How big would the scar be?

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
My heroine gets shot--by a pistol, circa 1817. It's night, and both she and the shooter are on horseback, so the bullet only grazes her side/ waist. I have it set up so she can douse it with some alcohol and wrap it tightly with a cloth bandage. However, as I was rewriting a love scene between the hero/heroine, I realized that the hero might see the healing scar, which would lead to some lovely complications in the plot. However, I'm not quite sure how large or noticeable the scar would be. Given the details I've provided, would the scar be a short, pinkish (still healing) slash across her waist? Something else? Oh, and are my details above, about her being able to treat the wound, herself, and not have to get stitches, plausible?

Thanks!

ETA:

You didn't say how long between the shooting and the love scene.

Oops. A little relevant. Uh . . . 3 weeks to a month between shooting and love scene. I would think enough time that it's mostly healed over, but still a little pink. Would that take more like two months? Sorry, I know very little about medical issues, other than how to bandage up preschoolers with skinned knees and such.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
You didn't say how long between the shooting and the love scene.

Stitches would depend on how deep the wound was. It really depends. Probably they'd be a good idea.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
>I have it set up so she can douse it with some alcohol

Unless it's high-proof vodka, not such a good idea. There's still plenty of sugar in bourbon/whiskey/rum, and bacteria like sugar. Wine is right out.

Soap and hot water.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I had a cellmate that was shot seven times. The bullet wound scars weren't all that big, but there were surgery scars on either side (long ones) so from the neck down, dude looked like Frankenstein.

That was in the 80s. I'm sure they've gotten better since then

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
>I have it set up so she can douse it with some alcohol

Unless it's high-proof vodka, not such a good idea. There's still plenty of sugar in bourbon/whiskey/rum, and bacteria like sugar. Wine is right out.

Soap and hot water.

Bacteria can't eat sugar if they're dead. Any concentration above 20-30% is effective, although interestingly the effectiveness goes down after you reach 70%. Wine will work better than nothing at all (yes better than soap and water), but it's not ideal.

Last edited:

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My heroine gets shot--by a pistol, circa 1817. It's night, and both she and the shooter are on horseback, so the bullet only grazes her side/ waist. I have it set up so she can douse it with some alcohol and wrap it tightly with a cloth bandage. However, as I was rewriting a love scene between the hero/heroine, I realized that the hero might see the healing scar, which would lead to some lovely complications in the plot. However, I'm not quite sure how large or noticeable the scar would be. Given the details I've provided, would the scar be a short, pinkish (still healing) slash across her waist? Something else? Oh, and are my details above, about her being able to treat the wound, herself, and not have to get stitches, plausible?

Thanks!

ETA:

Oops. A little relevant. Uh . . . 3 weeks to a month between shooting and love scene. I would think enough time that it's mostly healed over, but still a little pink. Would that take more like two months? Sorry, I know very little about medical issues, other than how to bandage up preschoolers with skinned knees and such.

You might want to PM an AWer named Chase. He's the only one I know that can speak first-hand about bullet wounds and healing times, having been there and done that, so to speak.
Stan

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
Bacteria can't eat sugar if they're dead. Any concentration above 20-30% is effective, although interestingly the effectiveness goes down after you reach 70%. Wine will work better than nothing at all (yes better than soap and water), but it's not ideal.

...and when the booze dries on the wound, only the sugar is left.

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick note to say that with bullet wounds, it's often the bruising that takes forever to heal and is quite extensive, too. Even a graze from a pistol would look like a heavyweight boxer has just punched her in the side. By three weeks they'll probably be mostly healed but it's something to keep in mind.