Typical synopsis word count?

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Most info I can find about synopses is vague when it comes to length, referring to page counts instead of word counts. I presume this is an artifact of the pre-word processor era.

Does anyone have some figures on the typical word count for a synopsis, when synopsis length isn't specified?

Let's use a 100,000-word thriller as an example. What should one aim for?

(Obviously the zen answer is "as short as you can make it while getting the main plot arc and characters across," but please, humor me with numbers.)

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Depends. Some people want a very short synopsis, some people want longer. I would say a good length is under 500 words (it's about a 2 page synopsis). Just figure 250 words per page and you're fine.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Ryan: the problem is that no one seems to really agree on page count length, either. So even at 250 words per page, some folks say 1-2 pages, some say up to 5, some 10...it's all over the place.

Thanks though.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember word count limits on synopses, just page counts. I cobbled together a two-pager and a four-pager and that took care of all the various requests I received.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the purpose. For a query, I'd say stay under 500 words, unless asked to do a longer one. As a general rule for all things query related, shorter is better. Really though, it won't be a huge deal. If they're not specific about it, it probably wouldn't warrant a rejection solely for being a length they didn't want.

Good luck!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the purpose. For a query, I'd say stay under 500 words, unless asked to do a longer one. As a general rule for all things query related, shorter is better. Really though, it won't be a huge deal. If they're not specific about it, it probably wouldn't warrant a rejection solely for being a length they didn't want.

Good luck!

Seconding 'depends on the purpose.'

I'm writing a synopsis for my 100,000 crime novel, for the CWA Debut Dagger. The guidelines state 500 - 1000 words. That will probably be too long for subbing to agents, and will require an edit.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone once told me to have several at the ready: a 1000-word synopsis, a two pager (double spaced which is about 500), a one-paragraph synopsis (a-la your 30 second pitch), and a one sentence synopsis. Unless specified, either the 500 or 1000 worder will work, but she did say to make sure that it's interesting without being kitschy, yet covers all the major plot-lines without getting bogged down in secondary details.

Ironically, I feel the synopsis was much harder to write than the query or the WIP itself.

Reaction score
Depends. Some people want a very short synopsis, some people want longer. I would say a good length is under 500 words (it's about a 2 page synopsis). Just figure 250 words per page and you're fine.
That's if you double-space it and synopses don't need to be double-spaced.

One publisher asked for 2-3 pages and I formatted it the same as their manuscript guidelines - double-spaced.

Another publisher wanted no more than two pages, so I single-spaced it. Et voila - same synopsis, different page counts.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
That's if you double-space it and synopses don't need to be double-spaced.

One publisher asked for 2-3 pages and I formatted it the same as their manuscript guidelines - double-spaced.

Another publisher wanted no more than two pages, so I single-spaced it. Et voila - same synopsis, different page counts.

All of my research, including reading agent blogs, says that synopsis do have to be double spaced. Queries do not.

Reaction score
And all of my research says differently. The whole point of double-spacing is for editorial mark-ups. Synopses and queries aren't edited.

I've submitted single-spaced synopses and no-one has ever quibbled it. I know people who sell books on the back of single-spaced synopses.

There's absolutely no reason to double-space a synopsis other than it's more aesthetically pleasing for it to look the same as your manuscript.

rmgil04

In re-write limbo!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersinprogresswip.blogspot.com
So, in summary, to answer the original poster's question. I'd say - it depends. You'll need to research what the agents/publishers want.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Short synopses are traditionally single-spaced. If the agent doesn't specify, I always single-space them. However, some *do* specify, and in that case, I do whatever they ask.

I've seen both single-spaced and double-spaced requested as part of contest entries as well.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
And all of my research says differently. The whole point of double-spacing is for editorial mark-ups. Synopses and queries aren't edited.

I've submitted single-spaced synopses and no-one has ever quibbled it. I know people who sell books on the back of single-spaced synopses.

There's absolutely no reason to double-space a synopsis other than it's more aesthetically pleasing for it to look the same as your manuscript.

Sounds like we are researching different sources, and I'm sure agents want different things. I am a few months into the query process, but have not been asked to submit a synopsis yet. I am writing it now. I understand double spacing will make it easier for the agent to read, whch is my goal, espeically if they specify.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I always enjoy your posting. :D

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Short synopses are traditionally single-spaced. If the agent doesn't specify, I always single-space them. However, some *do* specify, and in that case, I do whatever they ask.

That's what I'm thinking too- double spaced to those who specify. As of now, my synopsis is five pages double spaced and seems just a bit tedious to me.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
All of my research, including reading agent blogs, says that synopsis do have to be double spaced. Queries do not.

Very firmly agree. It's a standard practice for a large majority of all professional writing of this sort. But, overall, this is more a question of "can" versus "should." Can you submit a longer synopsis without being rejected? Probably. Will it work to your advantage? Probably not. And, the cardinal rule with querying is brevity.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with SP here: the majority of the synopses I've seen have been single-spaced, and that's what I always used to ask for. As was said upstream, synopses aren't edited in the same way that manuscripts are, so there's not so much need for that extra space on the page. And in the absense of any better advice, I'd always keep a synopsis to under two pages.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Ryan: the problem is that no one seems to really agree on page count length, either. So even at 250 words per page, some folks say 1-2 pages, some say up to 5, some 10...it's all over the place.

Thanks though.

THere is no one-size-fits-all standard synopsis. Different agents and/or publishers want different things. Check the submission guidelines and tailor yours to fit what they want. I have multiple length versions of my synopsises and it must work - I've signed contracts on three novels this year and had a large publlisher ask for a full on another MS yesterday.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com

Every synopsis I have ever submitted has been single space per agent/publisher guidelines. If their guidelines stated they want double space, then I would and will send double space but in my experience, synopsis are generally single spaced documents.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
By and large the rule in any writing is that a single-sheet is always single spaced. Three or more pages are double-spaced. There are exceptions (such as a long letter), but they are exceptions. Two pages may either be single-spaced or double-spaced. Synopses follow this general rule.

A thousand word synopsis is nice because you can do what Scarletpeaches did. You can make it into a single-spaced two-page synopsis, or double-space it to make four pages, or double-space it and fiddle with the margins to make five pages. It's very flexible.

A four to five hundred word synopsis is a single sheet. Longer than thousand word synopses are occasionally used, all the way up to the dreaded detailed synopsis that runs about twenty or more pages. To be honest, I really like detailed synopses to check the structure of my writing.

ETA: The rules about single or double-spacing do not apply on the internet. Ignoring an attachment (which does follow the normal rules), writing on the internet should be single-spaced, with a hard break between paragraphs, such as used in share your work. The reason is that different browsers and email programs will deal with double-spaced paragraph differently, many of which will render it virtually unreadable. A synopsis sent as a paste onto an email should be single-spaced, with hard breaks between each paragraph.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
For a query, keep in to 250 words. For a true synopsis, first check the guidelines. Many agents and editors specify page count on synopses. These usually run one, three, and five pages.

When no count is specified, shorter is always better, but say everything you need to say. And say it well. Like a good query, a good synopsis is not simply a list of events. A good five page synopsis is better than a bad one page synopsis.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com

I've never seen an agent or editor who wants a double-spaced synopsis, nor have I ever submitted one.

I just went back and checked, actually, to make sure; my synopses--the single-page, the longer three-page, and the "long" five-pager--were all formatted as Jclarkedaw said, single-spaced with hard breaks between paragraphs. That was standard format as far as I knew; certainly I never had any complaints. (Then again, I tend to believe this is one of those "rules" that isn't so important if your work really interests the agent; unless they specify clearly--maybe not even then--they're not going to reject a book that's grabbed them and they think they can sell because the synopsis isn't double-spaced. AFAIK most of them barely skim the synopsis anyway, if they even ask for one.)

But then, most of the requests I got didn't ask for a synopsis anyway, so it ended up being moot. :)

(Having said that, when I C&Pd my first five/ten pages into the bottom of my query emails, I was copying them from the double-spaced ms and they generally stayed that way.)

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I've never seen an agent or editor who wants a double-spaced synopsis, nor have I ever submitted one.

I just went back and checked, actually, to make sure; my synopses--the single-page, the longer three-page, and the "long" five-pager--were all formatted as Jclarkedaw said, single-spaced with hard breaks between paragraphs. That was standard format as far as I knew; certainly I never had any complaints. (Then again, I tend to believe this is one of those "rules" that isn't so important if your work really interests the agent; unless they specify clearly--maybe not even then--they're not going to reject a book that's grabbed them and they think they can sell because the synopsis isn't double-spaced. AFAIK most of them barely skim the synopsis anyway, if they even ask for one.)

I guess it must depend on the agent. At his blog, Nathan Bransford says to double space. Since posting yesterday(?), I have found other sources that say to single space. I guess it probably a judgement call. :)

But then, most of the requests I got didn't ask for a synopsis anyway, so it ended up being moot. :)

Cool beans. I'll be glad if I never have to included a synopsis. :D

(Having said that, when I C&Pd my first five/ten pages into the bottom of my query emails, I was copying them from the double-spaced ms and they generally stayed that way.)

Same thing when I pasted my pages into emails. :)

I still have some queries out before I start round two. I have not yet gotten a request for a synopsis, but two of my rejections have come with encouraging compliments--I want to complete my sysnopsis in case an agent requests on.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
When no count is specified, shorter is always better, but say everything you need to say. And say it well. Like a good query, a good synopsis is not simply a list of events. A good five page synopsis is better than a bad one page synopsis.

James, so true! I've been reading over and over that a synopsis is not a "this happened, then this happened, etc," but a description of the story with the plot and all subplots included therein.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
I have no use for a synopsis myself, but when I need one I prefer a synopsis that is told dramatically, like a short story version of the novel itself, minus dialogue.