PDA

View Full Version : Moviestar looks

Kristiina
12-01-2010, 09:37 AM
I have just recently watched several late 70's to early 80's movies, and that reminded me of something I remember thinking of during those years: does anybody here know if anyone has ever tried to analyze why the female stars of those years often tended to be rather ordinary looking, at least when compared to what came before and after? Back then the movies shown in tv were usually at least over ten years old, so when I started to go to movies with my friends I was much more familiar with the ones made during the 40's, 50's and very early 60's than with recently made stuff (yes, I was a teen during the 70's), and there was a definite contrast with how the leading ladies had mostly looked in the earlier fare.

For example think about these three: Conan the Barbarian, Superman and the first Star Wars movies. Sandahl Bergman had a stunning athletic figure but was somewhat horse faced, the actress playing 'the princess' could have been half of the girls I saw at the university daily, the same could be said of Margot Kidder as Lois Lane, and while Carrie Fisher was definitely pretty compare her to Natalie Portman. They were all just ordinarily pretty, like half of the women and girls I knew in school or saw on the streets. Most of the earlier era leading ladies had been extraordinarily good looking, as are most of the women you see in movies today.

While really ugly people have never had much of a chance for leading roles in movies, ordinary looking men have always had a much bigger chance than ordinary just sort of pretty women, except, it seems, for that period. The main thing I have sometimes wondered is whether that was a conscious trend among the film makers or if not, why did it happen?

regdog
12-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Too many of the "stars" of today received their looks because of plastic surgery. Back in the 70's and 80's actors and actresses actually looked like real people. Look at John Hughes movies, the actors looked like kids we went to school with. Now the actors playing high schoolers look like the stepped out of GQ and Playboy. Not real

Maryn
12-03-2010, 05:47 PM
It seems pretty apparent to me that today's actresses often get a chance to show what they can do only because of their physical beauty. (So do some actors, of course, but it's more prevalent with the women.) You don't get those small early roles because someone in casting saw you blow the audience away in regional theatre or wow producers at your audition, but because your face is breathtaking and you wear a size two. Even the role of the 'ugly' friend often goes to someone who's an eight on a ten-scale.

Of course, there are very few decent roles for women who dared age--and lots of roles for their male counterparts.

Maryn, who dared age

Jcomp
12-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Well, I think it's a bit unfair to compare. It was a very different era in the 60's and 70's. It was the birth of "New Hollywood." Come the 80's they were already moving toward caring more about looks. If you look back a bit earlier and take movies from the 40's and 50's, you see almost exclusively gorgeous women in starring roles.

I love Marilyn Monroe and Lord knows she had some work done.

And I don't want to get into the cruelty of breaking down Hollywood actresses on looks and singling out ones that are considered less attractive, but there are definitely leading, money-making actresses out there that are, gently speaking, not considered knockouts.

maggi90w1
12-03-2010, 06:14 PM
It seems pretty apparent to me that today's actresses often get a chance to show what they can do only because of their physical beauty
I hate that. I can hardly tell them apart any more (same goes for men, although there seems to be a higher tolerance for men because they can still be cast as "character actors"). I wish there were more interesting looking actresses in popular TV shows and movies. I have trouble relating to these picture-perfect cookie-cutter dolls.

maestrowork
12-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Too many of the "stars" of today received their looks because of plastic surgery. Back in the 70's and 80's actors and actresses actually looked like real people. Look at John Hughes movies, the actors looked like kids we went to school with. Now the actors playing high schoolers look like the stepped out of GQ and Playboy. Not real

Movie stars have been having plastic surgeries since... movies were invented. JComp mentioned Marilyn Monroe. Even male stars had work done. Don't fool yourself to think it's the latest trend.

Maryn
12-04-2010, 11:47 PM
So, Ray-Ray, what have you had lifted and/or tightened?

Maryn, ducking

regdog
12-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Movie stars have been having plastic surgeries since... movies were invented. JComp mentioned Marilyn Monroe. Even male stars had work done. Don't fool yourself to think it's the latest trend.

True, true, but today it seems unless a person has been overhauled they're not on the screen. An awful lot of today's "starlets" look plastic. Older actors and actresses have aged backwards, getting younger looking every year. Actors and actresses are getting more fake looking every day.

maestrowork
12-04-2010, 11:55 PM
True, true, but today it seems unless a person has been overhauled they're not on the screen. An awful lot of today's "starlets" look plastic. Older actors and actresses have aged backwards, getting younger looking every year. Actors and actresses are getting more fake looking every day.

Some may be, but it sounds more like a generalization. I can name many actors and actresses who have no work done, or very subtle surgeries that did not make them look plastic. For example, George Clooney still looks very natural, even though he did have a few nips and tucks. But then there are stars who achieve the "star" looks without having plastic surgeries at all.

As far as "starlets" are concerned. I don't really care about them. But to say you've got to have that look to be "movie star" is a hyperbole.

maestrowork
12-04-2010, 11:56 PM
So, Ray-Ray, what have you had lifted and/or tightened?

Maryn, ducking

Not yet, but people don't believe me because I look young for my age. :) In 10 years though, I want to have my face completely restructured. :-D

Wayne K
12-04-2010, 11:57 PM
I thought this thread was about me :(

Wayne K
12-04-2010, 11:59 PM
I skipped plastic surgery and went with "Dead sexy anyway" as I got old.

Carry on

maestrowork
12-04-2010, 11:59 PM
I thought this thread was about me :(

Absolutely. John Malkovich has nothing on you, Wayne.

Wayne K
12-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Except his performance in Death of a Salesman