PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Latin word that means...

erin_michelle
12-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm trying to find/make-up a Latin word that would roughly translate to "city of beauty." Obviously it will be used as the name of city in another world (or dimension). Using my puny translation skills--and a Latin dictionary--I found "pulcritudo" means "beauty" and "civitas" for "city/citizen of."

Any way to combine the two, or can someone with better Latin skills give me a better word (especially if my translations are totally off)? Thanks in advance!

Drachen Jager
12-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Speciosam is beautiful city.

translate.google.com is the best resource I've found for online translation.

OneWriter
12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
beauty = pulchritudo (third delension)
city = urbs (also third declension)

city of beauty = urbs pulchritudinis
beautiful city = urbs pulchra

Maryn
12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I can't coin a word that doesn't sound like gargling, but your translation skills seem adequate.

Does the adjective have to be beautfil? You might seek words for pleasing, harmonious, serene, etc. to see if there isn't one that blends better with civitas.

My Latin is rusty (use it or lose it, right?) but I think you'll want the nominative form (which you'd use as the subject of a sentence) as the name of a city. That would be civis, if memory serves, ending up with names like Pulchricivis or Harmonicivis (or whatever the Latin word is).

Maryn, who studied with the actual Romans, she's so old

OneWriter
12-01-2010, 10:06 PM
civis actually means citizen, and civitas means citizenship; urbs is the most appropriate for city.

OW, who studied Latin in high school because she grew up in the Roman Empire ... well, a few centuries later... :D

Kaiser-Kun
12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Niceplacium.

scarletpeaches
12-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Cita della Nomnomnom.

IceCreamEmpress
12-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Speciosam is beautiful city.

I think you left something out? Speciosam is the feminine oblique of "speciosus" or "beautiful". Urbs Speciosa would mean "beautiful city".

Another word for "beautiful" that sounds less ugly (to the English-speaking ear) than "pulcher" is "formosa." Urbs Formosa?

I myself would just go for "Belleville" as a name for a fictional beautiful city. Or Beaumont. Or Belcaster.

Torgo
12-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Just asking: why would a city in another world have a Latin name - was it settled by displaced Romans?

You could go Greek: my Greek is practically nonexistent but I know polis, city, and kalli, beautiful... Kallipolis?

Hey. hang on, sounds like Gallipoli! Just checked and Wikipedia confirms that's precisely where the name comes from! I love it when a plan comes together. Also, you learn something new every day.

BTW Formosa was the old name for Taiwan (Portugal called it the Beautiful Island.)

erin_michelle
12-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks everyone who answered! I did start off with Google translate, but I've learned not to trust everything it kicks back. I thought I'd better ask actual people instead of robots. :) But these suggestions are really helpful.

I myself would just go for "Belleville" as a name for a fictional beautiful city. Or Beaumont. Or Belcaster.

I was leaning towards taking a word that means "beautiful" and combining it with something to make it sound like a city name. Just have to make sure it doesn't sound like "Bellevue."

WalkingContradiction
12-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Kallipolis is only recommendable if you want to go all philosophical :) Plato used it in 'The Republic' as an example of the 'perfect city', ruled by philosopher kings.

But Greek would be cool. 'aglaia' means 'beauty' in Greek I think. Sounds much nicer than 'pulcher/pulchritudo' and might be easier to combine into a newly coined word somehow..

Edit: Of course I'm referring to ancient Greek.

OneWriter
12-02-2010, 12:34 AM
you guys are all against pulchritudo 'cause you can't roll your R's!!

( jokin' ;) )

WalkingContradiction
12-02-2010, 12:38 AM

( jokin' ;) )

Hahaha I just imagined it with an American accent, sounds hilarious! Reminds me of Inglorious Basterd's, where Brad Pitt tries to talk Italian.

scarletpeaches
12-02-2010, 12:39 AM
What's wrong with Sexytown?

erin_michelle
12-02-2010, 12:42 AM

Sadly, I cannot roll my "R's" for the life of me. So I guess that leaves using "pulchritudo" out--unless I have someone from Europe with me at all times who can roll their "R's."

scarletpeaches
12-02-2010, 12:44 AM
I regularly roll my Rs.

WalkingContradiction
12-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Waiter at Pirate restaurant:

ARrrrrrrr you ready to order?

scarletpeaches
12-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Taggart: Naeb'dy move; therrre's been a murrrderrr.

erin_michelle
12-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Aaaaaand now my search for a Latin word has turned into a pirate talk thread. (As one naturally anticipates, of course.) ;)

scarletpeaches
12-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Taggart's a Glaswegian detective I'll have you know! Pirates indeed.

"Yarr, matey, Oi be charging ye with grrrievous bodily harrrm."

Rufus Coppertop
12-02-2010, 04:52 AM
Aaaaaand now my search for a Latin word has turned into a pirate talk thread. (As one naturally anticipates, of course.) ;)

Aaaarh! Tenete firmum corditates mea!

Arietandum celeritatem tibi do! Aaaaaarh!

"Fragmenti octo. Fragmenti octo," dixit psittacus.

Rufus Coppertop
12-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Dulcis Oppidum = sweet town.

Dulcis Urbs = sweet city

Idoneus Pagus = adequate village

OneWriter
12-02-2010, 07:42 AM
I regularly roll my Rs.

You Scottish? :)

OneWriter
12-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Aaaarh! Tenete firmum corditates mea!

Arietandum celeritatem tibi do! Aaaaaarh!

"Fragmenti octo. Fragmenti octo," dixit psittacus.

You're a genius. :)

thothguard51
12-02-2010, 07:49 AM
I regularly roll my Rs.

I thought you only rolled drunks...