Too Much Paxil?

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
If a character overdoses on the anti-depressant Paxil (not fatal amount but enough to be sick), how fast will they start to feel the effects of that (the tremors, nausea, sweating, racing heart, etc)? How fast will it happen?

Character does not have much in their stomach to start with and was drinking earlier but not drunk now if that matters.

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas on this. :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
You should be able to find the peak serum level of Paxil online somewhere. It's in the full versions of the package inserts.

If the dose were going toward lethal, he'd feel it before the peak serum level. How much before? Man, that's tough. A rough guess would be at least a couple of hours before anything really noticeable except maybe nausea and dizziness. But you'd have to see what the curve looks like going up to peak serum level.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Peak serum level. There's a phrase I did not know so that should help. Thanks.

My character is taking the Paxil over about an hour, a couple of pills at a time. Would that affect how long it takes to hit peak serum? Does that make it any different than downing the same amount all at once?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Over an hour won't be very much different than all at once. It would change the peak serum level a bit. The most it would put it back would be an hour. I'd probably figure a half hour for an average of that.

Paxil is fast-acting, so I'm sure she'd feel effects before the peak. But how far before is hard, lol! I'm sure it varies with individuals, too.

I OD'ed on a tricyclic antidepressant because of an odd metabolizing thing my liver does, btw (at 19)! My blood levels were 6 times higher than they should have been. I walked around with symptoms for a couple of months. I totally could have sued the doc, because he told me I must be exaggerating instead of checking any of them. I ended up in a coma after a New Year's night of drinking. The drinking was just too much. Crazy, crazy stuff, but I'm your girl for symptoms at the end, lol! The alcohol had worn off and I felt fine before I went downhill. The symptoms walking around would have been more subtle than your character, obviously, but they were there. Heart stuff, mostly.