A question about background

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
As an unpublished author there is little I can put in my query to support my credentials. For my story, a thriller that takes place in some fairly exotic places, is it dumb to mention that I've been to the locals and speak from personal experience? I would think this may add at least tiny bit of credibility.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
You can add a small line about your experience with writing the story, but if you have no real writing credits just leave them off. I've read that it's better to have no credits than embellish no credits and make it sound like you do.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
iwannabe - I've been following your query thread with a lot of interest, and so I can understand from what this question stems.

The answer has already been given to you in that thread, that your experience with digs is not enough to be considered a credential and might even make you look amateur. The fact is too, a lot of people are well traveled, that doesn't suddenly make them experts on a specific culture. "I've been to Egypt once" does not impress an agent, and in fact could make an agent think you are a bit naive about what kind of experience is truly worth mentioning. Now, have you lived somewhere else for a couple years, gotten to know the culture? Have you actually participated in digs, or just see them (I've visited many digs myself and watched excavations, it's a pretty common thing for tourists to do)? That might make a difference.

But if your experience is little more than the average traveler experiences, I think it's best to leave it out.

Last edited: