PDA

View Full Version : How do you write?

Fruitbat
11-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Where and when?

What do you do when you get stuck or just don't feel like it?

scarletpeaches
11-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Where and when?In my office.

When? If I'm not sleeping, out of the house, seeing to chores or at my dinner, I'm writing. Or trying to.
What do you do when you get stuck or just don't feel like it?I write anyway.

If you give up or just leave it, you're not a writer. You're a wannabe.

Maxx
11-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Where and when?

I write any time I'm at my home computer and I can justify a cup of coffee. So that's any time between 6AM and 9PM.

If stuck, I edit (ie re-write earlier stuff fairly thoroughly) and if I don't feel like writing I edit (ie rewrite rather slowly and ineptly).

Plot Device
11-30-2010, 08:57 PM
OUTSIDE THE HOUSE: I love Starbucks and Panera, unless they have the A/C cranked too high. I can sit there from morning until they close, just writing.

INSIDE THE HOUSE: I have a chair in my bedroom that is PERFECT for writing in with my laptop. And to be honest, it's a collapsible lawn chair (http://scoutparts.com/products/photos/chair_226397.jpg) -- one of the new nylon ones with cup holders. I have it covered with an afghan to help it blend in with my room. (The best way to disguise such a chair is to use an afghan trimmed with a generous amount of fringe along all 4 borders! ;) ) But it's comfortable enough for me to be able to sit there for hours and not hurt my back, and the cupholders are just perfect.

THE MARATHON RUN: During those time when I am on a roll and I just can't put it down, I go to bed with the laptop and write until I start to fall asleep. Then I shut it down, slide the laptop aside on the mattress, wake up next morning and grab the laptop and just keep writing until I have to pee, and I try to pee as quickly as possible. While I'm in the bathroom I MIGHT take the extra couple minutes to do only a very hastey job of brushing my teeth. But I simply MUST get back to that laptop -- and there's no way I'm taking a shower because I'd be away from the laptop for too long. Breakfast? Fughedeabowdit! I'll lose all kinds of weight when I am in one of these intensive fits of writing and just can't stop. The most I'll do for food during these marathon writing endeavors is grab an orange juice or a spring water.

Plot Device
11-30-2010, 09:01 PM
What do I do when I am stuck and just don't feel like it?

I put it down for a few weeks, put some distance betwen me and it. After a few weeks I come back and can usually figure out what I need to do to either fix what stumped me, or whatever.

Ocassional breaks from it are always important.

Fiona
11-30-2010, 09:05 PM
I have to write when I simply feel moved or inspired to write. That's not to say there are some days when I feel like it more than others, but if I am totally not in the mental place to be creative then I can't do it... Yes, it means there are sometimes days (rarely weeks) where I take a break from writing, but this just works for me...
It doesn't worry me if I take small breaks from writing until I feel inspired - it works, because I have finished two novels I am very, very happy with.

I find if I force myself to write when I don't want to, I just end up unhappy with what ends up on the page and it generally ends up in the recycling bin.

I can do things to HELP me get inspired - read a favourite book etc, and that sometimes works.

As for WHERE I write, it depends.. sometimes it's simply on the sofa with the laptop on my knee, sometimes it's in the bedroom when my husband is playing his music too loud!

CheyElizabeth
11-30-2010, 09:09 PM
I have an office that I never use because I hate being alone. So I write sitting on the couch, watching TV while my family does their thing around me.

I also write Mondays when my daughter is at dance. Some of the best writing gets done in the waiting area of dance class.

I never really get stuck. If I find a scene hard to write, i skip to a new one.

Summonere
11-30-2010, 09:14 PM
I write at the kitchen table, slouched in a chair, my feet propped up in another, and I write on a laptop, in the morning, with the sunshine at my back and a pot of steaming tea at my elbow. I write from 9am to noon, eat lunch, wash dishes, and resume from 1pm to 2:30 or 3 or 4pm, depending on how things are going and what else I have to do. I write when I don't feel like it, just the same as going to work when I don't feel like it, and I write through every sticking place with the belief that I'll eventually figure things out, even if I have to go back later to fix them. So far, it's worked more often than not.

LaceWing
11-30-2010, 09:19 PM
I write when I have a scene in mind. When I'm stuck, I review my scenes to figure out what's missing that should lead to another.

Mr Flibble
11-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Where and when?

When I can fit it in with my shifts and when my kids aren't about. Where - laptop on sofa or at PC. Scribbling down of notes I can't read later is done any-and-everywhere

What do you do when you get stuck or just don't feel like it? Write anyway, or I'd never finish.

ether
11-30-2010, 09:26 PM
I write whenever I have time. I'd love to have a set place and time to do it, but I take what I can get. (Usually, my writing time is lunch-break at work.)

When I get stuck, it means something isn't working. I've written myself into a corner I don't know how to get out of, or my plot needs tweaking. I'll think on it for awhile and if that doesn't give me an answer, I go back and re-read to see if I can take the story down a slightly different road that doesn't dead-end.

When I just don't feel like it... I write anyway. I might switch projects for a change of pace, or I might write out plot-lines or character bios. But I still find something to write. If you want to write for a living, it's a job and even at a job you love, sometimes you just don't wanna. You do it anyway.

Jamesaritchie
11-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Where and when?

I write anywhere. Weather permitting, I like to write outside. Weather not permitting, I sometimes go sit in a reading/writing room at the library. When is pretty much every day, and at roughly the same time.

I don't get stuck, if for no other reason than I can always switch projects. But I usually don't get stuck, anyway. I can always keep writing something, even if it doesn't feel right at the time. Looking at it later, it usually is right.

If I don't feel like writing, I sit down and write. This is what being a writer is all about. Writing should be work you love, work you can't wait to get to each day, but is work, and when you're both employee and boss, you'd better be a tough boss who doesn't give days off lightly.

But I will say that if I didn't feel like writing more often than not, I'd stop writing altogether and go find something else I loved to do. Life is far too short to spend it doing something you don't feel like doing.

ether
11-30-2010, 10:11 PM
But I will say that if I didn't feel like writing more often than not, I'd stop writing altogether and go find something else I loved to do. Life is far too short to spend it doing something you don't feel like doing.

^ THIS. A hundred times, this.

If more often than not, I sat down to write with a sense of dread, I simply wouldn't do it anymore.

COchick
11-30-2010, 10:11 PM
When: Whenever I can find some free time, but it must be when no one else is around. If the kids are running around screaming (as they are now)...it is not going to work. So it is usually at night or when I've tossed them all outside to play.

Where: Usually in my bedroom where I have a desk. But I dream of my own office. I sometimes go to Starbucks, but I have to have a table facing the wall where I can't really see anyone. For whatever reason I get distracted by the people walking by but not the noise.

If I get stuck: I've had to train myself to just keep writing, even if it's crap. That usually gets me over the hump.

Jack Parker
11-30-2010, 10:48 PM
When: As often as possible. My full-time job schedule varies in hours and days of the week so it's perfect for me to write at various times. I have no set schedule for writing. If I found myself not writing, I would create a set schedule.

Where: Mostly in my apartment. I live in a 500 sq. ft. studio (perfect) with my iMac on a library table and a recliner in front of it. I type from my recliner with a wireless keyboard.

If I'm stuck: and I want/need to write, the most helpful thing for me is to go somewhere that's similar to the surroundings in the scene that I'm currently writing. I've sat on benches or planters in downtown Minneapolis with people scurrying all around me. I've gone to the nature conservatory and written there. Malls, parks, rivers, parking lots, neighborhood streets where I sat myself down under a tree between the sidewalk and the road, etc., I've even gone to IKEA when I needed to feel like I was in a character's house, whether it was the kitchen, bedroom, living room, etc.,

This really, really works for me. It helps me be more aware of my senses and reminds me to keep it real. It helps me to add appropriate sights, smells, noises, etc., Sometimes just the traveling to get to these places clears my mind enough. When I need absolute quiet, or when I can't find similar surroundings to write in, I go to the library and use their quiet rooms.

If I don't feel like it: I usually write anyway and keep the discipline. If I truly just don't feel like writing, I don't. I know I'm disciplined enough to see through my own excuses and work in spite of them. So, when I really can't bring myself to write that day, I don't force it.

leahzero
12-01-2010, 02:15 AM
OUTSIDE THE HOUSE: I love Starbucks and Panera, unless they have the A/C cranked too high. I can sit there from morning until they close, just writing.

Oh, so you're one of those customers my boyfriend is always telling me he runs into at Panera. The employees are amused by people like you. :D

His store has a couple regulars who are in there most of the day with their laptops. I always wonder if they're writers, and what they're writing.

penelopegeorge
12-01-2010, 02:24 AM
I write whenever no one else is looking. For some reason, mommy writing is the trigger of the "I'm hungry/thirsty/bored" parade.

If I can't write (which usually means I can't get near my computer), I read. If I'm stuck, I edit or do the agent search again.

crazynance
12-01-2010, 03:51 AM
I park in my upholstered rocking chair/rocking armchair with my laptop and base. Put the tv on a classical radio station, usually chamber music, and go incident by incident. Hope it flows.

Plot Device
12-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Oh, so you're one of those customers my boyfriend is always telling me he runs into at Panera. The employees are amused by people like you. :D

His store has a couple regulars who are in there most of the day with their laptops. I always wonder if they're writers, and what they're writing.

Yep! That's me! :D

And four years ago when I spent 5 months at my local Starbuck's writing the first screenplay that I ever actually finished and then actually shopped around Hollywood, every last barista employed there knew me by name, they often gave me free drinks, and two of them eventually sat down and READ my completed screenplay! :cool:

Devil Ledbetter
12-01-2010, 03:56 AM
I used to write in my home office. Then we rearranged it so I'm facing the windows. People (kids, husband) are always behind me. I cannot write with people behind me.

So now I take my netbook to a comfy chair in my bedroom. I usually write between sometime 7-10 PM nightly. I also write at an independent coffee shop, lunch hours when I can, and weekends.

Kate Thornton
12-01-2010, 04:17 AM
I usually write in my office, but often I sit out on in the jungle of my patio with my keyboard.
If I get stuck, I do something else for a while, usually read or come here.
I never dread writing. I like it or I wouldn't do it.

Karen Junker
12-01-2010, 04:37 AM
I write when I damn well feel like it. When I don't, I work on critting for other people and putting on a writers' workshop.

blacbird
12-01-2010, 04:57 AM
I write pretty much anywhere. I carry a number of yellow legal pads with me, so I'm not umbilicaled to a computer all the time. When I write by hand in those, the first pass into the computer serves as a rough edit, clearing up grammar, clumsiness in sentence construction, etc., and often adding material here and there as I go. The only downside of that is the atrocity of my handwriting, which now and then leaves me headscratching over something that looks like it should be a word, but maybe isn't.

There's never any dread about the writing part of writing. The dread comes every time I contemplate submitting anywhere.

jaksen
12-01-2010, 04:58 AM
I write wherever's there a sunny spot in my house. I move around a lot. I write every day, and can write morning, afternoon or night. (Morning is best though.)

I have to face the door, though. If I'm startled or surprised, I can't get back on task for at least 20 min or so. My concentration is so intense I don't hear what's going on around me, which is both a good and a bad thing.

Margarita Skies
12-01-2010, 06:09 AM
I write at my uncle's dining room, in my room, on a vanity, or on a computer desk in the side hallway of the living room.

The only time I don't feel like writing is when I am depressed, but it has to be something major, a depression episode that will last for months, major depression, not to the point where I don't feel like eating or sleeping, but just to the point where I don't feel like doing anything that I find fun or entertaining, like listening to music, watching TV or writing. I don't cry, either, I just eat and sleep disinterested in everything around me.

Other than that, when I get stuck, a new scene always pops up in my head, and I keep going. :D

Margarita Skies
12-01-2010, 06:11 AM
Fruitbat, I just noticed in your ticker that you're almost halfway through your book!! Congratulations!!

Fruitbat
12-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Fruitbat, I just noticed in your ticker that you're almost halfway through your book!! Congratulations!!

Thanks Magali. I didn't really do almost a hundred pages today though, lol. It's nonfiction and I have tons of pieces of it scattered about and I'm getting them all together. I do feel pretty good though, I didn't realize I had so much of it done already. Annnddd, I'm not done going through my notes yet, so I'm having a real good day. ;o) (it is just the rough draft though).

And you are really zipping through book number two!

Libbie
12-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Where and when?

I put in at least two hours a day when I'm not at work. sometimes, if I have a very busy day planned, I have to get up early or stay up late. But I get in a minimum of two hours. I try to go to a library when I can because the quiet and the change of scenery seem to help inspire me. But if I can't make it, I write at home. I live in a very tiny studio apartment, so I don't have a separate space for writing -- just on my futon, which is my only furniture.

I write anyway. It happens often, but I write through it. I reassure myself that I don't have to keep anything I write that day -- I can decide I hate it later and delete it. But I write anyway. The more I write through it, the less often I feel stuck or unmotivated, by the way. If I let myself slack and don't write for a day, it's too easy to turn that into a week or a month.

Libbie
12-01-2010, 12:15 PM
p.s. I love fruit bats! I used to work as a zoo keeper (hope to again soon!) and bats are rad animals.

Fruitbat
12-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Fruitbat thanks you for saying so!

amergina
12-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I write in a variety of places. Home, work (during lunch), at the local Border's cafe... and I write when I have a free moment.

I do get the most writing done when I go to the Border's Cafe on a weekend--there are no distractions for me and I feel that since I am out to write, I should write rather than futz on the Internet. I also don't have little furry heads butting my laptop closed.

Kyla Laufreyson
12-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Since I got my laptop, I write no matter where I am, whenever I feel like it.

And when I'm stuck? Force myself to keep going anyway. Or hit up the Internet.

KyraDune
12-02-2010, 07:29 PM
I write in my office at home. I try to write three times a day, morning, evening, night, at least two hours for each session. Must have music though, can hardly think without it.

Sometimes, I feel tired or burned out but I write anyway, because that's what I do and when I don't do it I feel weird, like wired or restless or something. Anyway, I write six days a week, taking off Saturday to give my brain a rest and to get some much needed reading and video game time.

mario_c
12-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Right here, on my keyboard. What a silly question. :D And I do my best to keep paper and pencil on me at all times when the computer is off and I get a great idea. Actually, I am hoping that soon I can cost justify a used MacBook and can do the "I'm so cool at Starbucks writing my latest WIP" act with PD. (:tongue Love ya, girl.)

As for inspiration when you hate what you're writing or can't think of what to type next, read. Catch up on your Netflix queue. Put on classical music. Meditate. Beta others' work. Actually you should be doing that anyway, especially the last item, but to each her/his own.
Personally, I've got such a hectic life that it forces me to look forward to my writing sessions. So when I'm out and about and I get a good idea, I can't wait to get home and start typing. Thank Buddha I have no kids. But that's the final act for reinvigorating brain cells to work on a WIP, is to just walk away and come back when it's ready. (WARNING: you won't be able to do this as a pro, so enjoy it while you can. ;))

Jack Parker
12-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Actually, I am hoping that soon I can cost justify a used MacBook...Trust me, you don't need to justify the expense of buying a Mac, new or used. It's the best money I ever spent and it made me love computers. When I had a Micro$oft (first a PC, then a laptop), I hated computers with a passion. Turns out I just hated Micro$oft!

I love my iMac!

mario_c
12-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Jack, my computer is a Mini. But I do need to go mobile sometime. OSX fo' the winning net experience!

Jack Parker
12-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I have to admit, I have no clue what a Mini is, unless it's a rich mouse using the french spelling. As for going mobile, I may have an iMac but I'm very mobile. I just use pen and paper. I like writing that way because I'm not the biggest fan of technology. I have a computer only because I write. That's it. My cell phone is cheaper than a land line but I treat it like a land line in that it stays home. No TV, radio, stereo, CDs, DVDs, dishwasher, microwave, car, toaster, etc., I have an $8-12 electric bill each month.

I know others are into electronic gadgets and that's cool. It's just not me. I hate lugging crap with me. I have a backpack I use to carry pens, notebooks, the current book I'm reading, water and mints. I carry these things with me because I write in different places, like I explained here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5557433&postcount=16).

If you need a laptop, get the MacBook and enjoy life. I promise, it's worth it.

shaldna
12-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Where and when?

either in my study in teh evening, or at my desk at work in my tea break. usually long hand.

either plow on with it or write something else for a little while.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
12-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Late at night, waiting for the kids in the car, in airports, on trains, anywhere I can snatch a free gap and feel like it. I'll do it as long as I enjoy it. I'm passionate about stories, so I expect it'll be a keeper.

Margarita Skies
12-05-2010, 09:49 PM
And I do my best to keep paper and pencil on me at all times when the computer is off and I get a great idea.

I do the same thing!! :ROFL: What a coincidence! I get my best ideas while I am taking a nap and from now on I'll be sure to have a writing pad and a pen right next to my pillow, while I nap and while I sleep at night because to keep from having nightmares I sleep with my TV on, but muted. :D

Shadow_Ferret
12-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Where and when?
Any place, any time as long as I have something to write on. Even if it's a napkin or a discarded envelope. I have found toilet paper is a little too flimsy though and there's often no hard horizontal surface to write on.

But unlike some here, I don't have a special dedicated room in which to write anyway.

I tell myself I'll just write a paragraph. Just one paragraph. Usually that one will lead to another and another and another.

But I find it easy to just tell myself to write one paragraph with no expectations of more.

Margarita Skies
12-06-2010, 05:01 AM
I have to admit, I have no clue what a Mini is, unless it's a rich mouse using the french spelling. As for going mobile, I may have an iMac but I'm very mobile. I just use pen and paper. I like writing that way because I'm not the biggest fan of technology. I have a computer only because I write. That's it. My cell phone is cheaper than a land line but I treat it like a land line in that it stays home. No TV, radio, stereo, CDs, DVDs, dishwasher, microwave, car, toaster, etc., I have an $8-12 electric bill each month.

I know others are into electronic gadgets and that's cool. It's just not me. I hate lugging crap with me. I have a backpack I use to carry pens, notebooks, the current book I'm reading, water and mints. I carry these things with me because I write in different places, like I explained here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5557433&postcount=16).

If you need a laptop, get the MacBook and enjoy life. I promise, it's worth it.

Reading through the thread, somehow I missed this post, and I must say that I am amazed. I have never met a person in whose house TV's, microwaves and toasters are absent. I have met people who have no CD's or DVD's, but every person I've met has at least one TV in their house, and a microwave. At least half the people I know or have known in the past did not or do not have a computer in their house, so that doesn't surprise me, but the no TV, no toaster, no microwave thing? Wow. You are special for not having that kind of technology in your house. It's just uncommon. And I have never met anyone whose power bill was $8-12 a month. Water bill, yes, but not the power bill.

Jack Parker
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Reading through the thread, somehow I missed this post, and I must say that I am amazed. I have never met a person in whose house TV's, microwaves and toasters are absent. I have met people who have no CD's or DVD's, but every person I've met has at least one TV in their house, and a microwave. At least half the people I know or have known in the past did not or do not have a computer in their house, so that doesn't surprise me, but the no TV, no toaster, no microwave thing? Wow. You are special for not having that kind of technology in your house. It's just uncommon. And I have never met anyone whose power bill was $8-12 a month. Water bill, yes, but not the power bill.I've just never been a big technology person. I don't try to live like the Ingalls on Little House on the Prairie (although I wouldn't mind) it's just that I have no desire to have any of that stuff. I don't even have a car. The city bus brings me to work, door to door, in 15-20 minutes. It goes everywhere I need to go. My stove/oven does everything a toaster, microwave, coffee maker, and all those kinds of cooking gadgets do. I think people just forgot that and we're used to having specialized gadgets to do individual things. Instead of appliances, my kitchen counters are full of jars of spices, beans, rices, flours, teas, etc.,

In general, I like living like this because it gives me all the time in the world, especially not having a TV. My stress levels (not to mention my living expenses) are much lower than most others I know.

thethinker42
12-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Where and when?

The short answer: At my desk, all day every day.

I get to my desk around 9 am and go to bed around midnight. Of course I spend some of that time screwing off, stopping to eat, doing chores if needed, sometimes going out if I absolutely must, etc, but I spend at least 8 hours writing most days. I probably take 1-2 days off a week, depending on what I have going on.

As for where, my default place is my desk, but I'll take my laptop or spiral notebook into another room occasionally, or to the library. I can write just about anywhere...I've written in cargo jets, emergency rooms (while hooked to an IV, no less), airports, you name it...but usually my office.

Write anyway. Once I get past the day's first 1,000 words or so, I usually hit my stride and can continue without too much trouble.

If I'm really stuck, it depends on why. If it's a problem with the story, sometimes I'll put it aside and work on something else, then go back to the other. If it's me - I don't feel good, I'm distracted, I'm burned out - then I'll take the day off. Right now, I'm supposed to be taking all of December off because of some burnout, but started working on my next WIP anyway. Just can't stay away, apparently. But I'm definitely taking more days off this month than I have in a while, just to rest and regroup a bit.

If a day off doesn't help, and the story itself doesn't seem to be the problem, I'll force myself not to write for 1-2 weeks. By the end of it, I'm usually chomping at the bit and itching to write again.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Yep! That's me! :D

And four years ago when I spent 5 months at my local Starbuck's writing the first screenplay that I ever actually finished and then actually shopped around Hollywood, every last barista employed there knew me by name, they often gave me free drinks, and two of them eventually sat down and READ my completed screenplay! :cool:

That was almost me a couple months ago. When Mr. Hip and I got to Canada, we had to live with my in-laws out in the boonies for awhile (not recommended). Hip is a city girl. I did not deal well with that. He had to bring me into the city with him every day, and while he was at work, I would sit at Starbucks for a good half the day. Many of the employees knew me, and I got the free drink thing once in awhile. Nobody ever had time to read though. They were always swamped.

Margarita Skies
12-06-2010, 08:27 PM
I've just never been a big technology person. I don't try to live like the Ingalls on Little House on the Prairie (although I wouldn't mind) it's just that I have no desire to have any of that stuff. I don't even have a car. The city bus brings me to work, door to door, in 15-20 minutes. It goes everywhere I need to go. My stove/oven does everything a toaster, microwave, coffee maker, and all those kinds of cooking gadgets do. I think people just forgot that and we're used to having specialized gadgets to do individual things. Instead of appliances, my kitchen counters are full of jars of spices, beans, rices, flours, teas, etc.,

In general, I like living like this because it gives me all the time in the world, especially not having a TV. My stress levels (not to mention my living expenses) are much lower than most others I know.

I really hope my post didn't offend you, as that was not my intention. What I meant to say by special was that it's uncommon for someone to be able to live without a tv, a toaster, a microwave... you know? I always thought that people would go crazy without that stuff, but I've just learned that there are people out there who don't need these gadgets to live a good life. Stories like yours really surprised and inspired me.

erin_michelle
12-06-2010, 09:51 PM
I write at my desk in my bedroom, either on my laptop or desktop. (Laptop more because my desktop is super old and runs slow.) I try start early in the morning, but usually don't hit my stride until noon, and I can write until dinnertime.

If I get stuck--whether it be on a paragraph or an entire chapter--I'll usually jump ahead. My mind has a habit of being two steps ahead of whatever I'm writing, so getting stuck isn't a big deal. If I'm REALLY stuck, I'll work on plotting out future events and work back to my "stuck point." Working backwards also helps in finding plot holes.

Esmeralda
12-06-2010, 11:13 PM
I take notes in my notebooks whenever I get an idea and start writing when I have enough to make a good start. Then the research goes in the notebook and fills in the story gaps. Dreams contribute a lot of the story line and help to develop the characters.
Just have to be careful of the daydreaming while I'm driving. Have gone out of my way quite a bit sometimes. I get involved in my character's lives as the movie rolls in my head and I miss the exit on I-4. Backtracking is a pain, especially when I have to explain at home that I "missed the exit... again".

Radhika
12-07-2010, 03:43 AM
I grab my laptop, sit on my messy bed, try to shut off the Internet, and type.
Other than that, I write whenever my notebook or a pen is nearby.

Other than writing?
I text.
All day, and night.
I apologize, I am a teenager.

Margarita Skies
12-07-2010, 04:45 AM
I take notes in my notebooks whenever I get an idea and start writing when I have enough to make a good start. Then the research goes in the notebook and fills in the story gaps. Dreams contribute a lot of the story line and help to develop the characters.
Just have to be careful of the daydreaming while I'm driving. Have gone out of my way quite a bit sometimes. I get involved in my character's lives as the movie rolls in my head and I miss the exit on I-4. Backtracking is a pain, especially when I have to explain at home that I "missed the exit... again".

I daydream about my scenes and they play in my head like a movie, too! Awesome! :D

BrooklynLee
12-07-2010, 06:15 AM
I'm not very picky. I used to be pickier, and wrote a lot less.

I will say that oddly, though, I write a ton on camping trips. The novel that got me an agent went from long-standing idea that I'd been playing with for ages to Actual Book in a tent in the Rocky Mountains. This is very amusing to my husband, because he's definitely the more enthusiastic camper. He's not above mentioning how much writing I do during these trips when he's trying to sell me on another one. :)

Jack Parker
12-07-2010, 06:47 AM
I really hope my post didn't offend you, as that was not my intention. What I meant to say by special was that it's uncommon for someone to be able to live without a tv, a toaster, a microwave... you know? I always thought that people would go crazy without that stuff, but I've just learned that there are people out there who don't need these gadgets to live a good life. Stories like yours really surprised and inspired me.I hope my post didn't sound like I was offended! That thought never crossed my mind! I actually thought your post was very kind. When people hear about how I live, most are intrigued or astonished and say things like, "I never even thought about living without all that stuff before! It's just always there so I use it." Some people, though, look at me as though I just slapped them in the face and get upset! Go figure!

Jack Parker
12-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I can't write in clutter and mess. Never could. I can't even think straight around clutter. But that's only if it's like that at either my apartment or in public somewhere. I can visit friends in their clutter and it doesn't bother me at all. I can accept others for how they are easily but I'm not a clutter bug myself. And I expect public places to be clean and in order.

Jamesaritchie
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm not very picky. I used to be pickier, and wrote a lot less.

I will say that oddly, though, I write a ton on camping trips. The novel that got me an agent went from long-standing idea that I'd been playing with for ages to Actual Book in a tent in the Rocky Mountains. This is very amusing to my husband, because he's definitely the more enthusiastic camper. He's not above mentioning how much writing I do during these trips when he's trying to sell me on another one. :)

Camping is a good time to write. I take long camping trips just for the writing.

Margarita Skies
12-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I hope my post didn't sound like I was offended! That thought never crossed my mind! I actually thought your post was very kind. When people hear about how I live, most are intrigued or astonished and say things like, "I never even thought about living without all that stuff before! It's just always there so I use it." Some people, though, look at me as though I just slapped them in the face and get upset! Go figure!

I was just making sure you weren't offended, as sometimes when we're nice to people, when we intend to say something good, they get offended anyway, and defensive, and a nice comment turns into a big fight. I actually commend you, congratulate you for not being a slave to those things that people consider indispensable. You are an inspiration because you live your life freely. :Thumbs:

Citizen Cobalt
12-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Where? It has to be a place without clutter. I mean, there's creative chaos and then there's just plain chaos.
Coffee shops are good places to write, provided the seat is comfortable.

When? I've found that my best writing occurs when I'm in class. My attention is supposed to be elsewhere, but a thought gets into my head and I must write. Which would explain my grades in highschool.

It's the simple things that help me write. A keyboard that makes a nice 'click' and that has perfect key sensitivity. Having nice nails, a clean workspace, and the right song to play over and over. And of course, a good cup of coffee or tea.

ganstream1
12-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Where?

On the couch in my living room in front of the tv.

When?

All day long

I look up and watch tv until I feel like it again.

Nivarion
12-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Where I write is in my bed room, where my desk is.

I write when I'm not gonna be disturbed, since it takes me a long time to get into the thought patterns of the characters and interruptions just breaks it for me for a while.

When I can't get into the mood for writing, I draw things or world build. I draw characters, equipment, maps or in world scenery.

On occasion I do dread writing. But its for the same reason every time, a character I like is about to bite the dust, Kick the bucket, take a dirt nap etc.

Darkwing
12-14-2010, 03:54 AM
The spare bedroom upstairs has become my writing room. I'm still in the process of prettying it up. I'm going to paint it and put up some decorations. Overall, it's a nice place to be, and I really do need the dedicated space to be able to concentrate.

As for when I write, usually in the late morning/early afternoon. I get up, feed and water the horses, get some tea, and get myself upstairs. If I do anything more involved than that before I write, it's harder for me to concentrate.

I can't write at night. Night is either homework time, or is when I'm stuck on TV movde. This becomes a big problem for me when I'm in school, especially when I have morning classes. Next quarter (which starts in January) I'll have to find a way to be more flexible about my writing, especially on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which are the days I teach. >.<

BrandiZ
12-16-2010, 08:00 AM
I play music when I write. When I'm away from my computer I pull out my notebook and write notes/scenes. And when I'm doing neither I'm playing my book through my mind like a show on TiVo that constantly changes and never gets old.

AlishaS
12-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Well... I write in my husbands leather lazy boy, I do, however, have an office that currently is overrun with a plethora of Christmas presents. So when the season of giving is over I will be back in my comfy office chair and in my own space.

When I get stuck I smoke. I mentioned on another thread lol.

When I don't feel like writing, I usually don't. I don't like forced worked, some times it means a lot more needs to be fixed in the editing process. With that being said, if I find I don't feel like writing more then two days in a row, I have a problem and then I try and force write (I know, contridicts what I just said above) or work on something else. Writing anything, is better then nothing, but sometimes you do need breather days.

CheG
12-17-2010, 07:55 AM
I write in the morning, pecil and paper, at my desk which has a nice view of my front yard and the sidewalk.

I only get in about 40-45 minutes, somedays less, but it all adds up. I have two WIPs so if I get stuck on one I'll work on the other. But I have the one MAIN book and the side book to work on. I also eat breakfast as I write.

Sometimes I squeeze a bit in at night but my brain doesn't work as well.

adarkfox
12-19-2010, 09:10 PM
I write at my desk, which is behind the couch and facing a wall... my desk is smashed with computer, office supplies, tablet, sketchbook and can of pop. I dream of what my "office space" will be one day. Since I am in the main room of the place fiancee gave me a turtle beach headset... I can escape into my own world of music as I write, and I look badass because it has a mic on it ;D

I tend to write at night, after the munchkin is in bed and I can get a few hours in to myself. If I have a short workday I can run home and type for a few hours too. It's all about a little here and a little there.

I was cruising last night and got stuck... I rammed my head against the wall with it for about an hour and finally decided to go to bed and mull it over. I'm still mulling. Characters are fighting me on this one, and I'm trying to listen but they're not talking. Blah.

PrincessofPersia
12-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I write in my bedroom listening to Moby in my isolation headphones. I am a night owl, so I tend to write in the middle of the night or very early morning.

If I get stuck while writing, I try to work on my characters or outline other parts of the story for when I get to them later.

J_Jammer
12-22-2010, 09:37 AM
On Tuesdays I spend time at a Starbucks before I am to go to a writing group...I do writing on my novel or finish up my movie reviews.

Normally I write at my desk. If I don't set a time limit I'll be doing it for hours before I realize how much time has past.

When I'm stuck I pull the idea of just write the "what" and then after I'm done...go back and fix the "how." It stops writing block.

Rowan
12-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Where and when?

Where and when?
Usually in my office, at home. During the week--evenings (after work). Weekends or days off...off and on all day long.

Take a break. Go for a run with the dogs. Call a friend and chat (or brainstorm). Read something else or watch a movie/etc. Or, I pretend my character is a friend of mine and imagine what he/she would be doing if they were in my 'hood. If it's a case of not knowing where to go from point A (and my rough outline isn't working out), I line up a few options, start writing and see which one works best.

If I'm really stuck, I'll just pick a random topic and try and write a paragragh about it. Then that paragraph becomse a page, etc. That usually gets me out of a rut. (You know those stupid prompts you get in training courses? The ones you pick out of a hat and have to give a 5-minute speech--those really help me).

eward
12-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Usually, when I write I'm at home on my laptop, either at my desk, the dining room table, or the armchair. Occasionally, I'll bring my laptop to the library or a cafe. I used to do a lot of handwriting, but my wrists are not up for that anymore. Food distracts me, but I like having music and some water by my side.

When? It just depends, but usually the afternoon or evening. I'm trying to get in the habit of doing it in the morning, but I get distracted by thousands of other things to do on the internet. . .including AW!

When I get stuck, it's usually on where to go next with the plot. Most of the time, I sit around on writing forums, saying, "Okay, I'll write in thirty minutes. . ." And thirty minutes later, I'll say, "Okay, in twenty minutes now. . ." But eventually I just have to open up the word processor and get a new document and at the top, write "What If?" and I write a few different directions the story could go. Then I pick one and start writing. Sometimes it takes me a few days to get to this point since I think inspiration will magically come. But I have to think it out.

Scandiaca
12-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Most of my writing is done at night.
Most of it is done when I should be doing something else, too. Funny enough.... at night I can write straight on the PC. During daytime, all my writing is done in a little worn down notebook, that looks rather worn down only days after I buy a brand new shiny one >.<

crazynance
01-13-2011, 08:05 AM
now that we have a new router... I can write anywhere in the house again! :D :D

MyFirstMystery
01-13-2011, 10:41 AM
When: Usually at night after the hubby has gone to sleep. Sometimes on weekend afternoons. I've been writing on average 3-4 sessions per week, and my sessions have been fairly short 1-2 hours. I'm in the outlining stage, so I can only do that for so long, I expect my writing sessions will be a bit longer once I transition into the actual prose writing.

Where: On my living room couch with my laptop on my lap. I have a home office but that is where I do my day-job, so I like to be in another room.

If I'm stuck: If I get stuck I close the laptop and engage with my story another way. I visualize it, go for a walk, or work on something related - like character profiles or gathering information on settings. I don't get stuck very often, it's more like I only have so much in me each day.

If I don't feel like it: If I don't feel like writing, I don't do it. Granted, I usually feel like writing, so this isn't a big problem for me. I don't like rigid schedules (I think writing should be *fun* and scheduling things tends to suck out the fun) so I just write as often as I find the time, which at the moment is 3-4 nights per week.

Interesting to read how others do it!

cryaegm
01-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I like writing at night. I feel more awake and alert, and that's usually when my muse is screaming at me to write and to get things done, blah blah blah. During the day (rather morning), I'll for whatever reason start to write, but once afternoon hits, I'm a slug and I go nowhere.

I like to write by hand actually before I type, which is strange because I hated doing that for research papers. I find that if I write it out while it's in my hand, I'm faster at it and keep it going whereas with typing, I have to pause and think about it, which then I end up forgetting and that's no good. It makes me sad. Really, really sad.

However, there will be instances where I can write by computer and suck completely when it comes by hand and want nothing to do with handwriting. It doesn't help that I'm easily distracted and end up doing things when I should be focusing. If anyone has suggestions besides the same old "don't have the TV on" or "don't have the computer on" speech, that doesn't help. I STILL find distractions.

amlptj
01-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Anytime i'm free and wherever I am at the moment with my computer.

My favorite place to write is in my room on my video game rocker chair. I shut the door turn off all the lights and blast my music through the chair.

When i'm stuck i take a little break grab a bit to eat and seriously outline what i'm stuck about. Usually awesome music helps me work through it too!

IWannaWrite
01-15-2011, 05:44 AM
Where and when?

I am the most productive in the morning and at night.

What do you do when you get stuck or just don't feel like it?Read and post here.

lizbeth dylan
01-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Currently writing while sitting at the kitchen table on a laptop drinking sweet tea, usually with the dog in my lap.

When I get stuck, I do something mundane (dishes, laundry, walk the dog). It seems to get the technical side of my brain occupied and frees up the creative to, well, create.

I just had a few days dry spell and read an AW thread that talked about trying to write at least 500 words each day before logging on. So tried it yesterday and today. I thought, even if I don't like what I write, I'll just delete it. Turned out pretty good and pushed me through a scene I was dreading because I don't particularly like any of the characters in it.

Amyre
01-15-2011, 06:07 AM
I usually write sitting up in bed first thing in the morning. That's the best time for me to do it, before everyone else gets up. It's quiet and I get the most done without distraction, but I write a few times a day whenever I can. When the rest of the house is up, I write sitting on my couch with music on to help me focus.

lulzy
01-15-2011, 06:10 AM
Home. And when I'm in the mood for it or I have the need in which I just have to write. In a different sense, when I'm not really busy.
I find things to motivate me to write. Usually ends up in procrastination though XD