Trouble Picking Christmas Gifts?

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I am. :)

I've got two ten-ish boys who are into video games.... and I'm looking for something that's not-another-video-game.

Any ideas?

Also, the helicopter pilot who drinks wine and travels... and I don't know much beyond that. He's FUNNY as anything, but I'm stuck as he has every wine accessory I've ever come across.

And my mom. She's always hard to shop for. Someone help me out. Last year, I got her a robe and she complained that she really wanted a Snuggie. I try to make her stuff, and she does that "Oohh." Like "I was really wanting a diamond tennis bracelet."

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I get everyone in the world the same thing

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The two boys who are into video games could stand to benefit from the following.

Make a note of what genre video games they play the most often. Find that genre in your DVD store. Buy the most expensive-to-make movie or TV show you can find in that genre, but only if you've actually heard of that show/movie. Kiddies don't want a no-name brand.

Trust me. A good movie or TV show will last longer than any video game, long-run-wise. (Usually.) Once you've completed a video game (or given up when it got hard) a few times, your hands remember how to do all the cool things, and pretty soon you're looking for the next high. If you can physically remember doing those things, doing them again a year later doesn't seem as interesting.

But for a movie - they do cooler things with graphics than you typically see in the you-controlling-it part of the video game. And because you're not physically causing those interactions, it's easier to go back to that DVD a year later and love it just as much as the first time.

Or maybe I'm full of crap, and am just a secret DVD agent intent on converting gamers to a more inert state for my Master Plan TM...

But yes, that was my first thought on the matter.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
10-year old boys should be easy. Mine, at that age, loved anything that fired projectiles, and had the word "NERF" on the box.

Last year all four of my kids got NERF swords, they were the most used gifts they got. My youngest is a girl, and they range in age from 7-18. They still beat the snot out of each other with them, and the swords are starting to fall apart.:roll:

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The helicopter pilot who travels - I'd look into whether he has a decent camera/video camera yet (if you're planning on spending that much on him...). My sister is a big wine drinker / traveller, and when she travels she always includes enough money in her savings to go on a bender, so I'd steer away from buying him booze, but what she always does is take loads of pictures.

If the pilot has a computer, definitely go with a digital camera/video camera. If no computer, then perhaps an old-style camera that was really famous for its day and age (but not the collector's items unless you have a spare $10,000 !).

Was I any help?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Your mum - I need to know more about what she likes to do to be any help.

The only thing I can currently think of is a home-made greeting card that says, "You're lucky I got you even this, so be thankful," with a $50 note inside.

*shrug*

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
10-year old boys should be easy. Mine, at that age, loved anything that fired projectiles, and had the word "NERF" on the box.

Last year all four of my kids got NERF swords, they were the most used gifts they got. My youngest is a girl, and they range in age from 7-18. They still beat the snot out of each other with them, and the swords are starting to fall apart.:roll:

We think a-like! :)

We got all that last year.

I've got many bruises from the swords. :)

I'm wondering about science kids, like volcanoes and stuff, but they didn't play with the tin can robot I got one of them a few months ago.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
All my shopping is done.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Hobby Lobby has some really cool science kits for kids.
Make your own superballs.
The Mentos and coke experiment.
Triops. (Like sea monkeys, only much bigger, and cannibalistic :D)
Baking soda submarine.
I think there are kits to make slime and putty, too.

Or check the bookstore, and get "Oh Yuck! The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty" . That's always a hit.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0761107711/?tag=absowrit-20

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Hobby Lobby has some really cool science kits for kids.
Make your own superballs.
The Mentos and coke experiment.
Triops. (Like sea monkeys, only much bigger, and cannibalistic :D)
Baking soda submarine.
I think there are kits to make slime and putty, too.

Or check the bookstore, and get "Oh Yuck! The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty" . That's always a hit.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0761107711/?tag=absowrit-20

Hahah. :)

I saw that book and one called "The Encyclopedia of Immaturity".

That might work. :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My ex MIL (common law) ws so awful that I finally started donating to great causes and giving her the 'donation was made in your name' cards they give you. I felt sooo much better :) She was still awful, but she was always awful, seriously.

My brother has made it some kind of a test over the years, and I find that very frustrating. I'll never pass one of his tests. I got him a cool little something and called it a day. I'm not spending much on nutty-family party games ;) I enjoy seeing him, anyway :)