PDA

View Full Version : Getting birth control pills 'off the grid' - Planned Parenthood?

Perks
11-30-2010, 02:58 AM
If a woman wanted to obtain birth control pills, but not have record of it with her insurance company, can she but them separately via some organization like Planned Parenthood or a local clinic?

Medievalist
11-30-2010, 03:06 AM
Yes.

She needs to be 18 or older. If she's a young woman, it's likely that they'll offer her an implant as a better option.

She needs to pick the pharmacy carefully. Some of them are quite intrusive, increasingy so.

Perks
11-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Hmmm. No on-premises pharmacies? Good to know.

Cyia
11-30-2010, 03:19 AM
Try University pharmacies (especially if she's got a friend that age who can get them for her). Some of them have "kits" they give out to students that include birth control pills, condoms, etc.

Drachen Jager
11-30-2010, 03:24 AM
Can't you just order them on the internet?

Medievalist
11-30-2010, 03:25 AM
Hmmm. No on-premises pharmacies? Good to know.

Some Planned Parenthood places have them.

But honestly, even a GP or Gyno will usually have a woman take a three month supply of a pill to try first, as free samples.

Gynos get so many free samples that one guy I know uses the expired pills as plant supplements for his orchids.

There are by the way good reasons for prescriptions for pills and implants; they can have very adverse affects on some women. It's rare, but serious. And sometimes it takes a while to find the one that's right for an individual.

You can call a Planned Parenthood clinic and ask; tell them right up front you're a writer. They get lots of weird hate calls.

BTW--they are so protective of privacy that the won't even call you at home without permission.

Also: quite a lot of insurance policies don't see conception control, whether pills, diaphragms or implants, as covered items.

My parents were early supporters; it is, quite literally, why I'm on this planet.

JulieHowe
11-30-2010, 03:29 AM
If a woman wanted to obtain birth control pills, but not have record of it with her insurance company, can she but them separately via some organization like Planned Parenthood or a local clinic?

From Planned Parenthood, yes. I don't know about public health clinics. In the old days PP used to provide the birth-control pills on-site, but I believe this policy may have changed in recent years.

PattiTheWicked
11-30-2010, 04:01 AM
Back in the 1990s, I worked in a family practice center with seven physicians and a nurse practitioner. We had a literal CLOSET full of nothing but birth control pills. Drug reps would drop them off by the case. We were in a very rural area -- I'm talking about the kind of place where patients sometimes offered a cake or a chicken in lieu of payment -- so we had very few patients who could actually afford either insurance or pills. Believe me, those free samples kept the population of our county from doubling annually, and insurance companies never even came into play.

Perks
11-30-2010, 04:05 AM
Great info, guys. Thanks!