How to cook fish?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I do not love fish. Most of the time I don't even like fish. The most I used to eat was the occassional can of tuna with a generous helping of mayo and lots of crackers.

I grew up in a family who loved to fish but we wouldn't eat the fish when we caught them, instead they would go into a warm cooler and take a two hour or more trek back home and then sit in the sink, waiting to be cleaned and then maybe that night or maybe the next day...or next week the trout would finally be cooked up. Ick.

I thought this meant I hated fish but I've learned over the years that it was improperly done, that the fish should have been cleaned on site and grilled up ASAP, especially trout which does not fair well with time.

I really want to start an aquaponics farm. I want to grow my own fish along with my own food and have them in that wonderful system that works so well together. My problem is I still have qualms about eating fish.

So I bought a flash frozen salmon fillet and a flash frozen tilapia fillet. I've heard that these particular two are the best I can buy at my local stores, especially the tilapia. Not to mention the health benefits of eating fish.

Given that I have drawbacks to fish to begin with, I want to get some killer recipes to give me the best possible chance at learning to like and even love fish. Anyone got some favorites? Cooking methods would be greatly appreciated as well as whether to thaw the fish first or cook them straight from the frozen state.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
With salmon, I personally think that simpler is better. Brush with some sort of oil, salt and garlic (or garlic salt if you're in a rush) to taste, then grill over medium coals or roast at 375 for 4-5 minutes/side. When roasting, I like to throw in a few sliced onions as well.

If you can wait, I think salmon tastes a LOT better if you let it sit in the fridge for 24h after cooking. (You can serve cold or nuke for a few seconds). Cold salmon is great in spinach salad with a vineaigrette, maybe a couple of raisins and walnuts.

Drizzling any sort of fish with lemon or lime is pretty much never wrong.

If you ever get ahold of a fresh salmon, making gravlax is kind of fun. It's basically salt+sugar cured salmon flavored with dill. A lot of people put it on bagels. It's probably a bit greasy for a main course, but it's a nice side to something else.

Tilapia is one of my favorites. It's kind of the universal fish. It's good by itself, in stews, baked, roasted, whatever. More or less any spice will work with it (poke around on epicurious for ideas).

Fish tacos are good if you like cilantro and not a lot of trouble. A lot of times on weeknights I just pan fry tilapia and serve with bearnaise and a side of corn. If it's cold out you can make bouillabaisse.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
For a virgin fish-eater, tilapia is probably a good choice. It's not a strong flavored fish, like bluefish or salmon, and shouldn't offend your sensibilities.

Regardless of which you try first, I'd encourage you to make sure you do not overcook it--and it's easy to do. Try grilling your tilapia just until you can flake it with a fork--probably three minutes per side, depending on thickness.

Once you've finally seen the light and become a full-fledged fishaholic, we can start you on medium rare ahi tuna. :)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Salmon, IMO, is the easiest - get a salmon steak and marinate it in soy sauce. Put skin-side down in a baking pan. Sprinkle whatever seasoning you like - garlic, basil - cover with sliced tomatoes, smother in mozzarella, bake slowly, covered.

The tomatoes make the salmon so moist, it'll melt in your mouth.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually buy catfish but this works with talipia. I just mix up some olive oil and whatever suits my fancy, citrus and/or honey and/or dill. Then I broil them, turning once. mmm....

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Tilapia is a good choice. It pretty much takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. For some reason, I'm not all that fond of salmon. I'm wondering if I need to experiment with it some.

For tilapia, my quick and dirty go-to recipe is to put the fish on a plate and season with whatever you desire (seasoned salt, basil, garlic, pinch of cayenne, etc). Then I heat a bit of olive oil in a pan, saute the fish until flaky (Just a few minutes each side.) and eat immediately.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the recipes. I so desperately want to love fish and I think I've just had bad experiences for the most part. So do I thaw the fish first?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I usually just wrap the fish in foil - maybe a tad of light olive oil to stop sticking - then bake in the oven until I can smell it. Served with a fresh salad and potato salad.

A whole salmon cooked in a court bouillon (sp?) is to die for! Make the CB by putting carrots, onions, peppercorns and celery (if you like it) in a sauce bring to the boil and then simmer until the carrot and onion are squishy. Strain the liquid and then pour it over the whole fish. Add about half a pint of a good, dry white wine. Poach until fish is cooked. Time depends entirely on the size of the fish. Turn the fish out onto a large piece of foil. Remove the skin and the brown flesh. Slide a sharp knife down the crease in the back of the salmon to loosen the bones. Use a sharp scissor to snip the main bone at the base of the neck and just above the tail. Carefully remove the bone - if you have loosened it enough it should come away in one piece and take the majority of little bones with it. Then place the fish - using the foil as a sort of hammock - on a serving platter and really impress your friends!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the recipes. I so desperately want to love fish and I think I've just had bad experiences for the most part. So do I thaw the fish first?
Yes. Absolutely.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a big fish person myself, only started really eating (and enjoying) it a few years ago. Tilapia is pretty good. But Salmon will always be my favorite. We put it on some foil, skin down, and use a brush to put butter on it. McCormick has a salmon seasoning, and just rub that on. You can put it in the oven, but I love it on the grill. In fact, having it it tonight with some garlic butter shrimp. :D

Salmon, IMO, is the easiest - get a salmon steak and marinate it in soy sauce. Put skin-side down in a baking pan. Sprinkle whatever seasoning you like - garlic, basil - cover with sliced tomatoes, smother in mozzarella, bake slowly, covered.

The tomatoes make the salmon so moist, it'll melt in your mouth.

OMG, that sounds heavenly!!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're fish eaters, a couple of times a week usually.

Tilapia is not a favorite largely because it's one of the class of fish that has little flavor of its own. My favorite tilapia recipe (which works for any white-fleshed fish, like catfish, halibut, whitefish, sole, perch, etc.)

1 lb. tilapia filets
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne or 4-5 drops hot sauce
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced (≈ 1 Tbsp.)
1 can (14-16 oz) crushed tomatoes, or about 2 c. halved cherry tomatoes
4 oz. sliced black olives, drained

Heat oven to 400F. Set fish filets in a baking dish just large enough to hold them. Sprinkle fish with cayenne as evenly as possible. (If using hot sauce, add it to tomatoes.) Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. olive oil.

Heat remaining Tbsp. olive oil in small skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds or so, until garlic is aromatic and turning golden. Add tomatoes and olives (and hot sauce if not using cayenne). Cook ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon over fish and bake ten minutes, or until fish is cooked through and flakes easily. Lift individual filets and their sauce with flat spatula for serving.

As my husband says, "It could be any fish under there. What's good is the stuff on it."

Maryn, who serves salmon at least once a week

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not a great tilapia fan.

With salmon, I put it in foil, with butter, sprigs of fresh dill and lemon juice, wrap loosely and into the oven.

I usually serve it with boiled baby new potatoes and make a white sauce with finely chopped dill.

If we have any left over, Mr. Firedrake makes fishcakes.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, that sounds heavenly!!

Thanks! My husband is an amazing cook. Since I met him, I've had so many different kinds of fish (since he fishes whenever possible), and he's never made it so that I didn't love it.

Another idea that would work with salmon, though hubs made it with rockfish:

He made a marinade with soy sauce, a little mustard, and some honey. Then grilled it and crushed brown sugar almonds on top.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
So many good sounding recipes to choose from. I think I'll try the tilapia first simply because it's the more neutral of the two.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Regardless of which you try first, I'd encourage you to make sure you do not overcook it--and it's easy to do.

Echo this. Goes for virtually any seafood. All fish cooks much more rapidly than red meat or fowl, and the mistake most people make is exactly this: overcooking. Above all, do NOT cook the fish until it seems done before taking it off of or out from the heat. Remember, the fish will still be hot, and continuing to cook from its own heat for a while. Take it out of the heat when it's just beginning to be done on the outside. This will be somewhat dependent on how thick the fish is (tilapia is usually very thin, and will cook right quicklike).

Same goes for shrimp, unless you like eating warm styrofoam.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I usually just wrap the fish in foil - maybe a tad of light olive oil to stop sticking - then bake in the oven until I can smell it. Served with a fresh salad and potato salad.

A whole salmon cooked in a court bouillon (sp?) is to die for! Make the CB by putting carrots, onions, peppercorns and celery (if you like it) in a sauce bring to the boil and then simmer until the carrot and onion are squishy. Strain the liquid and then pour it over the whole fish. Add about half a pint of a good, dry white wine. Poach until fish is cooked. Time depends entirely on the size of the fish. Turn the fish out onto a large piece of foil. Remove the skin and the brown flesh. Slide a sharp knife down the crease in the back of the salmon to loosen the bones. Use a sharp scissor to snip the main bone at the base of the neck and just above the tail. Carefully remove the bone - if you have loosened it enough it should come away in one piece and take the majority of little bones with it. Then place the fish - using the foil as a sort of hammock - on a serving platter and really impress your friends!

This is probably a stupid question, do you pour the juice you drained off over the fish or the veggies you drained over?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I just cooked up the tilapia. I put the olive oil in the hot pan, sauted some fresh onions, garlic, basil and cracked peppercorns, as well as half a fresh lime. Let it season up, then I put the tilapia in the pan, sprinkled some cajun seasoning over the top and piled up the sauted items on top while it cooked, flipped it over and did the same. Oh my gosh! If I can make the fish this good every time, loving it won't be a problem.

I served it on a bed of rice with stir-fry on the side.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We can't argue with success! Glad you liked it.

Maryn, going out to dinner tonight (but where?)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, that's awesome! I love it when people share my love of fish!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I just cooked up the tilapia. I put the olive oil in the hot pan, sauted some fresh onions, garlic, basil and cracked peppercorns, as well as half a fresh lime. Let it season up, then I put the tilapia in the pan, sprinkled some cajun seasoning over the top and piled up the sauted items on top while it cooked, flipped it over and did the same. Oh my gosh! If I can make the fish this good every time, loving it won't be a problem.

I served it on a bed of rice with stir-fry on the side.

1233495358_appl3456.gif

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
that guy in the 2nd row (behind the gal with the purse on her lap) really loves fish!

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of fish to be honest. Or water now that I think about it.

But I know people who swear by cooking fish, wrapped in foil, in the dishwasher. And yes I can see some points of contention too, but apparently it works a treat.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're eating fish for its health benefits, tilapia isn't a great choice. It has a very low level of "good fats" (those with omega-3 fatty acids) and a relatively high level of "bad fats" (those with omega-6 fatty acids, that promote inflammation and heart disease). If you want a blander fish, go for cod or bass or something. And remember, fish shouldn't smell or taste "fishy". If it does, it's not fresh. The only fish that should be "fishy" is mackerel. THIS BIT MIGHT BE GROSS: And IMO farmed tilapia is pretty gross--it's farmed so much because it survives well in captivity at a very high density (ie a lot of fish in a small tank). That means they basically live in, and subsist on, Poop Soup. Other species of fish won't survive that treatment so they aren't farmed that densely.

Salmon is really awesome. My favorite (and incredibly easy) way to make it is slow-cooked: http://articles.latimes.com/2007/apr/18/food/fo-lowandslow18/4 (starts here and goes on to the next page of the article). It gives an unusual delicate texture and an amazing flavor. And impossible to overcook.

If you can find the Fish and Seafood cookbook from Hermes House Publishing (there are several versions), it has really amazing recipes that aren't too hard.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
If you're eating fish for its health benefits, tilapia isn't a great choice. It has a very low level of "good fats" (those with omega-3 fatty acids) and a relatively high level of "bad fats" (those with omega-6 fatty acids, that promote inflammation and heart disease). If you want a blander fish, go for cod or bass or something. And remember, fish shouldn't smell or taste "fishy". If it does, it's not fresh. The only fish that should be "fishy" is mackerel. THIS BIT MIGHT BE GROSS: And IMO farmed tilapia is pretty gross--it's farmed so much because it survives well in captivity at a very high density (ie a lot of fish in a small tank). That means they basically live in, and subsist on, Poop Soup. Other species of fish won't survive that treatment so they aren't farmed that densely.

Salmon is really awesome. My favorite (and incredibly easy) way to make it is slow-cooked: http://articles.latimes.com/2007/apr/18/food/fo-lowandslow18/4 (starts here and goes on to the next page of the article). It gives an unusual delicate texture and an amazing flavor. And impossible to overcook.

If you can find the Fish and Seafood cookbook from Hermes House Publishing (there are several versions), it has really amazing recipes that aren't too hard.

Actually farmed fish do not live in "poop soup" especially not the aquaponics. The ammonia level alone would kill them within a few hours. 90% of the water is cycled out each day. In the aquaponics system it's pushed through a plant system where the plants filter, clean, and nutrient enrich the water and then it's fed back into the fish tank where the fish now have clean and nutrient rich, oxygenated water. The system also requires it to be 100% organic because the fish do not tolerate any outside chemicals, pesticides, or fertilizers. All the fertilization comes from the fish for the plant all the oxygen and clean water comes from the plant for the fish. It's a pretty cool system, most of them you could read the numbers on the bottom of the tank because they're so clean. Even in those super clean tanks if the pumps fail you'll start losing fish in just a few short hours due to lack of oxygen and high ammonia, so keeping a super clean tank is absolutely vital.