Query nudge for agent who normally responds to everything?

Eiro

Pull no punches!
Registered
Reaction score
I not-so-recently queried an agent who normally responds to everything -- this isn't a "no response = no thanks" agent. I'm going on three months here. Is there a polite way to check in on a query? Do I assume the agent never got it and send the query as though it's the first time? Or do I say, "I queried you on X date but received no response and would like to know if you have any interest in my novel," or something along those lines? Or do I just write the agent off as not interested?

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If it's been that long and it's not a no response = reject, I just re-send the query with a polite bit on top along the lines of "I queried you X months ago, but it must have gotten lost in cyberspace. My original query, for your convenience, is below. Thank you for your time and consideration."

No one's shot me for it yet, and I've had a handful of agents write me back within the week with polite rejects -- with the added note that they never got the first one. So that does happen.

I think if you're polite, reasonable, and have double-checked the guidelines, there's probably nothing to worry about (though I'm no guru on the subject). I tend to assume that agents are nice, reasonable people who won't be bothered by nice, reasonable e-mails sent after a very reasonable time.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I not-so-recently queried an agent who normally responds to everything -- this isn't a "no response = no thanks" agent. I'm going on three months here. Is there a polite way to check in on a query? Do I assume the agent never got it and send the query as though it's the first time? Or do I say, "I queried you on X date but received no response and would like to know if you have any interest in my novel," or something along those lines? Or do I just write the agent off as not interested?

What does her website or other source give as her normal response time? I would say wait that long plus at least two weeks.

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score

If they're a normally respond to everything type (like Nathan Bransford used to be) I'd assume they never got it and just re-send.

You may want to consider sending from a different computer (your ISP may be blocked) or sending via a different method (the agent who signed me never got my original e-query, but responded to a snail mail follow up two months later)

koatree

new fish. thick scales.
Registered
Reaction score
I queried an agent who stated she tries to respond within the week. After a few months I did what the others did and re-sent it with a friendly and brief explanation.

I eventually received contact 1 month after that. I assume they get backed up. Can't hurt to re-submit though.

Eiro

Pull no punches!
Registered
Reaction score
There isn't a stated response time on the agent's site, so I think I'll wait until the 3-month mark and resend then. Thanks, guys!

aekap

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat (I actually looked on QT, and mine is the lone NR in a sea of responses from several weeks ago. I'm thinking I'll wait until after the New Year before I send it again.

Is it bad form to resubmit using my updated query letter? I've rewritten it since I q'd her last month.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Check them on Query Tracker, too. There is one agent that says he responds within two weeks, but when you look at the actual response times he's had lately, it's more like two or three months. Granted, in that case I *did* resend according to his instructions after three weeks (and got a full request, for what that counts for), but generally if I see that someone's times are lagging, I'll just wait. Some people are really slow with queries. I discovered one agent last year who averaged six months.

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
Is it bad form to resubmit using my updated query letter? I've rewritten it since I q'd her last month.

I wouldn't think it'd be bad form.

If you get no response after 3 months, assume it never arrived and put your best foot forward.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Do NOT resend without checking first. Few things are as irritating as receiving something you already have. At the three month mark, you simply inquire about the status. This is all you should do.

Three months is not a terribly long wait for a yes. Even normally fast agents can often take six months or more.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I wouldn't think it'd be bad form.

If you get no response after 3 months, assume it never arrived and put your best foot forward.

It is bad form, though, to send another query letter. It does not matter what they normally do or do not do, as they could just be really busy right now.

I don't think it's a good idea to ever make assumptions. But, I do think a polite email asking for a status is appropriate.

I get the feeling that many writers expect agents to be quick. Even those agents who do normally respond quickly have times when they are slower than usual. For writers, anything to do with trying to get published is a slow process. It's just the way it is.

I say...patience is a virtue. :D