What Do You Consider a Reasonable Response Time?

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
I've been on both sides of the query-go-round and I know there is a lot of angst among writers as they wait for responses to queries. As a writer, what do you consider a reasonable response time for a query? A partial? A full?

And is there a response time that feels too fast? For example, when you send a query and you hear back ten minutes later, do you feel like the agent is just blowing you off?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
A reasonable response time is when the real response time matches what it says on the agent's website is their response time.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I think a "reasonable" response time is almost as subjective as our personal taste in books. And it depends a lot on the agent being queried. If you're querying a former-assistant-turned-agent who's trying to establish themselves and actively building their list, you might expect a faster response to your query. If you're querying an established agent with a full list who stays open to queries just in case that special one stumbles across his desk, but who isn't actively signing new clients, you don't expect as fast of a response--queries aren't a priority for this agent.

As for the speedy response time question, I don't necessarily think a fast response is the agent blowing you off. What if you just happened to query as the agent is getting to the bottom of their query queue, so they reply to yours as well as those they've been sitting on for three weeks? It isn't beyond the realm of possibility. :)

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I agree with ChaosTitan, it all depends on the agent, that being said, I also agree with waylander.

In this industry, though there is a lot of nail-biting, anxious jitters, I think we've also learned to be a bit patient and have the understanding the agent will get back to you when they can, it could take days, weeks, or even months.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
It doesn't matter to me, except I like when they do respond during whatever time span they have created. I also like when they put at their website that they respond during a certain time only if interested. I like straight forward and honest.

Gokstad

Mostly clueless
Registered
Reaction score
I think a "reasonable" response time . . . depends a lot on the agent being queried . . . . If you're querying an established agent with a full list who stays open to queries just in case that special one stumbles across his desk, but who isn't actively signing new clients, you don't expect as fast of a response--queries aren't a priority for this agent.

On the other hand, I got my all-time fastest response ever (7 minutes) from Robert Gottlieb, the head of Trident Media Group. Go figure.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
As long as it takes to get a yes. I'm always busy, so I never have worried about response time for anything.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I like a month for queries, 6 weeks for partials and 8 weeks for fulls. But if an agent has a posted timeline or has specified a timeline in correspondence, that's fine, so long as he/she sticks to it.

All rejection stings, whether it comes in 30 minutes or 30 days. Personally, I preferred quicker rejections so that I could move on. I think the only time I felt blown off while querying was when I received form rejections on fulls.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
Personally, I like a month for queries, 6 weeks for partials and 8 weeks for fulls. But if an agent has a posted timeline or has specified a timeline in correspondence, that's fine, so long as he/she sticks to it.

All rejection stings, whether it comes in 30 minutes or 30 days. Personally, I preferred quicker rejections so that I could move on. I think the only time I felt blown off while querying was when I received form rejections on fulls.
That's low