? Hands up everyone else who cycles four miles to work through the snow?

scarletpeaches
12-04-2010, 04:25 AM
Could you do it WITH A MIGRAINE, though?

whacko
12-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Hands up everyone else who cycles four miles to work through the snow?

A mere four miles?:D

BardSkye
12-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Public transport was cancelled this past weekend and I've been saying to people, "I bet the Canadians and Russians are laughing at us."

Yep.

It was -41 in the wind here a week or so ago. Now it's up to a balmy -10 or so.

Happiness is relative.

MaryMumsy
12-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Is now the time to mention it was 70 some odd degrees (F) here today? And that I used the A/C in my car?

MM

aruna
12-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Snow has melted! YAY!
Condolences and hugs to all those without central heating. Dat's de worts ting.

Mr Flibble
12-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Am trying to persuade son that throwing things at four foot icicle is not a good idea. He, of course, wants it to hit his sister.

scarletpeaches
12-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Snow has melted! YAY!
Condolences and hugs to all those without central heating. Dat's de worts ting.I'm thinking of switching mine off. Dealing with the cold with a simple bar heater would be better than drying out the air and dealing with another migraine, methinks.

Shakesbear
12-04-2010, 06:40 PM
And it's the southerners who are pansies, huh? Hands up everyone else who cycles four miles to work through the snow?

So they put their hands up, fall off their bikes and either get squished by other road users or they succumb to the cold! Nice one Jimmy!:tongue

Priene
12-04-2010, 07:13 PM
So they put their hands up, fall off their bikes and either get squished by other road users or they succumb to the cold! Nice one Jimmy!:tongue

I saw a bloke fall off his bike today in Norwich as he pedaled across the slush. Not at all funny.

seun
12-04-2010, 08:12 PM
I don't have to go outside until Monday. :hooray:

scarletpeaches
12-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Should give you time to put your head on the right way up, then. Less chance of frostbite on that glowing pate of yours.

backslashbaby
12-05-2010, 03:11 AM
We got snow! Everything is quite white :) That's unusual before January here.

And it's the soft, pretty kind that you can get around in!! Yay! Here's hoping it either gets colder or much warmer tomorrow, cos I'll be pissed if everything is all ice and impossible this early in the year. And when folks are so busy with the holidays on top of regular stuff.

BeatrixKiddo
12-05-2010, 07:01 AM
So, where I live we virtually never get snow. My town is nicely nestled between the North and South Downs, meaning they get any snow that's about (not much) and we don't. My kids get excited at a hard frost.

There's a foot of snow outside and it's still snowing.

We just got our first big snowstorm of the season late last night. I grew up in Georgia and I gotta say, I miss the heat down there. I hate the winters up here. Enjoy it while ya can y'all.

Crazy global warming.

whacko
12-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Enjoy it while ya can y'all.

If you're idea of enjoyment is getting stuck behind some idiot doing 15mph on a clear road, because his car is full of enough stuff to support a 6 month stay in Antartica, then yes, I'm loving it.:D

seun
12-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Should give you time to put your head on the right way up, then. Less chance of frostbite on that glowing pate of yours.

I've had a trim. Kept getting soup stuck to it.

scarletpeaches
12-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Use a straw, Bronson.

seun
12-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Use a straw, Bronson.

Yeah, that's a sexy look. Bald beardo has to use a straw to eat. :D

Mr Flibble
12-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Okay now this is taking the bloody pee. It started snowing again half an hour ago. There's already an inch, with another 11 inches due. *insert smutty joke re 12 inches*

Memo to weather:

This is Sussex FFS! Please go away

Yours

Me

Apparently it's the worst snow in the area for forty years - no wonder everyone's having a turn!

Priene
12-17-2010, 07:10 PM
It's colder than a dog's arse around here*. Lorries have been jackknifing around the county in an attempt to keep the media away from Julian Assange.

* Memo to self: make sure dogs actually have cold posteriors

firedrake
12-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Had an inch last night.

Then it snowed.

Whoops.

:D

dpaterso
12-17-2010, 07:25 PM
It's missed us (west coast lowland Scotland) this time -- so far. Rest of the country doesn't seem so fortunate.

Heavy snow and ice cause disruption across the UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12015145

-Derek

Shakesbear
12-17-2010, 07:26 PM
It's colder than a dog's arse around here*. Lorries have been jackknifing around the county in an attempt to keep the media away from Julian Assange.

* Memo to self: make sure dogs actually have cold posteriors

LOL! How to confuse the media - put up in a county that has two halls with the same name. See here:
http://www.ellingham-hall.co.uk/ellingham-hall.com/index.html

kayleamay
12-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Chance of snow tomorrow morning which will melt off by mid-afternoon. I will be sleeping and miss all of it.

I want snow for Christmas. And none of this "just a dusting" business. I want snowman worthy snow and icicles dangling from my evergreens.

aruna
12-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Okay now this is taking the bloody pee. It started snowing again half an hour ago. There's already an inch, with another 11 inches due. *insert smutty joke re 12 inches*

Memo to weather:

This is Sussex FFS! Please go away
!
Same here!It was a fine blue morning, then about an hour ago my son called me into the kitchen. Look out there! he said. And it was a snowstorm.
Go away, please!

Priene
12-17-2010, 08:29 PM
LOL! How to confuse the media - put up in a county that has two halls with the same name. See here:
http://www.ellingham-hall.co.uk/ellingham-hall.com/index.html

The way the media describes it, you'd think we were living up the Limpopo. Apparently you can only reach Ellingham Hall by taking a taxi from Diss railway station. And if that breaks down, the locals erect a huge wicker statue and burn you alive.

Mr Flibble
12-17-2010, 08:51 PM
, the locals erect a huge wicker statue and burn you alive.

You mean that's not true? I am sorely, sorely disappointed in you Priene. All my illusions of you shattered....You could at least make an effort with a pitchfork and a scythe or something.

Shakesbear
12-17-2010, 10:44 PM
The way the media describes it, you'd think we were living up the Limpopo. Apparently you can only reach Ellingham Hall by taking a taxi from Diss railway station. And if that breaks down, the locals erect a huge wicker statue and burn you alive.

Ellingham is one of those strange places that has lots of roads that lead to it but none that lead from it. I think there is a bus that drives past t'hall. Does not stop, just keeps on going.

Eudoxia
12-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Its been really warm around here lately. Seems more like Spring than Winter. Yesterday was probably the only cold rainy day that's happened in a while. I hope this good fortune of warm weather lasts for a little bit longer.

mirandashell
12-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry to derail but..... Peaches, where did you get that avatar?

Corrrrrrrrrr......

Carry on.

firedrake
12-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Sorry to derail but..... Peaches, where did you get that avatar?

Corrrrrrrrrr......

Carry on.

I sent it to her. :D

waylander
12-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Damn cold here with snow frozen on untreated roads. Had a very slidey time getting home from work - not fun

waylander
12-18-2010, 04:06 PM
This is nuts. 4 inches of snow so far today and it is still coming down

firedrake
12-18-2010, 04:15 PM
It's stopped here for the moment. I think we've had a couple of inches. The gritter didn't come through until 9-ish. Given where we live (small village in E.Wilts), I guess we're lucky that it came at all.

After 8 years of no snow (in AZ), it's nice to see. I took this picture when I walked to the village Co-op this morning.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/geeandtee/Snow181210008.jpg

mirandashell
12-18-2010, 11:11 PM
A couple of inches? We've had nearly a foot here! Ridikulus!